GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com



Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2018, 06:22 PM   #43
BudgetPhoenix
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
Drives: 09 GLI
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 680
Might be easier to just put in a new engine. But of course id still would want to check to see what happened inside of it
BudgetPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:58 PM   #44
Allchokedup
Autocross Champion
 
Drives: 2011 gti stage 2 /stg2 sb daily
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetPhoenix View Post
Might be easier to just put in a new engine. But of course id still would want to check to see what happened inside of it
Like a low mileage? I want the bottom and top end to be solid. Dont kniw what these cranks can hold? These fuckers are a lot if maintenance for sure. Why not just build what i have? Too much work/ cost ect..i really only trust what i touch.
Allchokedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:40 PM   #45
FocalPoint
Formula 3000 Champion
 
FocalPoint's Avatar
 
Drives: MKV GTI/MKVI GTI
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 4,740
I would start by checking on the timing chain side and see if this was due to negligence. bolts don't just unscrew themselves... they're left loose. You said you just had the timing chain tensioner done, and many suspect this is a part of that. Start there. If you have enough reason to suspect shop negligence, I would ask they cover the repair or look into a lawyer.
__________________
FocalPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:06 PM   #46
Lazer 100
Go Kart Champion
 
Lazer 100's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 GTI
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 42
I agree with Budget. Keep what you have for parts, or if you have the time sell it piece by piece. You could probably cover your replacement engine cost if you have the time and ambition to part it out. I personally would want to do an autopsy on it anyway.

Out of curiosity, did you check to see if you’re losing oil from your cam bearing? It’s a 2.0T thing that has the same symptoms. My wife’s Tiguan had to have it replaced, so it’s become personal.

Also, I don’t know which dealership you go to, if you go to one at all, but skip Metro VW and Lewisville VW. VW in McKinney is an APR dealer and may tend to be more sympathetic toward people that have tuned.
Lazer 100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:04 PM   #47
Allchokedup
Autocross Champion
 
Drives: 2011 gti stage 2 /stg2 sb daily
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer 100 View Post
I agree with Budget. Keep what you have for parts, or if you have the time sell it piece by piece. You could probably cover your replacement engine cost if you have the time and ambition to part it out. I personally would want to do an autopsy on it anyway.

Out of curiosity, did you check to see if youíre losing oil from your cam bearing? Itís a 2.0T thing that has the same symptoms. My wifeís Tiguan had to have it replaced, so itís become personal.

Also, I donít know which dealership you go to, if you go to one at all, but skip Metro VW and Lewisville VW. VW in McKinney is an APR dealer and may tend to be more sympathetic toward people that have tuned.
I live right by metro and have a real friend that works there. I get my work done at vw folks. Yes, i will pull the motor as i to am curious what failed. My issue with buying another engine is all the recalls..like timing tensioner ect..will any mk6 tsi work? I know there is a ccta and some other..nit sure which i have. It will be a few weeks befire i can pull motor but i will update this thread. My engine still runs fine just no oil pressure..lol
Would seem eaiser to fix what is broken but you guys have more exoerience with these. I have built hondas and ac vdubs, this will be a learning experience.
Thanks!
Allchokedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:43 PM   #48
gijoewoz
Oval Newbie
 
Drives: 2005 Impreza RS
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 120
The problem with just fixing what you have is that what you found in the oil pan is A LOT of metal. There is a pretty good chance that there is a lot more damage done internally than your current symptoms suggest. A new engine may be necessary anyway.
gijoewoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:06 PM   #49
BudgetPhoenix
FIA World Rally Car Champion
 
Drives: 09 GLI
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 680
If you watch this video that I posted earlier about the guy with the same balance shaft issue he says he wishes he just put a new engine in. Especially since he pulled the engine out anyway and had to hammer out one of the stuck balance shafts from the transmission side. He also had a bunch of metal shavings in his oil pan but he cleaned it all out and put it back together and it seems like it worked for him. New balance shafts, timing components, cam bracket and new pcv etc all add up quickly though.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTEMl9q9iD0
BudgetPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:05 PM   #50
Allchokedup
Autocross Champion
 
Drives: 2011 gti stage 2 /stg2 sb daily
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoewoz View Post
The problem with just fixing what you have is that what you found in the oil pan is A LOT of metal. There is a pretty good chance that there is a lot more damage done internally than your current symptoms suggest. A new engine may be necessary anyway.
It was all aluminum, not that it makes a difference. I agree to a point, i prefere to build my own stuff because i can trust my work. I dont want to buy someone elses problems..but on the other hand i dont have years of experience with these motors. Dont know much about them at all really, but that will change.
Allchokedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:11 PM   #51
Allchokedup
Autocross Champion
 
