GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GLI vs GTI?

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
Actually, you're wrong. Hatchbacks are in fact the worst possible aerodynamics this side of a U-Haul box truck. Sedans, especially ones with properly sized/located spoilers have much less turbulence and better continuity of laminar air flow. The air flow across the body is what creates the smooth mechanical leverage arm that leads to increased traction. Having your airfoil with an un-tapered, abrupt end, causing chopping in the air flow isn't good for anything. Among other things, as the air fills the partial void/vacuum- it slows down. This is why pick up trucks have shitty gas mileage at speed and why air plane wings aren't shaped like VW Golfs.

Don't get it personally,but it's wrong.Since Hatchbacks can actually afford better aerodynamics than sedans in many cases. The shallow slope of the hatch leading to a sharp cutoff and (relatively) small vertical rear face give a very optimal aerodynamic profile. The steeper slope of a sedan's rear window causes airflow to separate from the body of the car, creating drag.at the end of the day,either GLI or GTI still in the VDub Family.

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
I only see three problems with the GLI-

Too large- personal taste...

Hard plastic door cards- They fixed the dash, but I can't be the only one that rests my arm on the top of the door from time to time

No traction control off button or launch control- This is the huge deal breaker for me and the reason most of the auto mags are getting much slower 1/4 times for the GLI, can't remember where I read it but one mag tested a DSG GLI at 15.1 for the 1/4... or a lot slower than a DSG GTI

<3GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Personally I really like the new jetta, if the GLI was out when I got my GTI I would have had a hard time deciding

plopez712

Passed Driver's Ed
I only see three problems with the GLI-

Too large- personal taste...

Hard plastic door cards- They fixed the dash, but I can't be the only one that rests my arm on the top of the door from time to time

No traction control off button or launch control- This is the huge deal breaker for me and the reason most of the auto mags are getting much slower 1/4 times for the GLI, can't remember where I read it but one mag tested a DSG GLI at 15.1 for the 1/4... or a lot slower than a DSG GTI

AWE came out with a DIY way, to turn off/on the traction control. I don't know about the launch control.
http://www.awe-tuning.com/products/...-jetta-gli-traction-control-deactivation.html

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion