GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

K04 transfer

geramy1232

Ready to race!
So I bought a totaled GTI with a K04 turbo. I have my own stock GTI and I want to do the transfer. What is every little thing I would need, to do the transfer from the totaled GTI to my GTI? The totaled GTI has a BorgWarner k04 turbo.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
lol, did you buy the totaled GTI JUST for the K04? lol

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
lol, did you buy the totaled GTI JUST for the K04? lol

Man, these cars are so cheap when they’re in good running condition I’m guessing that the price of the car he bought was less than the price of a K04 kit. Considering that the car is probably also packed with a lot of other useful parts it was probably a good way to go if you have a place to put the car while disassembling it.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
in for how much he paid for the car.

iwannagofast

Not a Newbie
I just removed my K04 and sold it on Saturday for my GTI with a blown engine. It was the first time I've ever done anything like this. The write-up above is pretty good, but I went a bit of a different route. I found it to be easier to remove the K04 from the bottom since I didn't have an extra set of hands. In order to do that, you need to remove the axle, which is really easy, you just need the proper tools and triple square bits. Break loose the axle bolts while the car is on the ground too to keep the axle from spinning, make sure you have a big breaker bar. If the car is already jacked up, just shove a screw driver in the rotor to keep the wheel from spinning.

The coolant lines are a p.i.t.a. They never stop leaking the entire time and trying to fit your hands in to remove them stinks. You need large triple square bits for those. Just take you're time and remove them properly.

The manifold bolts are 12mm. The top ones are easy once you remove the heat shield, the bottom one's are much tougher and there's no way you're getting a ratchet on several of them. My 12mm crescent wrench was like 5" long and the space it had to go in was very tiny. It helped to duct tape a longer wrench onto the 12mm wrench to make it about a foot long, that way you could get leverage on those last 2 bottom manifold bolts on the right side of the engine. Having the extra working space with the axle removed was also awesome, I highly recommend it.

All together it took me about 6 hours to get the K04 off, which included two trips to Advance Auto to buy the 24mm triple square axle hub socket and multiple sized triple square bits. I think I could do it in half the time now that I know what I'm doing.

Good luck.

Edit: I sold the used K04 for $425 on Saturday. (link to my Golfmk6 thread parting out my mods: LINK) I also included the 3Bar MAP sensor for free. If it's an APR Borg Warner K04-064, you will need that MAP sensor on the turbo inlet pipe.

Last edited:

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
So I bought a totaled GTI with a K04 turbo. I have my own stock GTI and I want to do the transfer. What is every little thing I would need, to do the transfer from the totaled GTI to my GTI? The totaled GTI has a BorgWarner k04 turbo.

If you're going from GTI to GTI.. .assuming everything is intact and not damaged from the writeoff...the totalled GTI should have all that you need parts wise. New bolts, gaskets for sure though.

geramy1232

Ready to race!
in for how much he paid for the car.

Paid $2,000 for a perfectly running k04 gti with just a fixable, driver side quarter panel crash don’t want to fix the crash and sell this car with a k04 when I can use it on my own unless it’s too much work and money to do the swap[emoji24]

geramy1232

Ready to race!
I just removed my K04 and sold it on Saturday for my GTI with a blown engine. It was the first time I've ever done anything like this. The write-up above is pretty good, but I went a bit of a different route. I found it to be easier to remove the K04 from the bottom since I didn't have an extra set of hands. In order to do that, you need to remove the axle, which is really easy, you just need the proper tools and triple square bits. Break loose the axle bolts while the car is on the ground too to keep the axle from spinning, make sure you have a big breaker bar. If the car is already jacked up, just shove a screw driver in the rotor to keep the wheel from spinning.

The coolant lines are a p.i.t.a. They never stop leaking the entire time and trying to fit your hands in to remove them stinks. You need large triple square bits for those. Just take you're time and remove them properly.

The manifold bolts are 12mm. The top ones are easy once you remove the heat shield, the bottom one's are much tougher and there's no way you're getting a ratchet on several of them. My 12mm crescent wrench was like 5" long and the space it had to go in was very tiny. It helped to duct tape a longer wrench onto the 12mm wrench to make it about a foot long, that way you could get leverage on those last 2 bottom manifold bolts on the right side of the engine. Having the extra working space with the axle removed was also awesome, I highly recommend it.

All together it took me about 6 hours to get the K04 off, which included two trips to Advance Auto to buy the 24mm triple square axle hub socket and multiple sized triple square bits. I think I could do it in half the time now that I know what I'm doing.

Good luck.

Edit: I sold the used K04 for $425 on Saturday. (link to my Golfmk6 thread parting out my mods: LINK) I also included the 3Bar MAP sensor for free. If it's an APR Borg Warner K04-064, you will need that MAP sensor on the turbo inlet pipe.

Yeah it’s an apr kit in the totaled car. Everything should be in the car because it’s running. Only Thing is that I don’t really see the power gain. I don’t know if its because its on a stock tune or what, but my stage 2 GTI feels much more agile.

geramy1232

Ready to race!
If you're going from GTI to GTI.. .assuming everything is intact and not damaged from the writeoff...the totalled GTI should have all that you need parts wise. New bolts, gaskets for sure though.

Yeah that’s what I thought but I would need a part list of all the gaskets and bolts I would need before I start pulling it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Yeah that’s what I thought but I would need a part list of all the gaskets and bolts I would need before I start pulling it out.

Complete part list with all p/n's is in lilfleck's k04 install guide linked above.

If you're gonna drop the axle you also need a new axle bolt (p/n WHT002795) and a 12-point 24mm socket.

Last edited:

geramy1232

Ready to race!
Complete part list with all p/n's is in lilfleck's k04 install guide linked above.

If you're gonna drop the axle you also need a new axle bolt (p/n WHT002795) and a 12-point 24mm socket.

Yeah I’ll try to follow the write up as best as possible. I also found a bunch of hose and things that my car doesn’t have and something on top of the engine right on the middle of the pcv and oil cap. I’m guessing these are all related to the k04 install but i’m not quite sure what they are and what it is. Sorry if I might sound a little dumb This all just new to me. Take a look at the pictures. Here’s a link to those who can’t see the images through here( https://m.imgur.com/a/GwMsKQI )

geramy1232

Ready to race!
That looks like sai filter in one pic

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yeah looked it up, and it looks like it is a sai filter probably would want to cover it or put a small filter on it. i just don’t know what that other thing is on the top of the engine. Near the pcv