...vs. BMW 1 series

Status
Not open for further replies.

DvS21

Ready to race!
I can't fap to this shit

Diego Armando

Go Kart Champion
oh wait, are we still comparing boosted rwd inline sixxes to boosted fwd fours?

carry on my dear chaps, carry on

msm00b

Ready to race!
Let's examine your links/graphs.

Dyno results are interesting aren't they. Interestingly enough, the 335i puts down less than 300hp and 300torque at the wheels.

Whup ... this one hashed out more torque (318) but slightly less hp at the wheels.

Shit, now this one is a bit confusing. The red line shows 276hp and 298lbs torque at the wheel. The blue line shows 323hp and 341lbs torque at the wheel. Now ... this could be a couple of things.

a) One of them was measured at the wheel (what matters) and the other measured at the crank (what doesn't matter).
b) One of them was stock and the other was modified
c) Their dyno machine is hopelessly broken.

Here's a a couple more:

Here's a link to some dyno results from your precious e90forums!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343619

Post 8:

Results
Dynojet
SAE 5
Stock: 273.58 hp / 282.24 lb-ft
aFe: 267.84 hp / 275.27 lb-ft
Summary: 6hp / 7tq LOSS with aFe intake versus the stock air box

All Dyno Runs (missing the 6th run file)
Runs 1-2 are with the aFe intake.
Runs 3-5 are with the stock air box.

Alright then ... so where are the dyno sheets of a clearly un-modified 335i putting down 350hp/torque at the wheel?

:w00t:

Let's examine the "at the wheel" dyno results for a 2010 GTI stage 2:

Without intake:

With intake/downpipe:

but I'll also take the time to address the other ones I labelled as false.

Until we see eye to eye on the points I addressed, there's no point talking about the points I did not address. If we cannot even agree how much power is being put down on the wheels, there's no point really discussing the other shit.

It's "DUAL" as in two, not "DUEL" as in a fight. Why are you bringing up this point?

Oh f*ck, thanks for pointing out my one word used inappropriately. Kudos!

If you had actually taken the time to read my original statement in it's quoted context you would have noticed that the other poster was attempting to quote the faster automatic tranny times while quoting the lighter weight of the manual transmission. My quote, whose point you completely and utterly missed, was pointing out that if he wanted to discount the extra weight between the automatic and the manual, he also had to discount the extra speed of the automatic. You can't quote automatic tramission times with manaul transmission weight. You compare automatic trasmisison speeds/weights vs other automatics. You compare manual transmission speeds/weights against other manuals. If the 3500lb automatic transmission runs a 5.0 second 0-60 and the 3300lb manual transmisison version runs a 5.5 0-60, you can't do what he did ... which was incorrectly attempt to correct me on the weight (by quoting the less heavy manual transmission) while still attempting to use the faster speeds of the automatic. Hence ... why I said that if you wanted to quote the car as being a lighter weight, you also had to accept that with that lighter weight you also had slower times.

You'd have caught that implied point the first time around if you'd bothered with reading comprehension.

Please show me the dynos of the 350hp/350torque at the wheel. While you're at it, please also explain in great detail the overwhelming presence of conflicting dyno information from otherwise fairly reputable sources (which, I might add, Jive just f*ckin peachy with the numbers BMW quotes).

Last edited:

DvS21

Ready to race!
The APR dyno has to be at the crank... our cars don't put out 212hp 224tq to the wheels stock.

msm00b

Ready to race!
The APR dyno has to be at the crank... our cars don't put out 212hp 224tq to the wheels stock.

Volkswagen quotes 200hp ... but I thought that car manufacturers routinely undersold their lower-end versions of their high-end cars (Hi there Mr Audi who shares the exact same engine)!?! :rolleyes: Unfortunately, volkswagen went one step further and neutered the power output of the engine electronically to keep it from competing with it's more expensive cousins from its sister company.

In all actuality, I actually agree with your point there. APR's is too clean to be a pure dyno at the wheel (that and this particular graph is far to "clean" to be real). The one above it is at the wheel as far as I can tell. It still managed to put down 283/268 compared to 280s/280s ... in a car that's a couple hundred pounds lighter.

Hence ... my statement that once you take the launch and traction (RWD > FWD) out of the equation, the Stage2GTI vs BMW (manual transmission) will ultimately be a driver's race in 99% of encountered driving from a pwr/weight standpoint. If both of them were automatic transmisisons from a 20mph rolling start, it'd probably more matter which company has a more efficient, streamlined, and fast automatic transmission.

