GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Installing my Coilovers HELP with questions.

KaiSTrikes_MKVI

Ready to race!
I've google/searched for the information and I can even secure basic
tools needed for the job...
There is one part ... The Strut Tower ... which is underneath the RainTray..
The picture which I saw on vortex shows him bending the raintray back to expose the Strut Tower ...
Can the RainTray be removed ? will bening back the raintray BREAK the raintray itself .. ?

Comments plz :thumbup:

lowerthanzimmy

Go Kart Champion
that would require the wipers to be removed, thats extra work that would slow you down.

this.

to much work when you can get a small ratchet back there to get the bolt

zee

Go Kart Champion
I've bent mine quite a few times when I was adjusting my front camber at home. Straightens back each time.

pyro h4cker1

Ready to race!
It's malleable plastic, just make sure you don't he man it and you'll be fine. If you're worried then use a smaller socket so you don't have to raise it as high. I've done over 50+ installs and only had one break on me, but it was an 06 and was really brittle.

whalesalad

Ready to race!
Listen, if there is one thing I learned while installing/removing/installing/removing my coilovers about 3 times, replacing top mount bearings, stripping the top of my passenger coilover, etc... (endless issues due to me rushing through the install myself and not being patient) it's that I learned to SLOW DOWN and do things 100% correct from the get go, especially if you're new to it.

That being said, you will not hurt anything by bending back the rain tray. I do it all the time. It wont break and you'll be able to feel how far you can push it without causing damage.

I don't think its a pain in the ass though to remove the wipers. Mark their current position on the window with masking tape, take the nuts off the wiper, bend the portion of the wiper connected to the bolt down so that it's 90º (exactly perpendicular) to the bolt (right now it's at a slight angle) which will unlock the wiper and make it removable. Too many people (luckily not myself) try and pry their wipers off without doing this and break through the rain tray.

KaiSTrikes_MKVI

Ready to race!
Today I learned something new .. tried to install the coils and FAILED because
we did not have the " Strut Spreader Bit " ... epic fail .. and to take the cake ..
after everything was put back together my coworkers hand slipped and my rim took
a hit to the flood (looks like Rock chips )...
Trial and Error is always FUN .. will try again once I get the Spreader Bit in the mail.