GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Discussion Thread #2

a3scott20

Ready to race!
for people who like to see the LO412 logs. I might get LO4XX logs soon as friend's S3 is still in the tuning process, LO4XX is a truly beast :thumbup:

3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
for people who like to see the LO412 logs. I might get LO4XX logs soon as friend's S3 is still in the tuning process, LO4XX is a truly beast :thumbup:

View attachment 56657

View attachment 56658

View attachment 56659

Looks good. About 400hp based on MAF. Again I’m not knocking hybrids. I just don’t like them for repeatability. I’d rather have a turbo that’s designed to for a specific output from the start. There’s a lot of factors that go into what turbo you want. If a hybrid ticks all your boxes, have at it.

jettaglx91

Go Kart Champion
Looks good. About 400hp based on MAF. Again I’m not knocking hybrids. I just don’t like them for repeatability. I’d rather have a turbo that’s designed to for a specific output from the start. There’s a lot of factors that go into what turbo you want. If a hybrid ticks all your boxes, have at it.

Im curious how much boost that was on :iono:

jettaglx91

Go Kart Champion
That and EGT would be helpful. 2550mb = ~ 37psi and it looks like the tune is ~75% of that for most of the rev range if I’m reading that correctly. I’m no expert though.

Im guessing you are right from previous about egt hence probably why they probably run it so rich. Thats only 22.5psi on the map sensor but guessing its well past that.

a3scott20

Ready to race!
that car with LO412 is running 29PSI peak and tapered to 23PSI.

I didn't log EGT since it's not that accurate after car has been tuned, more information about fueling: 6-7ms injector constant, 170bar rail pressure and WMI 700cc.

Last edited:

Charles@NGP

Ready to race!
Charles, did you find the LOBA 4xx pricing?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Unfortunately I have some bad news. Our current LOBA Motorsport supplier (034 Motorsport) will now only sell the turbochargers with their software. I'm going to check around with a few of my other suppliers to see if I can't get them from somewhere else, but I have also reached out to 034 to see what kind of kit they might be able to offer for the Gen 1 TSI as well. We have had very good success using the 034 Motorsport RS500 turbo kit which uses a LOBA Motorsports turbocharger. Several of the cars that we've installed the kit on used on track throughout the year, including this car which is almost exclusively driven on track:

3P0A0308
by Charles Strosnider, on Flickr

3P0A0322
by Charles Strosnider, on Flickr

I'll also check in with a few of my other suppliers to see if they don't have any stock of LOBA turbochargers in the US. As several have mentioned in this thread, it is a real PITA to contact LOBA directly.

Trust me, I completely understand where you're coming from, and I promise I'm not trying to single anyone out and shoot down their opinion here. I enjoy all of the conversations and tech talk about anything related to VAG vehicles and modification. This thread has some of the best reading content for aftermarket turbocharging for the Gen 1 TSI on the entire internet. I've personally learned a lot from this thread and I almost instinctively make my way here within the first 30 minutes of getting to work in the morning.

Looks good!

Madhav

Passed Driver's Ed
I still am very interested in the BBT K430 turbo since the price is under $2,000 USD. They seem to be pretty big in the U.K. and compared to TTE420 and LOBA turbos a lot.

I actually have a BBT430x currently being installed, mechanic said it should be ready in a few days. E20 base tune ready to go from stratified along with all the usual bolt ons like exhaust, intercooler, intake etc, and not forgetting a unitronic stage 2 DSG tune. Stock fuel system but it should go alright. No idea what power it will make but do intend to try a 1/4 mile run.

brobst

Go Kart Champion
Yeah days like these I just want to upgrade fueling and push more ethanol through the k04. Choosing turbos is hard.
I just started learning how to read compressor maps to get a since of a turbo, but it would be nice if every turbo came with a dyno sheet lol

FriggenT1

Banned
Yeah days like these I just want to upgrade fueling and push more ethanol through the k04. Choosing turbos is hard.
I just started learning how to read compressor maps to get a since of a turbo, but it would be nice if every turbo came with a dyno sheet lol

Can always send your k04 to TTE, I think it's 1,500 to make it a 420 spec, but could be a bit more.

FriggenT1

Banned
I actually have a BBT430x currently being installed, mechanic said it should be ready in a few days. E20 base tune ready to go from stratified along with all the usual bolt ons like exhaust, intercooler, intake etc, and not forgetting a unitronic stage 2 DSG tune. Stock fuel system but it should go alright. No idea what power it will make but do intend to try a 1/4 mile run.

The x makes a lot of power.... I have a friends dyno sheet

Last edited:

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Is there a difference between the BBT 430 and 430x? I've never heard of the 430x and isn't talked about on beach buggy's facebook page, nor on their website.

Also, I believe the above dyno sheet are base numbers and not wheel. If this is the same guy im thinking of with the Seat Leon Cupra that was mentioned in a magazine that BBT posted on their facebook page.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!

What made you go with the beach buggy turbo? have you heard good things about them? keep us in the loop with all of its progress!

I want to see what that turbo can do.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
The reason why the true big turbo kits are ~$5k is because they have a custom manifold designed to meet the flow demands of the turbo. As a matter of fact, having a high quality tubular manifold (or a better log design like PPT or APR) included with a big turbo with software for $5k is actually a pretty good deal.

Don't forget, a $2.5k turbo is just the turbo. By the time you have it installed and tuned you're going to be close to $5k anyway.

That being said, all of these different hybrid turbo options are a great way to close the gap between KO4 and needing rods since the KO4 does leave a lot of meat on the table.