GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car overheating on track days...(Use distilled water or WaterWetter?)

Speeddemon691

Go Kart Champion
So because you drove one and and been in one makes you an expert? ok. Got Ya. Got you beat on years and experience.

Enough Said.

Sorry OP for getting off point. Some people just are, well some people.

I will :readthethread: and not :threadjacked: it.

Sorry Folks.

Jeff

Never said I was an expert. You obviously own a gti and dont know that disconnecting the battery don't clear nothing for tcu. So I guess owning a car for 5 years don't make you an expert either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Never said I was an expert. You obviously own a gti and dont know that disconnecting the battery don't clear nothing for tcu. So I guess owning a car for 5 years don't make you an expert either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope Never touched the GTI for anything other than basic maintenance and basic stuff is why I am here, on the site to get some info and to learn. Never intended to mod this car, and on the fence about selling, as you already know since your doing a history of my posts.

No worries, do what you like :thumbsup:

Jeff

Last edited:
What are you doing currently to provide increased cooling? Which intercooler are you running? What water/coolant ratio are you running? Which radiator are you running? Do you have any aux DSG cooling system?

Sorry, just saw that you'd responded, didn't get any notification.

Since my last post, for increased cooling on track, I've begun running my heater, and I've just recently flushed my system as best I could for distilled water + a bottle of water wetter. The VW specialty shop (I had them do this particular task) estimated there's probably 5-10% coolant still in the system, and they haven't seen any adverse effects (sludge, etc) of WW with the coolant I'm using (not G12, if I remember correctly). Again, I'm not concerned about freezing protection, as I live in AZ.

Although uncomfortably high temps still eventually occurred if I let my tune rev as high as it preferred, my recent changes seemed to definitely help significantly, and if I shift around 5500-6000 instead of nearly 7k like my tune prefers, I was able to keep temperatures in the 220-230 range, which, in my opinion, is more acceptable. Ambient temperatures definitely played a strong factor still. When the day started, the sun was barely up, and obscurred by clouds, and I could run the car as hard as I wanted for the entire 15 minute session without issue. Once the sun came out later, I was pushing 240 again according to my OBD2, and having to back off and start upshifting sooner, which saps some of the fun. However, unlike in the past, I never had issue with the coolant temp gauge moving past it's dummy point, which hopefully was a good sign.

I'm running this CTS intercooler:
http://www.ctsturbo.com/cart/products/CTS_MK6_2_0T_Direct_Fit_FMIC_Kit-3426-546.html

I'm still on the stock radiator, as I have the CBFA engine, and am concerned about how to defeat the CEL issue that replacing it seems to bring about. If I were to replace it, I'd probably have Ron Davis make me one, as he's a client and friend of mine. However, he recommended ensuring adequate airflow, which he wasn't convinced I was getting to it. I've also cleaned up my condenser slightly, which was moderately clogged with crap, and unbent a few hundred or so fins.

I do not have a dedicated DSG cooler, but I do have an aux oil cooler, the rad on which gets air even before it hits the condenser.

Last edited:

mg_90

Bringing this thread back because I think it´s really interesting.

I´m having this issue since the K04 conversion, on the previous IHI turbo I was able to do full sessions without a single issue, now in less than 2 laps, about 4 minutes in my usual track, the water temp goes above 125 ºC, yes, Celsius... :(

Aside from the K04 turbo the MODs cooling wise are:

- Mocal 16 row oil cooler just behind the grill, gets all fresh air.
- Forge UltraExpensiveUltraShitFitment water radiator.
- Wagner Tuning intercooler, it´s a top notch brand here in Europe.
- Verus Engineering hood louvers.
- 100% distilled water with Redline Water Wetter. Ran Motul Mocool in the past but that stuff doesn´t work.
- iAbed aluminium baffled oil pan with increased oil capacity; which should help a little too.

When tracking I run the low power tune with high octane gas, I have APR right now.

In the following 2/4 weeks I am doing a full overhaul for the tracking season in fall, summer here is just too hot.

- iAbed water/oil exchanger delete plate; so true divorced systems.
- New A/C condenser so no bent fins, even though the actual one is 70% like new.
- New oil cooler to prevent ^^.
- Cooling MODs on the upper and lower grill.
- Custom aluminium intercooler ducting to seal as much as possible the front bumper, the OEM plastic ones are :thumbdown:
- Some sort of modifications to the core support to promote air pass.
- Some sort of fan shroud modifications, for city use a full fan shroud is perfect, but for tracking not so much, and my car actually sees little to nothing city driving so let´s try.
- New Graf aluminium water pump with new OEM thermostat, the current pump is several years old.
- Bumper and front crash bar MODs for air flow. When tracking I don´t have the front license plate, here we must have a REAL BIG plate for the road, and want to take use of that bumper space.
- Sourced another identical water radiator like the one I am using and converted it to quadruple pass, yes x4 :bellyroll: (Pretty extensive fluid dynamic calculations were made to ensure the whole cooling package was up to the task for this :w00t:)

I´ll keep you updated.

Oh and I will most likely post updates on Instagram way sooner than here -> @mk6gtimike

Last edited:

zrickety

The Fixer
You mention the water pump is several years old, have you tried changing the coolant? I am running peak long life and K04, did a couple hard track days at VIR without any issues.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I'm trying this stuff this season instead of water wetter. Supposedly has much better results from a few guys I've talked to.

mg_90

You mention the water pump is several years old, have you tried changing the coolant? I am running peak long life and K04, did a couple hard track days at VIR without any issues.

Yes. 3 full coolant flush in the last 18 months; I do even use that fancy Schwaben tool to create vacuum.

mg_90

I'm trying this stuff this season instead of water wetter. Supposedly has much better results from a few guys I've talked to.

Just finished reading the whole thread and saw your post, I am VERY interested to know your results :thumbup:

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion

I´m having this issue since the K04 conversion, on the previous IHI turbo I was able to do full sessions without a single issue, now in less than 2 laps, about 4 minutes in my usual track, the water temp goes above 125 ºC, yes, Celsius... :(

Aside from the K04 turbo the MODs cooling wise are:

- Mocal 16 row oil cooler just behind the grill, gets all fresh air.
- Forge UltraExpensiveUltraShitFitment water radiator.
- Wagner Tuning intercooler, it´s a top notch brand here in Europe.
- Verus Engineering hood louvers.
- 100% distilled water with Redline Water Wetter. Ran Motul Mocool in the past but that stuff doesn´t work.
- iAbed aluminium baffled oil pan with increased oil capacity; which should help a little too.

When tracking I run the low power tune with high octane gas, I have APR right now.

In the following 2/4 weeks I am doing a full overhaul for the tracking season in fall, summer here is just too hot.

- iAbed water/oil exchanger delete plate; so true divorced systems.
- New A/C condenser so no bent fins, even though the actual one is 70% like new.
- New oil cooler to prevent ^^.
- Cooling MODs on the upper and lower grill.
- Custom aluminium intercooler ducting to seal as much as possible the front bumper, the OEM plastic ones are :thumbdown:
- Some sort of modifications to the core support to promote air pass.
- Some sort of fan shroud modifications, for city use a full fan shroud is perfect, but for tracking not so much, and my car actually sees little to nothing city driving so let´s try.
- New Graf aluminium water pump with new OEM thermostat, the current pump is several years old.
- Bumper and front crash bar MODs for air flow. When tracking I don´t have the front license plate, here we must have a REAL BIG plate for the road, and want to take use of that bumper space.
- Sourced another identical water radiator like the one I am using and converted it to quadruple pass, yes x4 :bellyroll: (Pretty extensive fluid dynamic calculations were made to ensure the whole cooling package was up to the task for this :w00t:)

I´ll keep you updated.

Oh and I will most likely post updates on Instagram way sooner than here -> @mk6gtimike

damn surprised even with your current cooling mods, whats the ambient temp?

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Common thread here seems to be we're all APR tuned. Wonder if that's because APR is a boost heavy tune, whereas others might pull more power from ignition timing that might not generate as much heat.

zrickety

The Fixer
I am also APR tuned. Maybe it's the VW coolant?

mg_90

Same here, no VW coolant, I run 100% distilled water with Redline Water Wetter.

Regarding the APR thing, I always have the lowest boost/power map when tracking and run high octane gas. There is zero timing pull; I even got a low torque map loaded on the ECU just for this, so I don´t really think it´s tune related but who knows...