GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2 year old R8 coilpack failed

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Went to start my car this morning and noticed a strange rough idle. Noticed it smelled like fuel a bit and then I noticed massive plumes of white smoke billowing out the exhaust that smelled strongly of fuel then a CEL and EPC light. I shut off the car and plugged in OBDEleven and pulled a P0301 only. I suspected a stuck injector at first but decided to try just swapping the coilpack with one of my old OEMs. Restarted the car and noticed idle smoothed out, and the white smoke started to slowly dissipate. Drove it a bit later and car drove fine. Really surprised it was the coil pack and now my OCD is being bothered by this single grey pack. Or another scenario is when I turned off the car the first and and restarted, it "unstuck" the injector which may cause start causing issues again. We'll see.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 116

Sirbikesalot

Passed Driver's Ed
Wow, thanks for the post. I have had mine in for about two years and no failures yet. APR stage 2. Glad you had an easy fix!

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
Which revision is the coil pack? I think both E & F have released in the 2 years.

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
that's surprising never heard of a r8 coil failing before. I had my first set in for about 4 or 5 yrs with 60k+ miles on them before switching to the revised ones.

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Also you could of just swapped the r8 coil with another one you have installed to see if the missfire switched cylinders.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
that's surprising never heard of a r8 coil failing before. I had my first set in for about 4 or 5 yrs with 60k+ miles on them before switching to the revised ones.

Why switched to the revised ones if no issues or did you have issues after 4-5 years?

Mine are currently around 5 years old I believe so I'm just curious. No issues that I'm aware of. Put them on prior to going APR stg1 and had them through Stg2 and K04. No issues that I can tell. :cool:

CHerna

Ready to race!
All parts have potential failure modes. I have to imagine a coil pack's RPN is not on the lower side.

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Why switched to the revised ones if no issues or did you have issues after 4-5 years?

Mine are currently around 5 years old I believe so I'm just curious. No issues that I'm aware of. Put them on prior to going APR stg1 and had them through Stg2 and K04. No issues that I can tell. :cool:

why not? they obvisously made a revised version for a reason so doesn't hurt to switch over. I mean yea if it's not broke why fix it but it was more for a peace of mind. Plus I just gave my old r8 coils to my buddy with a beetle figured I'd help him out.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Guys, its worse than expected...a few days after getting the P0301 and changing the pack I noticed a rough start up again and surging idle. I got P2279 code. I pulled the intake and checked for any leaks and noticed extra oil around the lower timing cover and rear pcv breather. I decided to change the PCV with a new spare I had laying around figured it was on its way out. Drove it for a bit and then noticed oil dripping under the car. Jacked it up and saw oil coming out between the trans and engine. RMS is toast. I'm assuming the PCV went out quietly over the past few days. I didn't really notice any drive ability issues. Shame since this PCV only had like 30k on it.

Not sure what to do now. I've done my own timing chain in the garage but its gonna be really tricky to attempt DSG trans removal in my small garage on jack stands or just bite the bullet and pay the $1500 I dont have. 120k miles on the car she had been good to me for a while too.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Ive had the PCV fail before but it was a torn diaphragm and you could feel it sucking air in through the pin hole plus massive amount of misfires on all cylinders. This one was much more subtle, wish I caught it earlier but that p2279 code popped up and it was just done at that point. The earlier single p0301 in one cyl really threw me off.