GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dealer forgot/never tightened transmission bolts... potential damage?

Uberryan

Banned
Well how about another post from me about another issue...

Went to go clean my intake filter, and check my O2 sensor and found these transmission bolts lying just like so. My long block was replaced under warranty back in May/June due to a bad bearing making some funky sound on acceleration, and these bolts hold the tranny to the long block, clearly.

Since I've driven the car like a mad man since then, is there any possibility of damage resulting from what I assume is just these two bolts not installed?

I called the dealer who did the job, explained to them what I found and they sounded pretty horrified. I asked if they wanted me to try and install the bolts and take it by tomorrow, and they gave me the ok. Lucky I did my brakes last year because the bolts have a weird hex pattern that fit none of the 5000 sockets I had, so I resorted to using the M14 triple square needed for the rear rotor replacement, and it fit like a charm. Notched them down as much as I could without trying to over-torque them. Seem to be pretty tight. Car goes to the dealer first thing in the morning.

Uberryan

Banned
Well, aside from the typical clunking of downshifts, and maybe some hard shifts at stop sign to start, that's the only real issues I've noted, and I chalked that up to old fluid, tune, and nature of the beast.

How many of these bolts are there anyway?

Uberryan

Banned
If I had to guess, it would be the two mounting holes circled here that had the bolts missing for who knows how long. To be honest, assuming no other bolts are loose or missing... it probably was fine. I don't think just these two bolts would've affected much besides maybe structural flex, and mounts.

FriggenT1

Banned
Hmmm, well I can't be much help then, but I'd say if it feels ok, it probably is. I think it was an utterly stupid move on the dealers part though.

zrickety

The Fixer
There are the other bolts and a couple dowel pins I think? You probably dodged a bullet, but that tech needs a good talk with the boss.

Hoosier Daddy1

Ready to race!
Make the dealership aware of the situation as if something happens later they must assure you they will cover the cost due to pathetic technicians and poor work ethic

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
WOW!! since i also live in South Florida please do tell me what dealer that was so i can stay away from them thanks!

Also what did they replace or fix?

Last edited:

Trytun

Go Kart Champion
I wouldn't have even put them back in. Now that you did, they can deny it and deny anything further should you encounter issues down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk