GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Discussion Thread #2

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
I wish someone would just give me like $14k for the thing so I could move along. I made a spreadsheet a few weeks ago, and selling at crack used prices there is at least $11k worth of shit on this thing, and that's not counting getting anything for the motor stuff. So basically 3k for the car, 11k for parts. Anyone? LOL.

Edit: And agreed, out of the box LSD, stupid power with an OEM turbo, not to mention LIGHT. I know HS Tunings base model 4 door MK7 without the spare or tools weighed 2800 pounds..

I'll never sell it. Nobody will ever pay what it's worth to me. I'd rather build a real racecar than get another gti to mod. There's always gonna be something bigger better and faster. Once you can let that go you can achieve peace lol.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
I'll never sell it. Nobody will ever pay what it's worth to me. I'd rather build a real racecar than get another gti to mod. There's always gonna be something bigger better and faster. Once you can let that go you can achieve peace lol.

I have this thing where I can't own two cars. A car and a truck, yes (I do now), but not two cars. So I can't force myself to keep the gti and have another car to drive. So I either keep the GTI and buy a nice truck, or drive a beater truck and a really nice car. The GTI is a nice car, but mine is getting up there in mileage. When it has 200k on it I don't want to keep dumping money into it.

First world problems I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
By then you wil have replaced anything that can wear out so it will be like a newer car lol

This is very true. I'll probably do like everyone else and keep it forever. I bought the MK6 because I went balls out on my MK4 and wanted something simpler. 6 years later, MK6 is at the same spot. LOL

On another note, passed inspection and emissions today. WINNNN

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion

this all day...

I have this thing where I can't own two cars. A car and a truck, yes (I do now), but not two cars. So I can't force myself to keep the gti and have another car to drive. So I either keep the GTI and buy a nice truck, or drive a beater truck and a really nice car. The GTI is a nice car, but mine is getting up there in mileage. When it has 200k on it I don't want to keep dumping money into it.

First world problems I know.

that's why I got a Kia base model, 6-speed for fun.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
this all day...

that's why I got a Kia base model, 6-speed for fun.

That's what a lot of people do, but then you have a cheap car you drive 99% of the time, and the expensive one you drive 1% of the time. My theory is if it's not getting driven weekly it's not worth owning, hence my one car rule. The truck I keep around to smash into shit in the snow with and haul furniture, my Z1000, kayaks, tailgating, etc. And even that gets driven every week.

My dad has an ~800whp GT500 and I bust his balls all winter for being a pussy and not putting snows on it, lol.

jettaglx91

Go Kart Champion
Tell me about it.

Mk7s are such a better platform on the whole. Lighter, better fuel system, out of the box lsd, no oil issues.

The fuel system isn't really any better, it's just that the ecu allows for port injection. Still hit fuel limitation a little past 400 without adding it.

None have an lsd in the traditional sense. The performance pack gti has an "lsd" but it's not what you're thinking of inside the trans, it's an electronic controlled clutch pack between the trans and passenger axle

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
That's what a lot of people do, but then you have a cheap car you drive 99% of the time, and the expensive one you drive 1% of the time. My theory is if it's not getting driven weekly it's not worth owning, hence my one car rule. The truck I keep around to smash into shit in the snow with and haul furniture, my Z1000, kayaks, tailgating, etc. And even that gets driven every week.

My dad has an ~800whp GT500 and I bust his balls all winter for being a pussy and not putting snows on it, lol.

I agree, if you own a car drive it or why own it...

That's actually the biggest reason I ever consider getting rid of the GTI. I work from home and my wife stays at home with the 3 kids. If I leave more than likely we all leave. So till the oldest is in a booster the GTI isn't getting driven much. However based on my wants/needs I can't touch another vehicle that could replace my GTI for under $50k and that seems ridiculous when I own the GTI outright. So I'm making plans to change the car up dramatically over the next few years at which point it can be a track car and I can pick up the next money pit lol

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
my goal is fun daily, winter beater, and race car. then i'll be satisfied.

Make the winter beater a small pickup. I bought a ranger this year, one with 196000 miles and rust. It's literally "loads" of fun. Just Tuesday I was driving home from work and there was a random trail off the side of the highway (4 lane) I noticed while I was stuck in traffic. Through it in 4-hi and blasted up it, covered in mud and wet leaves. The amount of giggles were uncontrollable. Not to mention it made moving and buying big stuff incredibly more easy. Couch? No problem. 10 tires, toolbox, air compressor, welder all in one trip? Yep. It's fantastic.

Edit: Pic for fun, GTi in "winter" mode and said Ranger.

And to stay on topic, these came in last week. Will be tearing into it next week.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
Make the winter beater a small pickup. I bought a ranger this year, one with 196000 miles and rust. It's literally "loads" of fun. Just Tuesday I was driving home from work and there was a random trail off the side of the highway (4 lane) I noticed while I was stuck in traffic. Through it in 4-hi and blasted up it, covered in mud and wet leaves. The amount of giggles were uncontrollable. Not to mention it made moving and buying big stuff incredibly more easy. Couch? No problem. 10 tires, toolbox, air compressor, welder all in one trip? Yep. It's fantastic.

still planning to upgrade from the outback but it does pretty good for what i need it to do. i just hate how trucks drive. if anything i'd get a crossover or smaller suv. i saw some diesel touregs and x3s for pretty cheap that i considered. but once i get a fun daily and lose the desire to drive the jetta on the street just to get rid of the bug, i can really go crazy with it. it's def expensive to have a car you don't drive but a handful of times a year but a purpose built car will always perform better, so i don't mind having a couple cars that are good in different ways. right now it just sucks because i barely drive the jetta AND the outback sucks to drive daily lol.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Can anyone help me out finding this piece? I would like to add a 1" port to a silicone hose, and have searched high and low and got nothing. I made a thread with some pics HERE.

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion

DaveGLI

Ready to race!
Really not feeling like reading 413 pages of most likely frivolous speculation and bullshit... soooo

The question is, I know in 2012 Sammy mentioned in his Myth-Busted Injector thread that NO Drop in pistons exist outside of Mahle (i'm assuming he means the IE Spec EA888 Gen 1 mahle pistons)

So the question is, does this still hold true? or are the JE 2.0TSI pistons still problematic? And what is the issue with other pistons outside of the Mahle's?

is it the material? I know the Mahle's have a propriety material that is high strength and low/stock-like expansion properties..?

I run Mahle's in my 3076R 2.0L Stroker A4 just...fyi.

DaveGLI

Ready to race!
Did the math for the JE Pistons..
https://www.jepistons.com/Products/314311.aspx

It SHOULD work.

Cylinder Head Volume: 46cc's
Cylinder head Gasket Volume (0.9mm hg) = 4.93cc's

Piston Dome vol = -10.8cc
(-4.3cc)

Total = 55.23

82.5mm x 92.8mm = 496cc

E-CR = (Vh + Vc) / VC