GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best Replacement Hesdlights for me?

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Here is a headlight question for folks that I can't seem to find. For the OEM Golf R HID headlights WITHOUT the ring of LEDs, what is the daytime running light? For the life of me I can't seem to find a picture of what the non-LED Golf R lights look like in "DRL" mode. Can anyone help me out?

At this point unless I happen upon a set of used OSRAM lights (in black) I'm going to go the OEM route. I have mixed feelings on the LED ring of lights. I kind of like them and liked them on my GTI, but I also think they are starting to look dated and the non-LED version might look better in the long run.

I'm not sure if this is the case for all of them but this is one of the pics a google search turned up for me.

KITEWAGON

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm not sure if this is the case for all of them but this is one of the pics a google search turned up for me.

Thanks! That is interesting. I didn't even realize there was a light there. I think I light that better than the ring of LEDs. I think this is the lighting option that I'll pursue for my car.

Golf R OEM HIDs- w/o AFS setup

ksandman

Ready to race!
They're like $1000

The golf R headlights are $1000 from ecs

I would say if you want the OEM headlights and it has chrome, open them up and use rubbing alcohol to remove the chrome and revile gloss black.
They don't put clear coat on the chrome bits.

The chrome pieces are plastic. If you rubbed the chrome off they would be a yellow-ish/white color. You'd have to rub them with alcohol and then paint them black.

Buying the golf R headlights and just swapping them in is not that simple. You have to get the wiring harness, HIDs, ballasts, the full 9, plus do a lot of vag-com tweaks to get them to work. Not to mention the mess with the auto-leveling or whatever the oem lights have. It will be expensive.

ksandman

Ready to race!
These headlights look pretty solid to me OP

https://pgperformance.com/euro-konzept-mk6-golf-hid-15-led-headlights-black-aggressive-look.html

https://pgperformance.com/euro-konzept-mk6-golf-hid-headlight-black-aggressive-look.html

Yes they are knock offs but if you have to use HIDs with these. I don't believe you will suffer low light output. I'll be the guine pig and buy these. They look identical to ed's, which if you go back and search, he was highly talked about years ago. I'm sure these are manufactured in the same place lol.

ksandman

Ready to race!
Here is a headlight question for folks that I can't seem to find. For the OEM Golf R HID headlights WITHOUT the ring of LEDs, what is the daytime running light? For the life of me I can't seem to find a picture of what the non-LED Golf R lights look like in "DRL" mode. Can anyone help me out?

At this point unless I happen upon a set of used OSRAM lights (in black) I'm going to go the OEM route. I have mixed feelings on the LED ring of lights. I kind of like them and liked them on my GTI, but I also think they are starting to look dated and the non-LED version might look better in the long run.

If you get non-led replicas, you can use vagcom and set up your fog lights to be you DRLs.

I believe the golf r without the led rings uses the the led strip on the bumper as a drl.

cchase__

Ready to race!
The chrome pieces are plastic. If you rubbed the chrome off they would be a yellow-ish/white color. You'd have to rub them with alcohol and then paint them black.

I literally did this to my headlights, Just rubbed the chrome off. When you chrome pieces, the under layer must be mirror gloss black. Yes the pieces are plastic, Black plastic, polished to a high shine. This is what creates the foundation to chrome in the first place.

ksandman

Ready to race!
I literally did this to my headlights, Just rubbed the chrome off. When you chrome pieces, the under layer must be mirror gloss black. Yes the pieces are plastic, Black plastic, polished to a high shine. This is what creates the foundation to chrome in the first place.

Interesting. I’ve removed chrome plastic pieces out of headlights on my past vehicles and the plastic was always a white/yellowish tint when I broke the chrome plastic into pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk