GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Radio Problems

JustinT

Ready to race!
Hey guys, my GTI has the RCD-310 head unit. Complete base sound system equipped in the car. Just randomly, and recently my speakers have been experiencing static and broken up sound passing trees, stop signs, lights, etc. But, it is only on FM and other cars that have the same preset channels as me do not experience the same issue. Although, playing via bluetooth/aux does not have any ruined sound. Any thoughts on possible problems?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Just to be sure, this isn't also linked to having something plugged into your cigarette lighter such as a phone charger? That's when I get static. Real annoying.

JustinT

Ready to race!
Just to be sure, this isn't also linked to having something plugged into your cigarette lighter such as a phone charger? That's when I get static. Real annoying.

Man... I plugged/moved my dash cam into the rear cigarette lighter and got static. I thought coincidence and back up front, got static again... Maybe it is linked because it occurred directly after putting it in, except even with it out now I get static.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Man... I plugged/moved my dash cam into the rear cigarette lighter and got static. I thought coincidence and back up front, got static again... Maybe it is linked because it occurred directly after putting it in, except even with it out now I get static.

Hmmm, even with it out? That's something else then. Mine only occurs when I plug anything in it. As soon as I unplug the static is gone. These cars are crazy finicky sometimes. The things you wouldn't expect to cause an issue end up doing and you're like, what..?

JustinT

Ready to race!
Hmmm, even with it out? That's something else then. Mine only occurs when I plug anything in it. As soon as I unplug the static is gone. These cars are crazy finicky sometimes. The things you wouldn't expect to cause an issue end up doing and you're like, what..?

I’m gonna take it out completely right when I go for a drive today, was about to install a complete new sound system... Thanks man!

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I’m gonna take it out completely right when I go for a drive today, was about to install a complete new sound system... Thanks man!

Cool let me know if that is what is doing it. There is some info in the electronics thread regarding this issue when I first posted it. I never got around to fixing it. :bellyroll:

JustinT

Ready to race!
Cool let me know if that is what is doing it. There is some info in the electronics thread regarding this issue when I first posted it. I never got around to fixing it. :bellyroll:

Thanks for the forum link, it was the cigarette lighter and dash cam causing the problem. Seems like an easy fix, I’ll probably get around to fixing it sooner or later. Sucks that it causes a problem so simple, used to put the dash cam/charger in all the time with no problem.