GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
So last night when i went to leave the local hookah lounge i started my car and the it gave me a ESP/ABS error on start up. I turned the car off and restarted it and the errors didnt come back on. Well this morning i go to leave for work and boom same errors upon start up followed by Error:Airbag. I only work 2 blocks away so i drive to work without restarting the car (i tried to read codes via the Cobb AP but no codes were there). Anyways i get about a block away and the car clears all the codes and i dont have them for the other block drive.

Any idea? I have Vagcom i can scan when i get home but just seemed weird.

ABS sensor is dying. I'm going through this right now. For about a week it was happening almost once a day, and then since then it's happened only a few times.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
ABS sensor is dying. I'm going through this right now. For about a week it was happening almost once a day, and then since then it's happened only a few times.
did you have any trouble codes? Ill scan with ross-tech when i get home. Did you replace your ABS sensor? If so how much was it/did you do it yourself or at a shop?

Edit. I looked it up it seems easy enough to change.. assuming thats the issue, and FEBI brand are like $30 bucks... now sure who the OEM supplier is but im not gonna pay $120 a piece for Genuine VW when all the other brands are $30.

Also looks like giving them a good cleaning might help... seems they collect quite a bit of grime and gunk.

Last edited:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
did you have any trouble codes? Ill scan with ross-tech when i get home. Did you replace your ABS sensor? If so how much was it/did you do it yourself or at a shop?

I didn't check and I didn't replace it lol

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
glue didnt work. going to try heat gun, bending it, and re-seating. i think part of the problem is i have it riding a bit low. going to pre-mark it with painters tape this time to be sure. will consider actually using the retaining strips if i can figure out how it mates with the things on the skirts themselves.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I didn't check and I didn't replace it lol

I just vagcom it last night. Almost all the codes per Ross-Tech wiki are piggybacks from other codes. So the airbag is piggybacking off the ABS and the ESP is piggy backing off the ABS sensor code as well. I bought some electronic cleaner and am gonna attempt to clean my Right Rear ABS sensor. If that doesn't work then ill go about replacing it.

Ill let you know how the cleaning went. I had to buy Hex keys too because i seem to have lost everything. So i spent about $16 at harbor freight on a hex key set and some electronic cleaner spray.

glue didnt work. going to try heat gun, bending it, and re-seating. i think part of the problem is i have it riding a bit low. going to pre-mark it with painters tape this time to be sure. will consider actually using the retaining strips if i can figure out how it mates with the things on the skirts themselves.
damn that sucks hopefully you figure it out

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Okay to update everyone i bough electronic cleaner and sprayed/wiped down the probe and then the connections. I then used the cleaner and some q-tips to clean the hole the probe goes into..
I havent gotten the errors on 6 drives now. SO it seems to have worked for clearing the ABS speed sensor error i was gettign which was making all the other codes pop up too.

LarryButamore

Noise pipe?

I have a 2010 and one day while driving I head a pop, and then what sounded like a rock or something hitting the underside of my car. I lost all boost and got real worried. I checked under the hood and there was an open pipe just before the throttle body. I’ve never owned a gti before but upon doing some research I found that this might have been from a Noise pipe delete and the noise I heard was probably the cap popping off. But I also found that mk6 gti’s don’t have noise pipes... Did the 2010 still come with a noise pipe or was my throttle body pipe replaced with one from an older generation?

If 2010’s did come with a noise pipe, are there any other parts that are more similar to a mk5?

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Noise pipe?

I have a 2010 and one day while driving I head a pop, and then what sounded like a rock or something hitting the underside of my car. I lost all boost and got real worried. I checked under the hood and there was an open pipe just before the throttle body. I’ve never owned a gti before but upon doing some research I found that this might have been from a Noise pipe delete and the noise I heard was probably the cap popping off. But I also found that mk6 gti’s don’t have noise pipes... Did the 2010 still come with a noise pipe or was my throttle body pipe replaced with one from an older generation?

If 2010’s did come with a noise pipe, are there any other parts that are more similar to a mk5?
2010s came with a noise pipe, after that they came with the soundaktor. Engine wise mk5 and 6 are pretty different, not too many interchangeable parts. Suspension wise they are almost identical.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Noise pipe?

can you post a picture of this so we can confirm?

ce4

Ready to race!
Got $200 to spend on my car..what to do?

Already have air filter, DV+, 034 dogbone insert, led fogs, Cobb AP with ST tune.

What can I get for practical performance for $200 (it's burning a hole in the pocket)? Keep in mind, car is my DD and bout to head to Arkansas next weekend.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Got $200 to spend on my car..what to do?

Already have air filter, DV+, 034 dogbone insert, led fogs, Cobb AP with ST tune.

What can I get for practical performance for $200 (it's burning a hole in the pocket)? Keep in mind, car is my DD and bout to head to Arkansas next weekend.

I have a brand new h&r 26mm front sway bar for sale. Could do like 180 shipped, they go for 300 usually.

ce4

Ready to race!
I have a brand new h&r 26mm front sway bar for sale. Could do like 180 shipped, they go for 300 usually.

Been thinking bout sway bars lately. Torn on rear or front tho. And after seeing the installation for the front...yikes. Probably not as bad as it looks. What would be the pro v con on front vs rear sb though?

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
Rear sway bar from 034 MS :) although might be a little more than 200

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk