GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Official K04 Club (Experiences and Troubleshooting)

dubbinit

Go Kart Champion
So I purchased a pre-owned HPA K04, and I was planning on driving down to DBC Tuning to have them install the K04, con rods, and tune. They are my shop of preference, and I'm not sure I can run the K04 safely with a stage 2 tune to install it myself and drive ~600miles to have the con rods and tune done. The price out the door for install and tune is ~$3800, with their recommended head machining (to apparently verify tolerances and potentially rework small flaws before installation). So that is $3800 (K04 install, all fluids, con rods, con rod install, tune), plus the $1700 I spend on the K04.

I know it will be balls fast, but I don't think I could stand the increased magnitude of power with the lack of a Wavetrac. At stage 2, as we all know, there is a problem putting down power, so I was thinking about forfeiting the K04 for a year or two until I graduate college, and stick with an LSD install + W/M + suspension tuning for now.

$5500 for K04, connecting rods, tune, head work, and all labor.

OR

$2700 for WaveTrac + install, proceeding to direct injection W/M, then full suspension work, staying IHI for the next year or two.

HELP!

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
So I purchased a pre-owned HPA K04, and I was planning on driving down to DBC Tuning to have them install the K04, con rods, and tune. They are my shop of preference, and I'm not sure I can run the K04 safely with a stage 2 tune to install it myself and drive ~600miles to have the con rods and tune done. The price out the door for install and tune is ~$3800, with their recommended head machining (to apparently verify tolerances and potentially rework small flaws before installation). So that is $3800 (K04 install, all fluids, con rods, con rod install, tune), plus the $1700 I spend on the K04.

I know it will be balls fast, but I don't think I could stand the increased magnitude of power with the lack of a Wavetrac. At stage 2, as we all know, there is a problem putting down power, so I was thinking about forfeiting the K04 for a year or two until I graduate college, and stick with an LSD install + W/M + suspension tuning for now.

OR

$2700 for WaveTrac + install, proceeding to direct injection W/M, then full suspension work, staying IHI for the next year or two.

HELP!

Why are you doing rods with a K04? It's not necessary AT ALL. People run 3+ kits with stock rods. The k04 will be fine with stock rods even running 100 octane. I'm not sure what machine work you are doing either, but it is unnessesary. Install the K04, and get an LSD if you want. DO NOT do something stupid like the rods or headwork for a baby turbo. It sounds like this shop is trying to screw you over and you could get a much better deal somewhere else with more knowledgeable people working of your vehicle.

Shini

Go Kart Champion
Is the mascot for k04 now a baby bear or is that a typo in the thread title?

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion

OR

HELP!

I like where your head is at as far as researching and making sure your car can handle the K04 but rods and engine work is not needed. If I were you I would make sure your intake/exhaust/intercooler are all in order. From there, I would focus on the useable power with good summer street tires, HPA subframe mount, TyrolSport subframe kit, sway bars and an LSD if you can cover the expense. Also, upgrade your clutch disk if you're manual as you will slip over time in higher gears. To give you an idea of a solid K04 build complete with reviews and explanations, see my build thread in my signature. I'm at the end of the road with upgrades and I see myself in your spot a year ago. Next up is an Aquamist HFS-4 direct port injection W/M kit to complete the system.

dubbinit

Go Kart Champion
Why are you doing rods with a K04? It's not necessary AT ALL. People run 3+ kits with stock rods. The k04 will be fine with stock rods even running 100 octane. I'm not sure what machine work you are doing either, but it is unnessesary. Install the K04, and get an LSD if you want. DO NOT do something stupid like the rods or headwork for a baby turbo. It sounds like this shop is trying to screw you over and you could get a much better deal somewhere else with more knowledgeable people working of your vehicle.

