GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

100K service - now leaking oil pan

MikeLyons27

hey everyone - I have a question about what is covered under the 100K service and if I should do anything about it.

My car just hit 94K - and needed an oil change. So I took it to the dealer on Feb 18th, and the service guy talked me into doing the 100K service...it went from a $80 oil change to a $377 100K service. I know it was something I would need soon so I went with it.

Anyway. Included in the 100K service was a safety check, and inspection. Yesterday (Feb 26) I noticed a oil stain on my drive way, so I took it in for them to take a look to be sure everything is tightened up. They said that I need a new oil pan, and it would be $626 (!) - and they couldn't release the car to me in the condition it was in.

They gave me a loaner to drive, and the car is now ready to be picked up - and i was thinking- is there any warranty on the service? they checked it week ago and no comments where made on needed a new oil pan, and now I need a $626 repair. I only drove the car back and fourth to work, and didn't drive it on the weekend. I didn't put many miles on the car for 5 days of driving. I didn't do any off roading or anything crazy - it was straight highway driving. I went from planning on paying $80 - to a $1000 bill in a week.

Do you guys have any suggestions? Should I take it up with someone when I go pick it up this afternoon? I don't now where their responsibility lies with a 100K warranty service.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
The fact that the dealer wouldn't release the car to you over a slightly leaky oil pan is ridiculous. They pulled that I am sure just to force you to do the service (unless that's truly Florida law, you definitely couldn't pull that here in CT). If they truly did a safety check and inspection they would've pointed out the leaky oil pan to you before you left after your oil change/service. The fact that they didn't see it during the oil change is even more suspicious. For all we know they didn't full tighten the drain bolt which caused the leak and completely lied about the oil pan all together.

If you have engine & powertrain coverage until 100k, then it would likely be covered. Otherwise sounds like you're going to have to foot the bill. It's a little late to contest anything since it sounds like the pan has already been replaced and you authorized the service

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Interesting for sure.. I would call them out on it for missing it during their "safety inspection and overall check" with your 100k maintenance.

Better yet, where was it leaking from? If the bolt, they likely overtightened it at your oil change and then it started leaking from there (Been through this twice at $600+/repair so I feel your pain). Or if the gasket on the oil pan was leaking, they should have clearly noticed this DURING the oil change. Either way, seems like a quick cover up from someone overtightening your drain bolt and now you are paying for it.

Lower oil pan change sucks on these cars and is not cheap. I'd at least voice my opinion with the service manager.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
Or they stripped your drain plug threads in ur oil pan. Is the leak coming from your drain plug? You should really look into doing ur own matainence I got really tired of monkeys mishandling my car. To date my dealership has scratched my paint because they try to wash it with God knows what, they've dented my sideskirt because they can't find the pinch weld to jack up the car properly, they've lost the cap to my headlight somehow exposing my headlight ballast to water damage, took them 3 days to change my water pump, never gave me a loaner, thier carefree maintenance program is truly carefree they give zero fucks.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Crusader10143

Passed Driver's Ed
My oil pan had some surface rust around the hole where the drain bolt went into. I replaced the oil pan one day in about a half hour and the new drain plug started leaking again. Took it to my buddies shop to get fluid filmed before winter and reaped it down pretty good and hasn't leaked since. Those crush washers definitely needs a solid tighten.

ik1015

beeee patient ^^
Sure oil leaking from pan.....Did you jack up car to check where oil leaked?
Also, check rear main seal and upper timing cover.....

MikeLyons27

Thank you for all of your comments.
My car has not leaked in my drive way before- so now I have to get the oil stain off the cement when I get home today. So it was definitely related to the service. I will bring this up to the manager. I may give a call to corporate just to see if anything can be done, since I did already sign the paperwork for the repair.

Zef - is there a way for me to check to see if my car is still covered under the engine/ power train warranty? I bought the car certified preowned about 4 years ago...

DSGVW, Ik1025 - I don't know where it was leaking from. TBH I figured it was just something loose, and they would just have to top off the oil. I wish I looked....