Unless, of course, you only like to 0-60 drag race from stop light to stop light or track your car exclusively on the quarter mile ... at which point given similar pwr/wt ratios:

AWD > RWD > FWD

Last edited:

Kg810

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry for the delayed reply, been out of town.

Let's examine your links/graphs.

Dyno results are interesting aren't they. Interestingly enough, the 335i puts down less than 300hp and 300torque at the wheels.

lol.. you do realize that these dynos are whp/rwhp in which you'd need to do conversions and add in 12.8% (manual) or 16% (auto) on top to accomodate for drivetrain loss right? You also need to take into account the type of dyno, the dyno prep, temp, humidity, the altitude and everything else that is attributing to these dyno reads. No two cars of the same car will dyno exactly the same. Anyways, your dynos you are posting from APR are already converted to HP. So take that into consideration and don't directly compare 284.94 to APR Stg 2 HP numbers without doing proper calculations.

I thought you'd understand this, and maybe it is the reason why you completely disregarded the articles I presented you with. You'd think if you took a few minutes to read them, you'd understand that their dynos show the same results as the ones you and I have posted, but then go on to say that the 335 is in fact closer to the 350hp ballpark.

Whup ... this one hashed out more torque (318) but slightly less hp at the wheels.

Sigh.

100% - 12.8% (assuming manual) = 87.2% (Percent of engine power to the wheels and 87.2%= 0.872 rwph/1hpcrank)

279.9rwhp / (0.872 rwhp/1hpcrank) = 321 hpcrank

100% - 16% (assuming auto/step) = 84% (0.84 rwhp/1hpcrank)

279.9rwhp / (0.84 rwhp/1hpcrank) = 333 hpcrank

Even if this owner's 335 stock numbers aren't -that- close to 350 hp, it is significantly higher than BMW's numbers that you keep preaching like it is 300hp and no more. So I've proved my point here in that you are wrong and will continue to be wrong when arguing something you have no clue about. If you want to continue trying to preach what you think is a fact, then go find me a stock 335s dyno numbers that are -exactly- what BMW claims. Seriously. I'd like to see it.

Shit, now this one is a bit confusing. The red line shows 276hp and 298lbs torque at the wheel. The blue line shows 323hp and 341lbs torque at the wheel. Now ... this could be a couple of things.

a) One of them was measured at the wheel (what matters) and the other measured at the crank (what doesn't matter).
b) One of them was stock and the other was modified
c) Their dyno machine is hopelessly broken.

lol I would have thought you were a little smarter and understand to only look at the BASELINE dyno when I kept saying BASELINE and referring to STOCK numbers. /facepalm.

Did I really just need to explain that? :confused:

I don't think I need to do the calculations for you this time, you should be able to do that on your own now.

Here's a a couple more:

Here's a link to some dyno results from your precious e90forums!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343619

Post 8:

Alright then ... so where are the dyno sheets of a clearly un-modified 335i putting down 350hp/torque at the wheel?

LMAO... When did I ever say it was 350whp????? Show me where. I specifically said "closer to 350hp" hahaha. Man, you sure are getting desperate.

Either way, thanks for proving yourself wrong posting all those stock dynos for me. All of which are close to 330hp lols and none of which are 300hp which you have been claiming the 335 has.

:w00t:

Let's examine the "at the wheel" dyno results for a 2010 GTI stage 2:

Without intake:

Uh... yeah why are you posting a 2007 GTI dyno claiming it as 2010 and on top of that you are taking it from a European site and we all know the EU GTI has more hp/tq than the NA GTI.

Anyways, since we are aren't talking about the MKVI specifically even though you keep talking about Stg II GTI on this MKVI board, here's a MKV TSI Stg II video dyno - http://vodpod.com/watch/2959206-2009-mk5-gti-stage-ii-dyno-results

So 250whp for a Stg II 2.0 TSI with APR Stg II ECU, APR 3" DP, Carbonio Intake will have approx:

Manual (assuming 12.8% drive train loss) = 250whp / .872 = 287hpcrank
DSG (assuming 15% drive train loss *prob less with DSG but w.e*)= 250whp / .85 = 294hpcrank.

Feel free to tell me otherwise. Or at least try to tell me how a APR Stg II with 3" DP and Carbonio Intake > stock 335?

