GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Exterior / Interior Care (washing, detailing, exterior repairs)

Old 11-21-2017, 06:43 PM   #1
FocalPoint
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: MKV GTI/MKVI GTI
Another interior leak thread

So I got into my car and noticed a bunch of water on the rubber mats. It hadn't rained yesterday when the car was in use, but I figured maybe it dripped in through a bad spot in the weatherseal on the door like it used to a while ago. Well, as I'm driving, water is dripping onto my feet, so I realize it's coming from within the run off drain system somewhere.

I get back home, and open the sunroof fully and pour water down the driver's side, and see it drain off like normal onto the ground below behind the fender wall, but I notice a few drops dripping in from just under the in-dash fuse box as well. I don't want to start pulling everything apart just yet, but I pull off the dash fuse panel and the small trim piece between the hood hatch trim and the a pillar, and water appears to be entering the car from somewhere behind the a-pillar, or at least this is where the water is mostly manifesting itself via the sunroof drain.

How horrific of a fix is this, and is there a DIY to taking off the A-pillar? I assume no screws because the air bag is there, right?
Old 11-22-2017, 03:07 PM   #2
FocalPoint
Formula 3000 Champion

Alright, pulled the A-pillar and the driver's side headliner, which of course is coming apart... thanks vw. Started pouring water into the drain, and no real issues, no leaks oddly enough. Tube seats fine. I can pull it off, but there's no real need to, I don't think. I then accidentally splashed water on the track, shown here, and noticed it leak through onto the headliner. So it would seem the seal there is down. Going to grab some rubber cement and tuck it down in there. See if that fixes it. Water shouldn't really make it onto the track, but in case it does, this should hopefully fix it.

Old 11-22-2017, 06:54 PM   #3
FocalPoint
Formula 3000 Champion

I take it back, that portion of the sunroof is not weather sealed, so it leaks if water gets there. However, there shouldn't be any water there unless the drains are plugged up and overwhelmed in a heavy rain. So while the driver's side is passing water just fine, it appears it wasn't passing it quick enough, hence my problem. Not to mention the passenger side is apparently blocked up. I poured hot water mixed with a little CLR/bleach combo and it cleared the sunroof res almost instantly, vs letting it slowly pour out. I'm hoping it's cleared, but I don't see water leaving the passenger side channel.

In fact, I don't see a passenger side drain end point at all. Lifting up the rain tray cowl, I didn't see any nipple at all, vs the one I could visually see on the driver's side. I tried fishing some weed whacker thread into it, but it's not strong enough to move anything, and I am hating the shit out of these A-pillars. What is the proper tool to use to clean these drains? I've been told speedometer cable, etc, but I was also told there was a proper tool, as well...

Is there a way to access the passenger side drain point from the point itself? I really don't want to take the dash apart.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:40 AM   #4
FocalPoint
Formula 3000 Champion

Bump
Old 11-24-2017, 10:51 AM   #5
MMKAY6
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI Autobahn
Not an expert on leaks as I've not had one (yet) on my MK6 but I do remember reading a few years back that the drain tubes for the sunroof on the early MK6s (I assume '11 would fall into early) were too short which caused them to eventually leak into the interior instead of dumping the water outside the vehicle as intended.

If it is in fact a matter of just unclogging the drain tubes then you can get small drain snakes at Home Depot, I think they have one called handy snakes which are small enough for drain holes.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:17 PM   #6
FocalPoint
Formula 3000 Champion

I might have to go that route. Oddly that after 6 years, almost 7 it would manifest now. It has never done this until now, and living in SFL with hurricanes, the car literally has had hundreds of gallons of water dumped on it. I just wish I could access the drain point, and not just the feed point.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:48 PM   #7
FocalPoint
Formula 3000 Champion

Bump, pulled the cowl up as far as I could. Saw a lot of debris in the area where I assume the drain ends, so I'm either going to flush, vacuum or blow the area out. Someone also recommended nylon clothesline, just wish there was an easy access route, as I'd rather not pull the wipers.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:08 PM   #8
zrickety
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 142k+
Pulling the wipers is better than the headliner! Just had mine out thanks to falling fabric, one of the drain hoses was popped off in the back...don't know if it happened with removing the headliner but it hasn't rained here in awhile. Popped the hose back on, headliner back in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
Well i did use a breaker bar to snug up that nut instead of a torque wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:47 PM   #9
FocalPoint
Formula 3000 Champion

Well my 3 year old headliner is fucked regardless. So eventually it'll have to be dropped and redone, but I'm going after market this time around. Hopefully it'll do better than the OEM shit they're using with an avg lifespan of 3 years.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:05 PM   #10
FocalPoint
Formula 3000 Champion

Alright, decided to try the wiper pull.

Wipers came up easy, I sprayed penetrating lube in on the nuts and let it sit for about 15mins. Nuts came off easy, blade arms took a bit of finesse. Came up pretty easy though, unlike what others have claimed. The cowl did give me more fuck-around room without the arms attached, but there was no easy way of taking the cowl out/off. I didn't want to have to fuck with the windshield track or worry about creating another interior leak for myself, so i carefully bent the cowl high enough to get my hand in on both sides to reach the drain nipples.

Driver's side was easy, it's pretty far back, but if you shine a flashlight in there, you can see it, no sweat. Pinched it and got a whole bunch of nasty black shit on my fingers.

The passenger side is a bitch though. There's some sort of heat deflector or shield that shifts air into the ambient/hot air intake for the interior. If you can get leverage, you can unhook it from its housing and slide it a little further over to access the passenger side nipple. I squeeze that one too, and same black gunk. Now both drains are free flowing, and I dumped hot, soapy water down the tracks of both with a little peroxide in it for good measure. Seems fine now.

Cross your fingers, but that seems to have done the trick. I was winging this, so no pics, but I can dig up what I saw if need be.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:12 PM   #11
turbo20
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: mk6 gti
Hi buddy, any update? Mine has a leak at the same spot.

Thanks

never mind, turned out to be the driver side sunroof drain was clogged.

Last edited by turbo20; 03-04-2018 at 10:38 PM.
turbo20 is offline   Reply With Quote