GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis | Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GolfMK6. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GolfMK6 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK6 so we can keep this place running!

Old 03-03-2018, 05:41 PM   #1
bbqchipsfan
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2011 GTI (Manual, 4-door, CSG)
Upgraded shocks/struts with H&R springs

Hi guys,

Wanted to get your advice on which route I should take to fix my suspension. I installed H&R lowering springs on my car about ~6 months ago. It's my first lowered car so I wanted to go with a moderate drop which is why I chose lowering springs over coilovers. The ride quality wasn't affected immediately, but over time it has become really bouncy, intolerable, and sometimes dangerous so I think it's time to upgrade my shocks/struts or switch to coilovers.

Questions:
1) If I'm content with my current drop, would simply upgrading my shocks/struts solve my problem of a bouncy ride, or would I need to switch to coilovers? Both performance and comfort are important to me, but if i had to pick one, it would be comfort.

2) If I go shocks/struts route, it sseems like Bilstein and Konis are the brands most recommend. I have done extensive research into both and I think I want to go with Koni STR.T's. For what I'm trying to do, would these be appropriate or do you recommend the Bilstein B8s or Koni Yellows/FSD?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Last edited by bbqchipsfan; 03-03-2018 at 06:15 PM.
bbqchipsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 05:55 PM   #2
Tyler12108
Oval Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI
those shocks will fix the bounce but might be a bit stiff if you're concerned about comfort

Last edited by Tyler12108; 03-03-2018 at 06:01 PM.
Tyler12108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:20 PM   #3
bbqchipsfan
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2011 GTI (Manual, 4-door, CSG)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler12108 View Post
those shocks will fix the bounce but might be a bit stiff if you're concerned about comfort
Just updated my post after finding more threads on this forum on Koni STR.T/Yellow/FSD. I believe your comment was if I went Yellow - do you think STR.T would be better for comfort?

I plan on installing it & leaving it, so adjustability isn't a deal breaker. I also have never tracked the car (nor do I plan on doing it lol).

Let me know.
bbqchipsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:43 PM   #4
moarlo
Passed Driver's Ed

Drives: 2017 gli
Im 100% happy with the str.t’s on my golf r, running in conjunction with h&r super sports
moarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 02:41 AM   #5
snobrdrdan
Formula 2 Champion

Drives: a VW
Send a message via AIM to snobrdrdan
STr.T's are close to the equivalent of Koni Sports on the full soft setting

If you don't want them stiffer, or the flexibility/adjustability of going stiffer, then get the STr.T's. They're also cheaper too:
https://www.tunersports.com/koni-str...-2_p16098.html
Old 03-08-2018, 12:09 PM   #6
zef
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: 2013 GTI
I enjoy my Koni Yellows but agree they're on the firm side. STR.T are a great option. Just get a good set of shocks and you'll be fine. H&R are a bit much for the stock shocks to handle

zef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:11 PM   #7
sniper27
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI DE
I have SRT.T with DG springs. While they do feel really good initially, I find that they wear out pretty quickly and becomes bouncy and too soft. It actually bottoms out if I hit a bump or did hard enough. It comes with a lifetime warranty, but it's a hassle to remove it and ship it back and reinstalling a new set every couple years. I plan of dumping mine soon and just go with Koni yellows. This is of course my preference. Some people may be satisfied with the STR.T.
sniper27 is offline   Reply With Quote