GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Will leaving the hood open kill the battery?

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
Stupid question.. I know when you open the hood that it shows on the cluster, but does that time out eventually? or does it stay on forever? I had the car in the garage for about 3 weeks with the hood up, and my battery was stone dead when I got in it today. The battery is basically brand new.. only a few months old. Would leaving the hood up kill the battery over time?

simpson110

Ready to race!
Maybe it's the same as opening any door and it will keep the fuel pum primed. Idk just guessing

Gti For Me

Go Kart Champion
Stupid question.. I know when you open the hood that it shows on the cluster, but does that time out eventually? or does it stay on forever? I had the car in the garage for about 3 weeks with the hood up, and my battery was stone dead when I got in it today. The battery is basically brand new.. only a few months old. Would leaving the hood up kill the battery over time?

NO,,,,the system goes to sleep between 3 to 5 mins powers everything off

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
hm.. shit, then I must have a draw somewhere

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
only thing electronic that is wired in is a coolingmist cmgs methanol controller, which does wire straight to the battery, but it has a separate 12v switched lead that activates an internal relay, so I wouldn't expect that to be it. It goes on and off with the key

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
only thing electronic that is wired in is a coolingmist cmgs methanol controller, which does wire straight to the battery, but it has a separate 12v switched lead that activates an internal relay, so I wouldn't expect that to be it. It goes on and off with the key

ThatVWGuy

Ready to race!
I leave my hood propped open frequently in the summer to help everything cool down faster. Never had an issue.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I leave my hood propped open frequently in the summer to help everything cool down faster. Never had an issue.

Not really needed. the water pump will continue to pump coolant around for a few minutes after the car shuts off and if hot the fans will stay on too to keep said coolant cool.