I opted for rods, and I am doing rods for reliability and peace of mind. Putting in at least rods is the only way I will slap on another turbo. It is not me doing the machine work, but i find it preventative maintenance as well. That price included all gaskets and everything. I pay for quality work. DBC Tuning is one hell of a shop owned by one cool dude. If you snoop around the forums more, you would see threads of the work they have performed on numerous vehicles.

I like where your head is at as far as researching and making sure your car can handle the K04 but rods and engine work is not needed. If I were you I would make sure your intake/exhaust/intercooler are all in order. From there, I would focus on the useable power with good summer street tires, HPA subframe mount, TyrolSport subframe kit, sway bars and an LSD if you can cover the expense. Also, upgrade your clutch disk if you're manual as you will slip over time in higher gears. To give you an idea of a solid K04 build complete with reviews and explanations, see my build thread in my signature. I'm at the end of the road with upgrades and I see myself in your spot a year ago. Next up is an Aquamist HFS-4 direct port injection W/M kit to complete the system.

Oh, well I have done research on these forums for years on whether stock internals could handle the K04 and they definitely could, but I would like peace of mind and not having to worry about opening up the case for an even lengthier time. The usable power is what I am primarily worried about, and that is why I am opting to just drop LSD and have fun with that for now. I'm usually riding conservatively on my OEM Heritage CZ8 wheels with BFG a/s tires, but I have a set of 18's that I ride with RS3s when I want to rip it up. I am also DSG, so I have a bit less to worry about, but I will give your thread a look to see how far you've come along! Thanks. Along with the LSD route, I would do sway bars, links, VWR Subframe mount (I wouldn't mind the NVH), lightweight front control arms/stiffer bushings, W.A.L.K.

I am APR Stage 2 with BSH full intake, APR intercooler, 42DD 3" downpipe, Vanguard 2.5" cat-back, 034 motorsports motor/trans mounts.

I feel as though I would need to definitely do a BBK with the K04, another one of my objections to going forth with the K04..
I do have USP SS lines, ATE Super Blue, blank rotors, Stoptech pads.

Edit: Checking out your thread, and you have definitely gone the mile in the direction of which I would like to head. The subframe kits are next up on my list! I like your plans for the direct injection system as well. Please do make a DIY!

Last edited:

grambles423

Automotive Engineer

ehancock

Ready to race!
Stoptech's were definitely needed when I went K04 lol.

Any brake upgrade is definitely needed.

Ugh, so true. I needed brakes anyways but wow even more evident with k04

Regapped my plugs to 028. Can't say that I really noticed a difference though. I think my idle might actually be worse lol

Last edited:

dubbinit

Go Kart Champion
I'm in about 5k in just parts lol no turning back now lol

I'm sure you'll find it worth it!

I didn't know wavetrac started making LSDs for the dsg. Are you sure they cost $2800 plus install?

I hadn't thought so either, but DBC Tuning was able to find Wavetrac options for both 20-tooth and 25-tooth parking gears. I am going to find other quotes, but I'm sure this is competitive. The value was $27xx for everything out-the-door, including a full DSG fluid change.

Wavetrac News
There you go, it says they released differentials for both 02E FWD and for 02E AWD.

GunMetalGTI

Go Kart Champion
I haven't had one miss fire with red top coils and the pfrbs gapped at .028 on K04 even when it was running/boosting like shit and overboosting.
For that matter I have never had a missfire code once in 29k.
Don't know if it helps but I always torque, don't use anti-seize, use the lubricant for the coils on the porcelin of the plug which helps keep out moisture for one, and gap with feeler gauges...aka a more accurate gapping tool.

As far as a lsd is concerned, I would get one if I were tracking the car a ton or dragging it, but with K04, aggressive tires and mounts and a complete suspension I don't really see the need for it. If anything its like Hyde said, definitely the brakes are worth it and hell I'd do it just for looks....but for the money I will probably never go LSD unless I am upgrading a clutch pack on a dsg or something.

But hey if you got it ...spend it. Its always on to the next mod or next paint job or set of wheels or whatnot lol