GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ASTRID - SCCA TT National Tour & Time Attack Build

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
I feel like it was out of your control. The problem wasn’t caused by you and you took all the necessary precautions. That bend looked so subtle that I think most people wouldn’t have seen it either.

I went to the test n tune autox event yesterday. That being my first time autocrossing ever. It was an absolute blast! I saw another white mk6 gti there and thought it might have been you lol but I guess not. He was running much better times than me and he had to of had less mods; very quite with what looked like stock exhaust. He was doing 35 second passes. I started at 51 seconds lol... taking it easy to make sure I don’t go off course but I managed to get it down to 38 seconds flat on my last run.

I see why people autox now lol. I will be going to these events more often now. Oh and the first points event for today was cancelled so you might be good after all!

zef

Drag Racing Champion
My luck continues....

As excelerate was putting the final touches on they found this....

My Cobb tuning downpipe has a niiiiice big crack in it. And unfortunately they didn't find the crack until after they drilled the bung for the innovate wideband. They will do a quick fix that will buy me time until I can hopefully get a new one from Cobb. But honestly I might go 42DD or elsewhere...not too pleased with Cobb at this point.

I bought the exhaust in February of last year but wasn't installed until 3/31...if they decide to give me the finger because I am just out of the 1 year warranty I will be livid.

Last edited:

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Sorry about all of your bad luck and issues with parts. Looks like you will have quite a nice setup when you get things sorted out though.

I'm sure this is low on your priority list but I noticed you had a question about where to mount the LED fog light resistors. I bolted the resistors on some aluminum angle and used self tappers to screw the angle to the side of the fog bracket. Been running this way for quite some time without issue. Here are some pics:

zef

Drag Racing Champion
I feel like it was out of your control. The problem wasn’t caused by you and you took all the necessary precautions. That bend looked so subtle that I think most people wouldn’t have seen it either.

I went to the test n tune autox event yesterday. That being my first time autocrossing ever. It was an absolute blast! I saw another white mk6 gti there and thought it might have been you lol but I guess not. He was running much better times than me and he had to of had less mods; very quite with what looked like stock exhaust. He was doing 35 second passes. I started at 51 seconds lol... taking it easy to make sure I don’t go off course but I managed to get it down to 38 seconds flat on my last run.

I see why people autox now lol. I will be going to these events more often now. Oh and the first points event for today was cancelled so you might be good after all!

Wow good to know. And yeah usually people with the slowest cars end up setting the fastest times. A close to stock car will usually set faster times on the smaller tighter autocross courses since there's really nowhere for the car to put the power down. I'll probably be the slowest mk6 because of the KO4 (and because I haven't autocrossed since I was 16) but the LSD might make up for it so who knows. The Indy 500's might not quite cut it for autocross either, might have to address that sooner rather than later.

Sorry about all of your bad luck and issues with parts. Looks like you will have quite a nice setup when you get things sorted out though.

I'm sure this is low on your priority list but I noticed you had a question about where to mount the LED fog light resistors. I bolted the resistors on some aluminum angle and used self tappers to screw the angle to the side of the fog bracket. Been running this way for quite some time without issue. Here are some pics:

That's perfect dude, thank you! I have entertained selling my fog lights and getting the grille set from SRSTEC and building brake ducts out of them, but I will definitely keep this in mind if I don't!

clownish

just clowning around
I have the grill set from SRS tec and it will take some work to make them work as brake ducts. For my own purpose I need to modify them to make them work with fog lights instead of removing them. Been too lazy to do the sanding and molding - unnecessary exterior work is always last in the list of things compared to mechanical upgrades for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Wow good to know. And yeah usually people with the slowest cars end up setting the fastest times. A close to stock car will usually set faster times on the smaller tighter autocross courses since there's really nowhere for the car to put the power down. I'll probably be the slowest mk6 because of the KO4 (and because I haven't autocrossed since I was 16) but the LSD might make up for it so who knows. The Indy 500's might not quite cut it for autocross either, might have to address that sooner rather than later.

That's perfect dude, thank you! I have entertained selling my fog lights and getting the grille set from SRSTEC and building brake ducts out of them, but I will definitely keep this in mind if I don't!

In4brakeducts

zef

Drag Racing Champion
I have the grill set from SRS tec and it will take some work to make them work as brake ducts. For my own purpose I need to modify them to make them work with fog lights instead of removing them. Been too lazy to do the sanding and molding - unnecessary exterior work is always last in the list of things compared to mechanical upgrades for me.

Good input, I'll end up trying to do something similar to this:

zef

Drag Racing Champion
So I got a call from Excelerate today. Car is throwing codes. P1335 and P0068. As soon as the car starts to build boost it goes into limp mode. Will be bringing my laptop with me tomorrow to datalog with VAGCOM and send them over to Alex. He believes the 70mm throttle body isn't playing nice.

If I can't figure something out before tomorrow or Wednesday I'll either limp the car home or have it towed. Car sounds fking amazing though, it definitely is overall a LOT happier. Just fixing those exhaust leaks alone made a huge difference.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Oh that engine bay looks sexy. Love the intake manifold and the cold air intake.

I do hear that the throttle body does like to give you a hard time. I read something about needing to do some sort of throttle adjustment or something. I'm sure the guys at Stratified can figure that out. Could also be the intake manifold that needs to be tuned for the runner flaps.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Oh that engine bay looks sexy. Love the intake manifold and the cold air intake.

I do hear that the throttle body does like to give you a hard time. I read something about needing to do some sort of throttle adjustment or something. I'm sure the guys at Stratified can figure that out. Could also be the intake manifold that needs to be tuned for the runner flaps.

The car cold starts like a tractor now with the runner flaps gone. It's normal (or so I am told).

I am almost 99% sure the issues are being caused by the throttle body. I came across another guy with a similar setup that was having the same exact symptoms. Throttle body adaptation didn't fix anything.

Either it's defective or maybe Alex can update the tune... we'll see.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Another update... looks like COBB is gonna come through for me... Sucks I still lose ~$500 or so in fabrication work, but better than having to buy a new downpipe AND losing $500 in fabrication work.

Last edited:

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Another update... looks like COBB is gonna come through for me... Sucks I still lose ~$500 or so in fabrication work, but better than having to buy a new downpipe AND losing $500 in fabrication work.

Good on Cobb, glad that they made it right for you!

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Glad Cobb is sending you a replacement downpipe! Did xlr8 just repair the cracked downpipe?

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Glad Cobb is sending you a replacement downpipe! Did xlr8 just repair the cracked downpipe?

Yeah I'll probably keep it as a spare or just try selling it. It works fine now since they welded it.

Good on Cobb, glad that they made it right for you!

I'm glad too. They're going to send me a non-resonated version this time which is cool. Wondering if I'll finally get DSG farts this time.