GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW Cheated on Emissions Testing?

zipsled

Ready to race!
I'd hate to be a salesperson at a VW dealership right now...

gtboost

Drag Racing Champion
If VW is fined over 900 million that GM was fined for KILLING people it will just fuel my hatred for the government and GM.

How is it that GM which killed over a hundred people by their neglect and cover-up fined $900 million.

Toyota floor mat issue (which Toyota was found to NOT be at fault) was fined 1.2billion.

VW did an emissions workaround which resulted in 10to40 times the allowable NOx. (don't get me started on EPA and CARB diesel emissions requirements) VW's workaround was shady but they didn't kill anyone. Sure the tree huggers will say "what about the children and the trees". It still does not make sense that the EPA and CARB can fine that much while GM is allowed to get away with murder and be fined 900 million.

My CEO was a lead engineer for many car manufacturers and race teams. (Saleen S7, Fisker Karma, supercharger design, etc) He said using tricks and workarounds are kind of a dark secret in the automotive world. Just don't get caught!

GM/Cadillac got in trouble for having an emissions map that was activated when the hood was opened. When the hood was closed the cars failed emissions. Billions in fines? nope

Ferrari got in a lot of heat with the F40 and BYPASSING the cats. The decision was to not fine because of the low volumes.

I will still buy VW and support them. Unfortunately foreign car haters will have a field day with this story.

Jaber

Modero
I looked at the VWs in my garage and told them everything will be ok. Daddy is here.

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
Although I'm not in the US - so I don't have emissions laws dragging me down, I still think this is just another way for the US government to absolutely dig through the wallets of a global brand to try and save their own economy that's due to collapse any day now.

Many people, much more informed and educated than myself have said that the effects of vehicles on the global climate is nowhere near as damaging as what it's being made out to be. Behind it all is someone making a lot of money from phoney laws and regulations which mean nothing to you and me at the end of the day. If you're concerned about global warming, I suggest reading the study which proved livestock to be producing more greenhouse gasses than anything else on earth. If you feel like saving our planet, rather eat more burgers than ditch your TDIs.

To all of you I say: "Remove your catalytic converters and rejoice in the freedom of Stage 2 wheelspin!"

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
If VW is fined over 900 million that GM was fined for KILLING people it will just fuel my hatred for the government and GM.

How is it that GM which killed over a hundred people by their neglect and cover-up fined $900 million.

Toyota floor mat issue (which Toyota was found to NOT be at fault) was fined 1.2billion.

VW did an emissions workaround which resulted in 10to40 times the allowable NOx. (don't get me started on EPA and CARB diesel emissions requirements) VW's workaround was shady but they didn't kill anyone. Sure the tree huggers will say "what about the children and the trees". It still does not make sense that the EPA and CARB can fine that much while GM is allowed to get away with murder and be fined 900 million.

My CEO was a lead engineer for many car manufacturers and race teams. (Saleen S7, Fisker Karma, supercharger design, etc) He said using tricks and workarounds are kind of a dark secret in the automotive world. Just don't get caught!

GM/Cadillac got in trouble for having an emissions map that was activated when the hood was opened. When the hood was closed the cars failed emissions. Billions in fines? nope

Ferrari got in a lot of heat with the F40 and BYPASSING the cats. The decision was to not fine because of the low volumes.

I will still buy VW and support them. Unfortunately foreign car haters will have a field day with this story.

Yes.
Putting myself in the hypothetical position of driving a GM product with a faulty ignition, a Honda with a potentially shrapnel spreading airbag, or a VW that emits more NOx during normal driving than on the EPA cycle, ask me which one would concern me the least.
I'd certainly be nervous driving the first two, but might never bother bringing the VW in for a recall.

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion

ThatVWGuy

Ready to race!
Although I'm not in the US - so I don't have emissions laws dragging me down, I still think this is just another way for the US government to absolutely dig through the wallets of a global brand to try and save their own economy that's due to collapse any day now.

Well, hopefully the US economy isn't on the verge of collapse, but I do think the government sees this as yet another supplement for some poorly defined federal program of one kind or another.

gtboost

Drag Racing Champion
Well, hopefully the US economy isn't on the verge of collapse, but I do think the government sees this as yet another supplement for some poorly defined federal program of one kind or another.

Also very clear evidence the EPA/CARB and NHTSA have WAY too much power.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Also very clear evidence the EPA/CARB and NHTSA have WAY too much power.
This couldn't be further from the truth. Please read my long-form post. These guys need to update their old specs so that companies like VW know what to do/not to do. The whole reason this came about is insufficient/depreciated regulation.

The only reason this is a problem is that Congress is too afraid to fund an update to these regs for fear of upsetting people like you who are loud yet don't understand the root cause.

zrickety

The Fixer
Congress can't accomplish anything except waste our money and take legal bribes.

KYGTIGuy

Go Kart Champion

gtboost

Drag Racing Champion
This couldn't be further from the truth. Please read my long-form post. These guys need to update their old specs so that companies like VW know what to do/not to do. The whole reason this came about is insufficient/depreciated regulation.

The only reason this is a problem is that Congress is too afraid to fund an update to these regs for fear of upsetting people like you who are loud yet don't understand the root cause.

the EPA has nothing but a radical environmentalist agenda.

I never said congress wasn't to blame. Congress gave the power to the EPA. Now they are running around throwing around threats of 18 billion dollar fines again for a NON SAFETY issue. They need to reign back those agencies and their rubber stamping of laws and interpretations of the laws.