GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW of AG Sends Help w/Tranny Noise

Ms R

Hey All,

I waited to chime in on this one but I think y'all will agree it's good news for all R owners with our beloved manual transmissions: VW •HAS• heard us and is taking this issue •VERY• seriously!

My 2012 2dr R (purchased 3/12/12) went back less than a week later due to odd transmission noise but the master tech wasn't sure if it was normal noise (1st one he'd heard) or if it would settle down. It didn't after 15 months and 6,500 miles. I didnt even get to pull out my carefully researched information (quite a let down!) VW had already given orders to check ALL R's for tranny noise.

Two days later the regional master tech flew out to listen to my tranny noise. Since they could reliably get the noise to replicate, the next step was the engineer from VW AG. Since he wasn't going to arrive for almost a week, I retrieved the car as I had a gear head related activity planned over the weekend. Unfortunately, I think my weekend of fun may have caused the noise to go back into hiding because now even I couldn't replicate it!! We tried it for over an hour and it was silent for the most part.

Fotunately, the engineer believed me about the noise as multiple master techs had heard it. VW can't very well repair what they can't diagnosis and the engineer can't find a permanent solution to a •worldwide• problem until he first knows the root of it. Replacing components in a blind attempt to diagnose a problem is not only expensive but can potentially cause more problems because you're introducing new parts into a very complicated system and there's always the chance repairs can be done incorrectly. Further, the engineer told me that so far the parts he's seen removed from R transmissions show no signs of damage or unusual wear - ie no smoking gun.

They are extremely motivated to find a solution to this issue (aren't we all) and want to keep us very happy and loving our cars. To that end, and with his enthusiastic permission, I am willing to pass on the engineer's contact info. He's a very nice person who just wants to solve this problem. He's willing and able to fly to you to check out your noise. I don't want to post how to contact him publicly so he can concentrate on solving the R problem, which is what he's here for.

Don't lose faith and don't sell a car you love for fear VW considers us redheaded stepchildren! We are indeed loved. Also, keep posting those problems, he did confirm that VW reads the forums.

Good Luck,
Ms R

2012 Golf R 2dr RB