Let me quote you here from your first post
Stage 2 GTI with intake/downpipe 0-60? It's difficult to say as there are no published numbers, but the extra 15-20hp, torque, and wider power band put some estimates I've researched handily btw 5-5.4 with a decent set of tires.
So let's see here, you researched and found that Stg II will be around 5-5.4 from 0-60. I've shown you published articles all the way back from 2006 that the 335 does it in 4.7-4.9 and that has been tested and proven countless times.

With intake/downpipe:

Until we see eye to eye on the points I addressed, there's no point talking about the points I did not address. If we cannot even agree how much power is being put down on the wheels, there's no point really discussing the other shit.

Buddy, until you open your eyes, there's no point in even talking to you. Everything that I bring up that has been a valid point, you disregard and go straight for something that you could maybe try and argue. You completely ignore the articles and the other false claims I pointed out. You have no idea what you're talking about and you are too stubborn to see that. Keep preaching that the 335 only makes 300hp/300tq and does 0-60 in 5.5 seconds. Until you realize that you're wrong on a lot of things you've addressed, you won't see eye to eye even if you wanted to.

Oh f*ck, thanks for pointing out my one word used inappropriately. Kudos!

If you had actually taken the time to read my original statement in it's quoted context you would have noticed that the other poster was attempting to quote the faster automatic tranny times while quoting the lighter weight of the manual transmission. My quote, whose point you completely and utterly missed, was pointing out that if he wanted to discount the extra weight between the automatic and the manual, he also had to discount the extra speed of the automatic. You can't quote automatic tramission times with manaul transmission weight. You compare automatic trasmisison speeds/weights vs other automatics. You compare manual transmission speeds/weights against other manuals. If the 3500lb automatic transmission runs a 5.0 second 0-60 and the 3300lb manual transmisison version runs a 5.5 0-60, you can't do what he did ... which was incorrectly attempt to correct me on the weight (by quoting the less heavy manual transmission) while still attempting to use the faster speeds of the automatic. Hence ... why I said that if you wanted to quote the car as being a lighter weight, you also had to accept that with that lighter weight you also had slower times.

You'd have caught that implied point the first time around if you'd bothered with reading comprehension.

Please show me the dynos of the 350hp/350torque at the wheel. While you're at it, please also explain in great detail the overwhelming presence of conflicting dyno information from otherwise fairly reputable sources (which, I might add, Jive just f*ckin peachy with the numbers BMW quotes).

Read above. Thanks.

Diego Armando

Go Kart Champion
wait let me get a bigger stick so you can beat this dead horse a little harder

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Last edited:

msm00b

Ready to race!
It's all so clear now. I'm wrong. BMW is wrong about their own vehicle. APR is apparently wrong in it's dynos. The people publishing their own BMW dynos aren't showing off their information correctly. Everyone is wrong except you.

Gotcha, we're super duper clear now. Mind telling me where you got your PhD for intrawebs awesomesauce? I'd love to be in the know.

/thread

DvS21

Ready to race!
It's all so clear now. I'm wrong. BMW is wrong about their own vehicle. APR is apparently wrong in it's dynos. The people publishing their own BMW dynos aren't showing off their information correctly. Everyone is wrong except you.

Gotcha, we're super duper clear now. Mind telling me where you got your PhD for intrawebs awesomesauce? I'd love to be in the know.

/thread

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
OTOH... the 1M is just around the corner!!!

http://jalopnik.com/5582803/bmw-1m-is-the-new-1-series-m-coupe

Check out the official BMW video about it too!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG16SqUl3bE&feature=player_embedded

it's funny how the German dude keeps saying M Pure.. sounds like impure:)

But 1M is pretty sick... who cares about 1/4 mile times and horsepower when you could power slide this around the track!!!

But still... get the GTI now, then when the 1M comes out get the 1M as your weekend track car and keep the GTI as the weekday daily driver:)

DvS21

Ready to race!
OTOH... the 1M is just around the corner!!!

http://jalopnik.com/5582803/bmw-1m-is-the-new-1-series-m-coupe

Check out the official BMW video about it too!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG16SqUl3bE&feature=player_embedded

it's funny how the German dude keeps saying M Pure.. sounds like impure:)

But 1M is pretty sick... who cares about 1/4 mile times and horsepower when you could power slide this around the track!!!

But still... get the GTI now, then when the 1M comes out get the 1M as your weekend track car and keep the GTI as the weekday daily driver:)

when I pay off the GTI I'm getting a BMW, I'm going to get the Fastest BMW there is. The BMW S1000rr. DD the GTI and ride the bike like I stole it whenever the weather allows.

Status
Not open for further replies.