GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stalling Again

VW Steve

Ready to race!
My Mk6 Golf stalled four times in the fall of 2017, and I took it to my VW dealership; they couldn't find a thing wrong with it, and it never stalled on them. Then the stalling stopped, but it came back; it's stalled thrice on me since late April 2018, the last time in my driveway after I got out to open the garage door to put my car away! What's up with this stalling? And why can't the dealership figure out what's wrong?

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
My Mk6 Golf stalled four times in the fall of 2017, and I took it to my VW dealership; they couldn't find a thing wrong with it, and it never stalled on them. Then the stalling stopped, but it came back; it's stalled thrice on me since late April 2018, the last time in my driveway after I got out to open the garage door to put my car away! What's up with this stalling? And why can't the dealership figure out what's wrong?
There isn't enough info here to help you, you need to describe in detail the conditions of each of your stall events. When you ask for help on a public forum be prepared to describe in extreme detail... .

If this was BMW or Porsche I would go straight to the replacing the Fuel Pump Relay or ignition switch, as those parts have a history of Failure without generating an OBD2 error code. The Fuel Pump Relay (aka DME Relay) as well as the ignition switch contacts get carbon build up on the contacts.

I have NOT heard/seen anything to suggest that this is a fault on the Golf 2.5 but if was happening to me, those are what I'd address first and they are relatively inexpensive parts as well, and can be replaced by DIYer.

Good Luck

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Basically if it doesn't throw a code and/or they can't recreate the issue they're not gonna know. No mechanic would really unless it's, as stated above, a known issue. I am assuming it's an automatic. There are a lot of things that could cause this problem. Without a code that will be a tough one but it sounds like MLue1 has some ideas at least.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Did the dealer do a software update? I would make sure you are on the latest version. If it were me that would be my first step. I think you can even find out the version with a code reader at the local auto parts store) or definitely with vagcom and call the dealer to confirm.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Apparently this was a pretty common issue with the early MK6 Jetta 2.5L and there were a bunch of causes. Camshaft positioning sensor, fuel pump, electrical, software all potential causes

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I checked with my Dealer contact, they have replaced at least three Fuel Pump Relays at the Dealership on the 2.5 over the winter, they couldn't narrow if they were Golfs or Jettas tho.

If you get the Dealer to do the Troubleshooting of this intermitent problem the Fuel Pump Relay will be one of the first thing they address, so why not do it yourself and replace the Fuel Pump Relay under the dash.

Don't buy it online, use your VIN to get it from the Dealer, that way you'll get the right one and keep the receipt so you don't get double charged if you get the the Dealer to troubleshoot.

Just be happy you don't have the Diesel version, that model has three Fuel Pump Relays.

Other things that can cause the shutdown without an OBD Code:
-Poorly Maintained car with old plugs and coils
-Bad PCV valve
-leaking Oil Dip Stick O-Ring seals (I think this is part of the PCV system)
-Dirty or Faulty Throttle Body

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
If you need the part number call the dealer and ask for a price. Give them the VIN and they will give you the part number as well. Sometimes I get parts from them if it's convenient but you will pay a premium for it.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Found this Youtube Video, Stalling and long crank, maybe of help? :iono: We have not heard back from the OP.

https://youtu.be/4tAjyssB0us

VW Steve

Ready to race!
I had the crankshaft position sensor fixed in June. It stalled again. I had the purge valve replaced in July. It stalled again. A mechanic at my delaership told me that I was "chasing a ghost" because no one could replicate the problem.

"Chasing a ghost."

I was told to use premium gas with a fuel additive. I did. It's still stalling. I still haven o idea what's going on. :mad: Whenever my dealership has the car, they are never able to replicate the problem. I had everything covered under warranty fixed. Now there could be numerous big-buck repairs ahead of me and still no solution. :(

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Steve, so we don't go wasting time suggesting things that have been done/tried already; can you list all the things that have been tried. We know you're not terrbly technical but if you have the Receipts that may help.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
I had the crankshaft position sensor fixed in June. It stalled again. I had the purge valve replaced in July. It stalled again. A mechanic at my delaership told me that I was "chasing a ghost" because no one could replicate the problem.

"Chasing a ghost."

I was told to use premium gas with a fuel additive. I did. It's still stalling. I still haven o idea what's going on. :mad: Whenever my dealership has the car, they are never able to replicate the problem. I had everything covered under warranty fixed. Now there could be numerous big-buck repairs ahead of me and still no solution. :(

Haha. Chasing a ghost. Well the mechanic at my dealership told me my transmission doesn't have transmission fluid in it. Only clutch fluid. I won't go into the several things wrong with that statement but it goes to show the dealership is not always the best place to go. I would find a good private shop that will take the time to actually listen to you. To me a comment like "chasing a ghost" is akin to saying the issue doesn't exist.

Do not let the dealership start throwing parts at it because that is what they will do. You will likely never get a dealer to do the type of diagnostic like in MLue's video above. They'll just guess and throw your money at it. It's a great business model.

And being told to use premium gas to solve your issue is like calling tech support and them telling you to reboot your computer to solve the issue. It's a BS answer which translates to I have no idea and I am either stalling for time while I Google it or search past support cases or I just don't care.

Last edited:

FlowMK6

Ready to race!
For those kind of issues, I would recommend using a OBD2 recorder such as the OTC InfoLogger or any other brand that sell that kind of products. It's very useful for customers which doesn't have scanner and have intermittent issues like yours. Those devices record about 24hours of drive and it logs all OBD2 data and the time is synchronized with your car's clock. When the engine stall, note the date and the hour and your good mechanic should be able to find an hint by analyzing the information in those frame, there should be abnormal values.

mraaf

Passed Driver's Ed
Pretty sure this is related to the low press fuel system (in-tank fuel pump, fuel pump module J538 or fuel filter). J538 issue may throw a code but the rest don't.