GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Revo Stage 2 Constant Limp Mode?

wroth99

Hey guys, Ive been lurking on here for a while, but just recently bought my MK6 GTI (on 07/20/17). Previously I've owned a 2002 C32 AMG and a NA Miata, so this car is a pretty massive upgrade for me maintenance and technology wise. I've never owned or driven a turbo charged car before, and I've always been pretty confused about the way everything works still.

Either way, I made a bold decision and purchased a previously modified GTI, I got a good enough price on it that I was able to look over most of it since I would have probably gone the same route eventually.

Here is the list of current mods I was made aware of:

Stage 2 Revo Tune
3" turboback exhaust
Stage 2 Southbend Clutch
Short Throw Shifter
Forge Boost Pipes
Solid Motor Mounts
AFE Cold Air Intake
FK Coilovers
New South Boost Gauge

MY ISSUE:

On the way home I found out that the car would throw a ECP light and slowly seem like it was dying until I turned the car off and on again any time I tried to accelerate from a stop relatively quickly. I understand the concept of bogging your engine and how that is bad, but I have soccer moms in vans accelerating faster then me at stop lights. I've really been struggling to understand the proper way to accelerate and get into boost from a complete stop without bogging the engine and causing me to pull over. This whole issue makes using the AC completely unusable in non-highway use due to the extra load on the engine making it even more difficult to deal with.

The other concern I have stems from a CEL that came on and off on the way home. I texted the previous owner about it and he claimed it was "idle air control higher than expected" and that it never caused any issues. After doing some more research on it, I cant tell if I'm just being overly paranoid about the cars condition or if it is justified fear. I read somewhere that someone else with a Revo Tune had a very similar issue and it was due to a boost leak.

I couldn't tell any issues on my 4 hour drive home, the car pulled hard on the highway and seemed to be making a shit load of boost, but when it came time to drive around town the car feels insanely sluggish and dead until it hits boost (which is somewhat understandable). But I feel like I have to be extremely conscious of the boost gauge to make sure its not climbing so that I don't bog down the engine.

This post feels pretty hobbled together, and it's mostly because I'm anxious about the current state of my car. My dad has a Vagcom for his V10 Touareg and I wanted to try and see if there is anything I can figure out with that. I feel pretty dumb, but I'm intimidated by how complex and temperamental everything in this car is even compared to my AMG Benz.

Thanks in advance for any advice or comments.

Uberryan

Banned
Had this happen on my MKV, and the solution for me was to disconnect and then reconnect the battery. Could also be the Revo tune settings are fucked. If I recall, you could modify the tune via the port flasher handheld to change certain parameters. Maybe the original owner didn't change it back to a decent flash after switching it for whatever reason...? Did you get the handheld with the car?

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
I have a REVO tune and it did give me problems in the winter when temps went way down into the 30's. To this day I still don't know what is causing the issue but I want to say its the REVO tune. It would go into limp mode and the EPC light would come on but it would only happen when its extremely cold. Once the temps go into the 50's and higher the problem went away.

This could be the tune hitting the fuel cutoff point orrr snow tires not playing nice with my traction control... really not sure what the heck caused it.

With your issue...step 1 would be to check for any loose hoses in you engine bay. Check from where the cone filter is for your old air intake and follow that bad boy back to your turbo. Then I'd get under your car and check out the turbo outlet pipe (its on the other side of your turbo, opposite of where your intake piping ends). A lot of the turbo outlet pipes like to pop off and cause a nice boost leak. Boost leaks will throw the EPC light and cause you to go into limp mode.

If there are no loose hoses then I would start to wonder if its the tune. Could try to flash back to the stock map and see if the issue is still there

Laimface

Ready to race!
If lights are showing, get the car scanned by someone who knows what they're doing. Have yu done any maintenance? Might need new plugs, coilpacks, timing may have slipped a tooth so new chains etc....

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
If it acts up depending on the weather/temperature, it's something else besides the tune. I'm on Revo stage 2 as well and I don't have any issues like what you're experiencing.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
If it acts up depending on the weather/temperature, it's something else besides the tune. I'm on Revo stage 2 as well and I don't have any issues like what you're experiencing.

Weird. I haven't had the issue in months since the warm weather arrived. I'll have to really monitor it this fall/winter. Hope it doesn't come back!