GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

To turn off or not to turn off..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerrBear

Ready to race!
I've always gotten different answers so I just wanted to see what everyone else is doing. When you're at a long line drive thru or outside your friend's house waiting for them to come out, do you turn your car off or just leave the engine running? I ask this because some articles have said if you expect to idle for more than 20 seconds turn your car off but wouldn't that be a bad idea since I see a lot of people saying "making short trips is bad for our cars" but if you leave the car on it technically doesn't make it a short trip? (not sure if that made sense to everyone but made sense in my mind)

TRUboost

Go Kart Champion
Leave it on, the starting process uses a good bit of fuel while idling using very little.

If it was more than like 5 min I would probably shut it down.

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
Let it idle, when you start it up again it pulls more juice from the batteries and needs more gas. Plus starting and stopping the car is a hassle also its not a hybrid lol.

mlatner

Passed Driver's Ed
It's also hard on the starter to keep starting it. I haven't seen prices and don't know if you're handy with a wrench, but I'm sure it can be pricey.

SmokeyGTI

Ready to race!
I'd rather burn the minuscule amount of fuel you use waiting for your girlfriend to find her earrings while you wait outside than lessen the life of my starter by just that much.

Much the same as I just use the brakes to slow down the car and not downshift using the engine. Brake pads are cheaper than a new clutch..

Sent from my Sprint iPhone using Tapatalk

Niebeendend

Ready to race!
I hate to go against the advice of the rest of the board, but you really should consider turning the car off if you are going to be idling for more than one minute or so.

-The amount of fuel used to start the car is extremely small with fuel injection
-Idling contributes extra CO2 and other pollution to the environment
-Idling wastes gas

Analyses I have read indicate that your gas savings will outweigh the maintenance costs of the extra wear and tear on your starter and battery.

Here's an OK article on the subject:
http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...08/05/is_an_idle_car_the_devils_workshop.html

booey1979

Go Kart Champion
I've always gotten different answers so I just wanted to see what everyone else is doing. When you're at a long line drive thru or outside your friend's house waiting for them to come out, do you turn your car off or just leave the engine running? I ask this because some articles have said if you expect to idle for more than 20 seconds turn your car off but wouldn't that be a bad idea since I see a lot of people saying "making short trips is bad for our cars" but if you leave the car on it technically doesn't make it a short trip? (not sure if that made sense to everyone but made sense in my mind)

I turn mine off if its longer than 1 min. There's certain lights in la that are super long, as well as the In&Out drive through that take a while.

I've practice this with my Z (have had it for 7 yrs with 128k miles. It's still on the same starter. I believe it won't mean anything much turning the car on and off for certain long stops. And I'm handy with a wrench so it's not a big deal for me the change it when the time comes.

infanterene

Passed Driver's Ed
Some of the new BMWs turn themselves off at stop lights and when idling. It improves city mpg about 15-20 percent. I have verified it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.