GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 2 died at light

Lazer 100

Ready to race!
I agree with Budget. Keep what you have for parts, or if you have the time sell it piece by piece. You could probably cover your replacement engine cost if you have the time and ambition to part it out. I personally would want to do an autopsy on it anyway.

Out of curiosity, did you check to see if you’re losing oil from your cam bearing? It’s a 2.0T thing that has the same symptoms. My wife’s Tiguan had to have it replaced, so it’s become personal.

Also, I don’t know which dealership you go to, if you go to one at all, but skip Metro VW and Lewisville VW. VW in McKinney is an APR dealer and may tend to be more sympathetic toward people that have tuned.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
I agree with Budget. Keep what you have for parts, or if you have the time sell it piece by piece. You could probably cover your replacement engine cost if you have the time and ambition to part it out. I personally would want to do an autopsy on it anyway.

Out of curiosity, did you check to see if you’re losing oil from your cam bearing? It’s a 2.0T thing that has the same symptoms. My wife’s Tiguan had to have it replaced, so it’s become personal.

Also, I don’t know which dealership you go to, if you go to one at all, but skip Metro VW and Lewisville VW. VW in McKinney is an APR dealer and may tend to be more sympathetic toward people that have tuned.

I live right by metro and have a real friend that works there. I get my work done at vw folks. Yes, i will pull the motor as i to am curious what failed. My issue with buying another engine is all the recalls..like timing tensioner ect..will any mk6 tsi work? I know there is a ccta and some other..nit sure which i have. It will be a few weeks befire i can pull motor but i will update this thread. My engine still runs fine just no oil pressure..lol
Would seem eaiser to fix what is broken but you guys have more exoerience with these. I have built hondas and ac vdubs, this will be a learning experience.
Thanks!

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
The problem with just fixing what you have is that what you found in the oil pan is A LOT of metal. There is a pretty good chance that there is a lot more damage done internally than your current symptoms suggest. A new engine may be necessary anyway.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
If you watch this video that I posted earlier about the guy with the same balance shaft issue he says he wishes he just put a new engine in. Especially since he pulled the engine out anyway and had to hammer out one of the stuck balance shafts from the transmission side. He also had a bunch of metal shavings in his oil pan but he cleaned it all out and put it back together and it seems like it worked for him. New balance shafts, timing components, cam bracket and new pcv etc all add up quickly though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTEMl9q9iD0

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
The problem with just fixing what you have is that what you found in the oil pan is A LOT of metal. There is a pretty good chance that there is a lot more damage done internally than your current symptoms suggest. A new engine may be necessary anyway.

It was all aluminum, not that it makes a difference. I agree to a point, i prefere to build my own stuff because i can trust my work. I dont want to buy someone elses problems..but on the other hand i dont have years of experience with these motors. Dont know much about them at all really, but that will change.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
If you watch this video that I posted earlier about the guy with the same balance shaft issue he says he wishes he just put a new engine in. Especially since he pulled the engine out anyway and had to hammer out one of the stuck balance shafts from the transmission side. He also had a bunch of metal shavings in his oil pan but he cleaned it all out and put it back together and it seems like it worked for him. New balance shafts, timing components, cam bracket and new pcv etc all add up quickly though.

I did watch a bit of it, ran out of time. I will watch it tonight.
Is there any particular years that are better than others? I plan on making this my fun car and would like to see 400 at the wheels. I know i need a giid foundation to build upon. Are the audi 2.0 any better or do they just have better stock components? I plan on upgrading turbo and not sure what else i would need motor wise?
So..just look for a mk6 motor within my year range? So many recalls on so many parts...fawwk!

Thanks in advance guys!

Uberryan

Banned
I did watch a bit of it, ran out of time. I will watch it tonight.
Is there any particular years that are better than others? I plan on making this my fun car and would like to see 400 at the wheels. I know i need a giid foundation to build upon. Are the audi 2.0 any better or do they just have better stock components? I plan on upgrading turbo and not sure what else i would need motor wise?
So..just look for a mk6 motor within my year range? So many recalls on so many parts...fawwk!

Thanks in advance guys!

2013+ should have no timing tensioner issues. My engine was replaced under warranty after a bearing slipped and shrapnel'd the long block. I have a 2013 on my 2011 now, so it has an oil temp sensor plug on the bottom of the pan, different color dipstick, newest tensioner rev... I think, etc.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
CBFA is the other engine code and its pretty much for emissions purposes. You'd know if you had that engine type because the secondary air pump kicks on during cold starts for 20 seconds or so. Pretty loud sound that isn't your exhaust. You would also have another, smaller, air intake filter in your engine bay if you have an aftermarket intake system.

CBFA engines also have an additional O2 sensor.... probably other minor differences. Its like PZEV for Subaru's.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion

I watched complete vid. Didnt seem too bad, better than buying another person's problens. I guess if i can find a lower milage for block for 2k i can put my updated parts on it. That is if my timing side isnt trashed.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Ok, got engine lift to get it out of the car. Will i need to take trans out before removing motor? I think so..i plan on pulling it out the front as it looks easiest.
Thanks in advance!
I drove car around block yesterday and it runs great, just no oil pressure Lulz heres a vid
https://youtu.be/bLD7awkiwmk

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion

So, never pulled an engine out of a wc dub. Tell me if im doing it correctly. Currently unhooking all elec connections,axles,motor mounts. I am labeling most connections with tape and writing designation. I have a hoist and plan to pull engine amd trans right out of the front. ANY AND ALL ADVICE IS MUCH APPRECIATED.
Spent 3k on timing and southbend stg2 and now this....FAWK...