GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Sway Bar Discussion Thread

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
But the noise seems to have come from the end link nut coming slightly loose. I tightened it and the noise went away. However, after a while it came back. I assume it loosened again (despite me torquing to spec). The bars were set to full stiffest. I will set them to soft and see if the nut loosens again.

I find that endlinks need to be retorqued after a couple hundred miles any time you have them apart. If they loosen again after that, maybe add a lock washer.

For the record, it seems that the only time that I was able to get the back end to swing around is when I turned off the traction control and *really* turned left (or right) really hard. I felt the outer rear tire come off the ground and come back down. I have all stock suspension except for the Neuspeed 28mm hollow rear sway bar.

Turns out the internet likes to exaggerate the effects of some things.

95tequesta

Passed Driver's Ed
Torque Specs: Sway Bar to Subframe

I have searched throughout this forum and on Internet and I am getting differing numbers for the torque specs for the sway bar bracket bolts to sub frame.

Does anyone know the torque specs for these bolts?

M8x75

Lazer 100

Ready to race!
THANKS for the tip! I checked them out. They were tight and didn't appear to have any movement.

But the noise seems to have come from the end link nut coming slightly loose. I tightened it and the noise went away. However, after a while it came back. I assume it loosened again (despite me torquing to spec). The bars were set to full stiffest. I will set them to soft and see if the nut loosens again.

For the record, it seems that the only time that I was able to get the back end to swing around is when I turned off the traction control and *really* turned left (or right) really hard. I felt the outer rear tire come off the ground and come back down. I have all stock suspension except for the Neuspeed 28mm hollow rear sway bar.

Ditto that. One of my endlink bolts was coming loose. Once I tightened it the clunk went away, but then something started squeaking like crazy. I sprayed a bunch of lithium grease on the endlinks and greased the sway bar bushings (which is super easy with the 034 bar, I highly recommend it) but nada. I’ll be going after the crossmember bolts and trailing arm bracket with an impact wrench this weekend. We’ll see if that helps.

I’m on the original 8 year old suspension other than motor/trans mounts and sway bar, and that thing rotates like a mofo with the traction control off. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
Probably gonna have to take the bar off and grease the bushings. When I do mine, I grease the inside as well as all the outer surfaces that contact the bracket and chassis.

You'll want to use silicone grease designed for urethane bushings, it stays in place better and lasts longer than lithium.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I agree on using the proper grease. If you remove the bar use some Loctite 242 blue on the bolts. Once torqued back down they should stay that way.

Do NOT use the red Loctite 277 if you ever want to remove the bolt again. It can be removed, but it's such a royal pain in the arse.

Lazer 100

Ready to race!
I agree on using the proper grease. If you remove the bar use some Loctite 242 blue on the bolts. Once torqued back down they should stay that way.

Do NOT use the red Loctite 277 if you ever want to remove the bolt again. It can be removed, but it's such a royal pain in the arse.

Never thought to use silicone grease, that makes a lot of sense. The 034 bushing brackets have zerk fittings but I’m not sure if it greases both the inner and outer part of the bushing. I’ll have to take it off and investigate.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I believe the ones with zerk fittings send grease to the inner part of the bushing. At least the ones on a Hotchkis I had on my MINI did.

Lazer 100

Ready to race!
Sway bar bushing broke again, on the same side and everything. I don’t know what is going on. It’s torqued to spec, lubricated, seems to be seated properly. This is the second passenger side bushing to disintegrate in 3 months. Any suggestions?

theclutch

Go Kart Newbie
Sway bar bushing broke again, on the same side and everything. I don’t know what is going on. It’s torqued to spec, lubricated, seems to be seated properly. This is the second passenger side bushing to disintegrate in 3 months. Any suggestions?

Remind us.. what's your current suspension setup? And what are you doing (or not doing) that could be causing this? I.e. - track work or autocross?

Lazer 100

Ready to race!
Remind us.. what's your current suspension setup? And what are you doing (or not doing) that could be causing this? I.e. - track work or autocross?

Stock (original actually) shocks and springs. The bar with the wonky bushing is an 034 with poly bushings, and 034 spherical endlinks. I do autocross 2 or 3 times per month. I’ve been checking it every time I get home from an event and everything looks fine. This one broke yesterday when I was driving to pick up lunch. Last week I had to take the mount off and put the bushing back in because it had come out, but not broken. Also, the bottom bolt on my passenger side endlink is constantly coming loose. I’ve tried Loctite with an impact wrench and it still came loose. Next I think I’m going to look at locking washer options.

FF_animal

Ready to race!
Stock (original actually) shocks and springs. The bar with the wonky bushing is an 034 with poly bushings, and 034 spherical endlinks. I do autocross 2 or 3 times per month. I’ve been checking it every time I get home from an event and everything looks fine. This one broke yesterday when I was driving to pick up lunch. Last week I had to take the mount off and put the bushing back in because it had come out, but not broken. Also, the bottom bolt on my passenger side endlink is constantly coming loose. I’ve tried Loctite with an impact wrench and it still came loose. Next I think I’m going to look at locking washer options.

Fwiw I have whiteline bushings which are lined with some type of felt requiring no grease and they have held up great. No noises at all and I drive the shit outta my car. Maybe look into switching up the bushings? As for your endlink that's strange even an impact and loctite wont hold it down. Mine have come loose after Install but a quick retorque took care of that 20k ago.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Lazer 100

Ready to race!
Thanks a million. I’ll check into the Whiteline bushings. Did you have to get different bushing mounts or were you able to use your previous mounts?

FF_animal

Ready to race!
Thanks a million. I’ll check into the Whiteline bushings. Did you have to get different bushing mounts or were you able to use your previous mounts?

They came with my sway bar along with new mounts but I dont see why you wouldn't be able to use the original mount. Good luck [emoji106][emoji482]

Lazer 100

Ready to race!
They came with my sway bar along with new mounts but I dont see why you wouldn't be able to use the original mount. Good luck [emoji106][emoji482]

Actually, was just looking at their sway bars, and it looks like they come with a coupling that tightens to the bar right next to the inside of the mount that would keep the bushing in place. I’m going to try to find (or make, see my earlier photo) one of those to see if it holds.