GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Discussion Thread #2

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
when transmissions break in these situations, is the car still drivable without a specific gear?

The broken parts are tumbling around inside. Driveable? Kind of. But the more you drive the more chance those pieces get caught next to the ring gear and break through the case (happened on my buddies 02M). I drove mine like 2 miles to my buddies house when mine went and immediately took the trans out.

So basically, no. You can't drive it when it happens. I shredded third on the k04.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jettaglx91

Go Kart Champion
Like JR said there are options for gear upgrades, also options for case strengthening.

Unlike what was said however there are benefits to do the upgrades before failure but most done want to spend the money up front as preventative

kern417

Go Kart Champion
Will misfire like crazy. Think of big block with big cam

maybe you have the inside scoop on this. why don't more (read: any) tuners offer a cold-start delete file? isn't that all you need? even if it's a $50 upgrade people would scoop it up. it just seems dumb that we seem to be getting more hardware upgrades than tuners can support at this point.

I'm all for preventative.....

It may be a good time to crack the case again, inspect the synchros, install the 5th - 6th Selector Fork Reinforcement Kit (already have 1-4th steel forks), 4th gear input shaft support and gearbox reinforcement plate

post pics. i have a spare 02q on standby but don't really want to build it. i'd rather just switch to the beetle trans if it'll take my wavetrac.

GTR_Killer

Go Kart Champion
when transmissions break in these situations, is the car still drivable without a specific gear?

Barely. At first the gear you shred will be like a slipping clutch so you will think you are fine to get some where. I was planning on driving my car back to charlotte to fixed it ND just 5th and 6th gear it all the way home 3-4hrs away. I got to the Walmart to pick up snacks which was like 4-8miles from where I shredded. Pulled into a parking spot. A piece got stuck in a gear I guess and that was that. Couldn't get into any gears and had to be towed from there. That pic is on my instagram, lol

Sounds about right. Honestly if you are going foward with all that you should think about another car for back up or daily driver./?

This^^^^ 100% this

Calkulin

Ready to race!
Just at idle? Does it drive fine once at operating temp?

It will misfire about the same as if you zipped tied the flaps open during the initial startup high rev but once it switches to closed loop mode, it will run fine until the next cold start

maybe you have the inside scoop on this. why don't more (read: any) tuners offer a cold-start delete file? isn't that all you need? even if it's a $50 upgrade people would scoop it up. it just seems dumb that we seem to be getting more hardware upgrades than tuners can support at this point.

The only one I know that promises to fix it is HPA with their tune, which won't help those running other tuners/custom tunes. Eurodyne, with their barebones Maestro file, won't be able to fix it since you need access to other maps that Chris over at Eurodyne say don't exist on the TSI platform even though I have personally seen them using AlienTech tools :iono:

So if you're the type that likes to tune it yourself or have someone local tune it, the only option would be to use AlienTech tools to get access to the whole ECU, which can get costly for the whole setup. But then again, you can start your own tuning company with that setup like one known tuner on here did ;)