GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Off-Topic Discussions > General Car News and Discussions

Old 02-16-2018, 12:06 PM   #1
ben_m
Touring Car Champion

Drives: Mkvi GTI / MDX
Weekend Car thoughts

Been toying with the idea for pretty much ever, but at some point I plan on getting a weekend car. Pro's/Con's for below, other suggestions/fantasy options? I'd like to keep the budget to less than 7k, although a solid running S4 is probably not going to fit into that realm.

E46 330 (Coupe/Sedan) - makes no difference to me, as long as its a MTX.

B5 -S4. I love the Bi-Turbo V6, beautiful lines, fast. I suppose I could grab a A4 w/ 2.7 but I think it would just make me angry.

IS300 - Its really hard to find one w/ Manual and I know the price is significantly higher than Auto.

What else do you guys got?
ben_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:29 PM   #2
ahard48
Rally Car Champion

Drives: '14 GTI Wolfsburg Powered By Paypal
I have been looking for an S2000 for the past few months, but the IS300 attracts my eye as well. If I ranked them id go 1)E46 2)IS300 3)S4 but I have no experience with any of them so keep that in mind.
APR Stage 1 l APR Carbonio Intake 1+ 2 l OEM Roof Rack l DeAutoKey l Nokya 2500k Fogs l 35% Tint l CW Rear Inlay l HPA shifter/42dd bushings l P3 Vent Gauge l ST Coilovers l Eurojet DP l Beluga Exhaust
ahard48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:23 PM   #3
ben_m
Touring Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahard48 View Post
I have been looking for an S2000 for the past few months, but the IS300 attracts my eye as well. If I ranked them id go 1)E46 2)IS300 3)S4 but I have no experience with any of them so keep that in mind.
S2000 are nice, not much of a convertible person tho, and a decent example is going to be 10-15K
Old 02-19-2018, 09:14 PM   #4
markus037
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 GTI 4dr DSG
all of those cars are going to be hard to find in good shape. the newest B5 S4 is now 16 years old and most of them have been beat to hell now. E46s are starting to become scarce in good shape too. I love S2000s, but you are going to have to put down some money to find one that isnt modded, rebuilt 5 times or has high miles.
markus037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:58 AM   #5
ben_m
Touring Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus037 View Post
all of those cars are going to be hard to find in good shape. the newest B5 S4 is now 16 years old and most of them have been beat to hell now. E46s are starting to become scarce in good shape too. I love S2000s, but you are going to have to put down some money to find one that isnt modded, rebuilt 5 times or has high miles.
Agreed, I was actually eyeing a 330ci in CT, body looks in solid shape and lots of maintenance done, only asking 5K.

I think if I went the route of B5 S4 I would have to save up $$ and buy one with a solid body and then rebuild the motor/turbos.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:00 PM   #6
damagi123
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG
ive been toying with getting another more comfortable car and making this my weekend car so i can go even further with the mods and not have to worry about daily drivability
APR K04 V3.1, APR DSG tune, APR Intake, Uni intercooler, UR Catless Downpipe, CTS Chargepipe & TOP, W.A.L.K, APR 27mm Front and Rear Sways, ECS Dogbone insert, 034 Subframe Collars, Pedalbox throttle controller, 17" Fujins on Conti DW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
"You're no daisy. No daisy at all."
damagi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 04:22 AM   #7
Korydogg
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: '14 Drivers Edition
Have you ever considered a jeep? Theres nothing like picking up a beat up 4x4 and taking it on the trail. Plenty of aftermarket support and you get the opportunity to do something a little bit different.
Korydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:50 AM   #8
ben_m
Touring Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korydogg View Post
Have you ever considered a jeep? Theres nothing like picking up a beat up 4x4 and taking it on the trail. Plenty of aftermarket support and you get the opportunity to do something a little bit different.
Nah, not my style. I actually hate driving in SUV's, the high center of gravity makes me uncomfortable driving.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:14 PM   #9
damagi123
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korydogg View Post
GTI and Jeep would be a solid combo for some folks I think
APR K04 V3.1, APR DSG tune, APR Intake, Uni intercooler, UR Catless Downpipe, CTS Chargepipe & TOP, W.A.L.K, APR 27mm Front and Rear Sways, ECS Dogbone insert, 034 Subframe Collars, Pedalbox throttle controller, 17" Fujins on Conti DW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
"You're no daisy. No daisy at all."
damagi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 04:47 PM   #10
Short Bus
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: '10 GTI
I'll be "that guy" and say Miata. For me, at that price, I'm focusing on the bargains that have a healthy aftermarket to support them. So MX-5, SN95 Mustang GT, or '90's Honda if I could find a good one.

What I would really be on the lookout for though would be a 1st or 2nd gen GTI in decent shape, or maybe an '84 or '85 RX-7. Cars with character and style that make their relative lack of performance easy to forgive.
Short Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:03 PM   #11
ben_m
Touring Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short Bus View Post
I'll be "that guy" and say Miata. For me, at that price, I'm focusing on the bargains that have a healthy aftermarket to support them. So MX-5, SN95 Mustang GT, or '90's Honda if I could find a good one.

What I would really be on the lookout for though would be a 1st or 2nd gen GTI in decent shape, or maybe an '84 or '85 RX-7. Cars with character and style that make their relative lack of performance easy to forgive.
Rx-7 Turbo II. Totally forgot, that would be a sweet car, but finding one that didn't need a new motor or electrical gremlins....

This caught my eye the other day...
https://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto...494369665.html