GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil Cooler Testing / Parts list

DaveGLI

Ready to race!
This has probably been my most requested post since initially posting information about my oil cooler plans to several facebook groups including my own group GLiArmy

So as promised, I figured I'd make this post to a forum vs a fb page so its easier to reference.

For more nifty testing, upgrades and projects, go check out my Instagram: @toothless675

You can find my -6AN E85 Fuel line conversion on their too and some Big turbo love coming soon too!

Post #1: Data, Testing, Conclusion, Solution
Post #2: Parts List
Post #3: Pictures
Initial Testing:
Vehicle: 2012 GLI CCTA. Stock Turbo > Stage 2+ > WMI
Ambient Temperatures: 30*F to 80*F
Equipment: Innovate MTX Oil Pressure / Temperature gauge with data logging capabilities via RS232 (COMM) to USB and Logworks3 software from Innovate.

Innovate Part Number 3913 and available from Innovate direct or many other places. Link to gauge setup. >> Here <<

Oil: Rotella T6 5W40 (5k OCI)
Oil Pressure location: Initially (pre cooler install) was Tee'd off the oil dummy light (not suggested) Post cooler install it was moved to an adapter fitting on the return side of the cooler.
Oil Temperature Probe location: Tapped into the oil pan in the OEM location for the sensor, spaced with a 1/4" thick steel bung to set the sensor perfectly level (no threads) in the pan itself.

Conclusion:​
After looking at the data that came from the logger and visually watching my gauge in every day driving, both spiritedly and casually from open roads to traffic filled highways. It was abruptly obvious that the car has a need for an oil cooler.

I never lost pressure, however it was not uncommon to see 240*F Oil temperatures or higher on stop and go traffic.

To test in a closed environment I went out at night after work, got the car up to operating temp and the oil was at a normal temp. I ran a series of 3 consecutive pulls off a 40mph to 120mph run and by the 3rd run the car had hit the oil temp warning light which comes on at 250*F

The Solution:​
The solution to the problem was fairly simple, Oil Plate adapter, cooler and lines.

I have since retested and duplicated all of the original controls since installing the oil cooler and I even pushed the car even harder to try and get the oil temperature to rise, even doing consistent 120mph sustained pulls and taking the car to 160mph, I have NEVER seen oil temperature go outside of my green zone which is programmed into my Innovate at 230*F.

Before and after picture, Also posted to my Instagram @Toothless675

Logging yields the average of 190-200*F oil temps at the highest conditions through repeated abuse.

But you all didn't come here to read some text, you came for the parts list To make this more interesting I'll lace the post with pics along the way

Last edited:

DaveGLI

Ready to race!
Parts List: All the Part numbers are hyperlinked

Oil Cooler: Setrab Series-1 19 row cooler (PN:50-119-7612)
Oil Adapter Plate: Mocal thermostatic Adapter Plate (PN: SP1TTSI)

Fittings & Hose: W/ Provision for Innovate set-up.
Hose: Fragola Performance Systems General Purpose (PN: 871008)

I ordered 10' and had about 3-4' of left over
NOTE: Fragola lists the hose is only good for 212*F.. I am not concerned about it as I had called fragola in advance they told me it'll still handle higher temp, they only advertise 212. They have tested well beyond what I need.

Cooler side Fittings:
Setrab M22x1.50 ORB to -8 AN (PN: M22AN08-SE)
Jegs 90* -8AN Push-loc (PN: 555-110072)

Adapter side Fittings:
Mocal 1/2"-14 ORB to -8AN (PN: Came with plate)
Jegs 45* -8AN Push-Loc (PN: 555-110062)
Racetronix -8M > -8F gauge adapter (PN: ADF-495006B)

I'm utilizing a WIX 1.8T small diameter Oil filter, PN: 51393

Last edited:

DaveGLI

Ready to race!
Pictures:​

The Testing Set-up:

Innovate Oil temp sensor installed in the oil pan

Pre-Installation / Modification of the oil pan:

Mock up of the Oil Adapter plate and location of Pre-Cooler sensor:

Fittings and Hose:

Beautiful craftsmanship of the Setrab and Racetronix fittings:

Last edited:

smanierre

Autocross Champion
So seeing as the engine is ccta, I'm assuming this would still stand for a gti?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

DaveGLI

Ready to race!
Pictures #2:​

Test Vehicle after cooler installation:

Cooler Up close installed:

Lines installed (pic taken through fog grille opening):

Cooler installed (Bumper off):

Routing of Lines and New Sensor location:

Mock up of cooler pre-lines:

DaveGLI

Ready to race!
So seeing as the engine is ccta, I'm assuming this would still stand for a gti?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

It's a safe bet that this is applicable to any and all TSI Engines, Gen 1, and 3.

As none of them have a sufficient OEM Oil cooler and actually the OEM Set-up HEATS the oil to get it up to temp faster and into operating range but does nothing to cool it after that point.

Charles@NGP

Ready to race!
It's a safe bet that this is applicable to any and all TSI Engines, Gen 1, and 3.

As none of them have a sufficient OEM Oil cooler and actually the OEM Set-up HEATS the oil to get it up to temp faster and into operating range but does nothing to cool it after that point.

Almost all of the parts will work between the Gen 1, 2 and 3 TSI engine. The sandwich plate however, will not work on a Gen 3 TSI due to the difference between the filter stands on that engine and the Gen 1 & 2 engines.

Chris659

Ready to race!

Any issue with removing the oe oil cooler and just having a separate cooler like the one here? I live in Florida so I don’t deal with cold temps much. DD use

DaveGLI

Ready to race!
Almost all of the parts will work between the Gen 1, 2 and 3 TSI engine. The sandwich plate however, will not work on a Gen 3 TSI due to the difference between the filter stands on that engine and the Gen 1 & 2 engines.

Thanks for the Info Charles!

I'm clearly Gen 1 so I cant speak much towards gen 3, just saying based off my results its pretty amazing how well this thing works!

adema69

Ready to race!
Thanks for the Info Charles!

I'm clearly Gen 1 so I cant speak much towards gen 3, just saying based off my results its pretty amazing how well this thing works!

I don't think he removed the stock oil cooler as I believe its built into the accessory bracket. This setup will keep the stock warm up but you now have a way to cool your oil with air instead of just coolant haha.

DaveGLI

Ready to race!

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
I'm ininterested also, I have a nice cooler with an fittings and 2× 8ft lines made up. Picked it up for $30 from a dirt track guy..I'm certain it would help if mounted in one of the fake vents by the driving lights..I didnt see your outcome?