Boscogn - yea i have to start doing maintenance again on my car. I've just been to busy to work on the car, and figured it was just easier to take it to someone to get the work done.

Last edited:

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
My car has not leaked in my drive way before- so now I have to get the oil stain off the cement when I get home today. So it was definitely related to the service. I will bring this up to the manager. I may give a call to corporate just to see if anything can be done, since I did already sign the paperwork for the repair.

Zef - is there a way for me to check to see if my car is still covered under the engine/ power train warranty? I bought the car certified preowned about 4 years ago...

DSGVW, Ik1025 - I don't know where it was leaking from. TBH I figured it was just something loose, and they would just have to top off the oil. I wish I looked....

Boscogn - yea i have to start doing maintenance again on my car. I've just been to busy to work on the car, and figured it was just easier to take it to someone to get the work done.
I get it but for instance just oil changes even if it costs you more to do yourself is worth it if you save yourself from just 1 senario like this. I get taking the bigger jobs to a shop. but for frequent oil changes you almost end up saving time by doing it yourself. Once you got ur system down oil changes take all but 15-30min. Tire shops will rotate for free. Amazon has good deals and with Prime sub 2day free shipping and if u have their visa u get 5% back as statement credit or $off ur next purchase.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

zef

Drag Racing Champion

I'd check the original invoice/BOS from the dealer. Or just call them, they will be able to tell you. Not sure what VW is but usually most CPO cars are good to 100k

MikeLyons27

Got my car back - and everything is driving ok, so far I haven't noticed any new leaks.
I talked to the service guy and he said that the bolt was leaking, and they noticed a scratch on the oil pan and that I must have hit something.
I don't recall ever hitting anything at least not within the last couple of weeks..

The official notes on the invoice state that the bolt was leaking, and no mention of a scratch.
I called VW corp yesterday, and they where going to call the dealership. I just got off the phone with VW Corp a few minutes ago. They pretty much stated that it was leaking from the bolt, and that I hit something causing the leak. I mentioned that I don't recall hitting anything. And she apologized for the inconvenience...and that was about it.

I guess its VWs word against mine. and I am stuck with a $1000 credit card bill for changing my oil.

Zef- I've checked a few websites, and CPO warranty looks to be 60K miles https://www.autotrader.com/car-shopping/cpo-program-review-volkswagen-238805
I was wondering what type of warranty comes with 100K service? is there any type of guarantee of work with service from the dealer?

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Got my car back - and everything is driving ok, so far I haven't noticed any new leaks.
I talked to the service guy and he said that the bolt was leaking, and they noticed a scratch on the oil pan and that I must have hit something.
I don't recall ever hitting anything at least not within the last couple of weeks..

The official notes on the invoice state that the bolt was leaking, and no mention of a scratch.
I called VW corp yesterday, and they where going to call the dealership. I just got off the phone with VW Corp a few minutes ago. They pretty much stated that it was leaking from the bolt, and that I hit something causing the leak. I mentioned that I don't recall hitting anything. And she apologized for the inconvenience...and that was about it.

I guess its VWs word against mine. and I am stuck with a $1000 credit card bill for changing my oil.

Zef- I've checked a few websites, and CPO warranty looks to be 60K miles https://www.autotrader.com/car-shopping/cpo-program-review-volkswagen-238805
I was wondering what type of warranty comes with 100K service? is there any type of guarantee of work with service from the dealer?

typically if the part goes bad, they will warranty the part but you'll still have to pay for labor.

It's a shame had you waited to authorize the repair you'd be in a better position to fight it. Or just told them to throw some thread tape on it and let you drive home. The part that they wouldn't release the car to you over a leaky drain bolt is criminal.

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
It's pretty difficult for something to hit the bolt given it's position, especially for it to be hard enough to cause a leak. I can't say I've ever read that happening to anyone. The bolt only sticks out maybe 1/2" max, and if you have the plug where you have to use a hex/allen key, it would be nearly impossible because it's even more flush with the pan. You should really fight this...

And like everyone else said, it's complete BS that they can't release the car to you with a small oil leak.