Drives: 2011 gti stage 2 /stg2 sb daily
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetPhoenix View Post
If you watch this video that I posted earlier about the guy with the same balance shaft issue he says he wishes he just put a new engine in. Especially since he pulled the engine out anyway and had to hammer out one of the stuck balance shafts from the transmission side. He also had a bunch of metal shavings in his oil pan but he cleaned it all out and put it back together and it seems like it worked for him. New balance shafts, timing components, cam bracket and new pcv etc all add up quickly though.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTEMl9q9iD0
I did watch a bit of it, ran out of time. I will watch it tonight.
Is there any particular years that are better than others? I plan on making this my fun car and would like to see 400 at the wheels. I know i need a giid foundation to build upon. Are the audi 2.0 any better or do they just have better stock components? I plan on upgrading turbo and not sure what else i would need motor wise?
So..just look for a mk6 motor within my year range? So many recalls on so many parts...fawwk!

Thanks in advance guys!
Allchokedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:12 AM   #52
FocalPoint
Formula 3000 Champion
 
FocalPoint's Avatar
 
Drives: MKV GTI/MKVI GTI
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 4,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allchokedup View Post
I did watch a bit of it, ran out of time. I will watch it tonight.
Is there any particular years that are better than others? I plan on making this my fun car and would like to see 400 at the wheels. I know i need a giid foundation to build upon. Are the audi 2.0 any better or do they just have better stock components? I plan on upgrading turbo and not sure what else i would need motor wise?
So..just look for a mk6 motor within my year range? So many recalls on so many parts...fawwk!

Thanks in advance guys!
2013+ should have no timing tensioner issues. My engine was replaced under warranty after a bearing slipped and shrapnel'd the long block. I have a 2013 on my 2011 now, so it has an oil temp sensor plug on the bottom of the pan, different color dipstick, newest tensioner rev... I think, etc.
__________________
FocalPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:25 AM   #53
GreyGti1990
FIA GT Newbie
 
Drives: 2011 Gti 4-door
Join Date: May 2015
Location: CT
Posts: 818
CBFA is the other engine code and its pretty much for emissions purposes. You'd know if you had that engine type because the secondary air pump kicks on during cold starts for 20 seconds or so. Pretty loud sound that isn't your exhaust. You would also have another, smaller, air intake filter in your engine bay if you have an aftermarket intake system.

CBFA engines also have an additional O2 sensor.... probably other minor differences. Its like PZEV for Subaru's.
__________________
2011 4-door CSG 6-speed GTi - Sigma Six, Boost gauge, AWE TOP/CTS Throttle, APR Carbonio, Revo 2, GFB DV+,SB st3 Daily(485ft lbs), VWR FSB, DG Springs, WALK, Collar Kit, Fluidampr, APR downpipe, 225/45/17 PSS, Sparco Assetto Gara, Stoptech slotted rotors/pads, Uni Intercooler, BFI Knob, USP SS lines, ATE fluid, Beluga Cat-back, LED Tails, New Tensioner.
Soon to Come: Tints, R Bumper, Headlights, Pendulum Mount, Rear sway
GreyGti1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 11:50 AM   #54
Allchokedup
Autocross Champion
 
Drives: 2011 gti stage 2 /stg2 sb daily
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetPhoenix View Post
If you watch this video that I posted earlier about the guy with the same balance shaft issue he says he wishes he just put a new engine in. Especially since he pulled the engine out anyway and had to hammer out one of the stuck balance shafts from the transmission side. He also had a bunch of metal shavings in his oil pan but he cleaned it all out and put it back together and it seems like it worked for him. New balance shafts, timing components, cam bracket and new pcv etc all add up quickly though.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTEMl9q9iD0
I watched complete vid. Didnt seem too bad, better than buying another person's problens. I guess if i can find a lower milage for block for 2k i can put my updated parts on it. That is if my timing side isnt trashed.
Allchokedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:38 PM   #55
Allchokedup
Autocross Champion
 
Drives: 2011 gti stage 2 /stg2 sb daily
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 115
Ok, got engine lift to get it out of the car. Will i need to take trans out before removing motor? I think so..i plan on pulling it out the front as it looks easiest.
Thanks in advance!
I drove car around block yesterday and it runs great, just no oil pressure Lulz heres a vid
https://youtu.be/bLD7awkiwmk
Allchokedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:49 PM   #56
Allchokedup
Autocross Champion
 
Drives: 2011 gti stage 2 /stg2 sb daily
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 115


So, never pulled an engine out of a wc dub. Tell me if im doing it correctly. Currently unhooking all elec connections,axles,motor mounts. I am labeling most connections with tape and writing designation. I have a hoist and plan to pull engine amd trans right out of the front. ANY AND ALL ADVICE IS MUCH APPRECIATED.
Spent 3k on timing and southbend stg2 and now this....FAWK...
Allchokedup is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.