GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dafuture's Slow(ish) Build Thread

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
deep.mit: I know exactly what you mean. There are so many things I'm after right now, it's tough to keep myself under control. Tune, wheels, front sway, WALK...

You should buy my downpipe, a clutch, and go nuts! :thumbup:

2012TP, trust me, k04 has crossed my mind many times. HPA is having a great deal on them now, but I just can't afford to lay out $4k in upgrades right now haha. Some day...

deep.mit

Go Kart Champion
deep.mit: I know exactly what you mean. There are so many things I'm after right now, it's tough to keep myself under control. Tune, wheels, front sway, WALK...

You should buy my downpipe, a clutch, and go nuts! :thumbup:

2012TP, trust me, k04 has crossed my mind many times. HPA is having a great deal on them now, but I just can't afford to lay out $4k in upgrades right now haha. Some day...

Haha, let me take a few more to think about it. Black Friday is coming ;)

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
So I finally grabbed a couple pictures, as promised. I really need a better camera.

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
Spent a little bit of time under the car this weekend. Unfortunately, I only managed to get the rear sway bar (mostly) on. The triple square sockets are apparently not available at any store within a ~20 mile radius of me, which made things much more difficult. My friend and I did finally manage to get the bar on, but the first test drive resulted in several clunks. I thought it was my endlinks being lose, but it turns out that the supplied H&R bracket bushings didn't line up correctly, leading a bolt on either side to have backed themselves out and cause the aforementioned clunks. I do still have the OEM brackets, so those will be swapped in later tonight.

I'll probably find a night this week to do the Unibrace UB and HPA 75a puck as well. I'm thinking I'll get my suspension and chassis sorted out for Saturday. Pending a reply from Frank, it looks like I'll be heading out to KMD in NJ to finally, finally, go Stage 1. Assuming the car is sorted out, A celebratory run around Bear Mountain will hopefully be in the cards...

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
Got the sway bar sorted out last night (I think). The car is definitely much flatter and more stable through turns. Definitely way more confident about pushing it then I was with everything stock. The only thing I'mm curious about is the degradation of ride quality and noise. I know that I essentially just connected the two wheels, so there's obviously going to be more a reaction from the rear end, but on my test drive last night, it really sounded like it was bouncing around at the back. I'm definitely going to take a closer look when I can and make sure everything is setup correctly.

Now onto the bigger issue - after 4 years in a MK6, I'm finally getting tuned! At the moment, I'm between APR and Revo. I personally think APR's new files would be great (if they ever bring them out), but I got the 25% off coupon from Revo, so getting tuned with them would be a lot less than APR. Both of these are quotes from actual shops.

Revo - Stage 1, SPS, R8 coils, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, everything installed, and tax = $760.50

APR - Stage 1, R8 coils, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, tax = $885.90

So for ~$125, is it worth it to go with APR?

Last edited:

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
The only thing I'mm curious about is the degradation of ride quality and noise. I know that I essentially just connected the two wheels, so there's obviously going to be more a reaction from the rear end, but on my test drive last night, it really sounded like it was bouncing around at the back. I'm definitely going to take a closer look when I can and make sure everything is setup correctly.

There shouldn't be any noise or bouncing. I used an OD amount of grease on the teflon bushings to prevent any noise. As for the bounce, did you tighten the endlinks and bushing brackets when the car was settled on even ground?

If you are tightening the endlinks and bushing brackets when the rear of the car is lifted, the weight is shifted towards the front of the car and the suspension in the rear is not settled. When you drive the car off the ramps, the rear of the car settles but since the RSB was tighten without that extra weight over the rear, the RSB acts like a spring. That's probably what is causing your bounce.

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
There shouldn't be any noise or bouncing. I used an OD amount of grease on the teflon bushings to prevent any noise. As for the bounce, did you tighten the endlinks and bushing brackets when the car was settled on even ground?

If you are tightening the endlinks and bushing brackets when the rear of the car is lifted, the weight is shifted towards the front of the car and the suspension in the rear is not settled. When you drive the car off the ramps, the rear of the car settles but since the RSB was tighten without that extra weight over the rear, the RSB acts like a spring. That's probably what is causing your bounce.

That makes sense. I only tightened the bar on the ramps, but I didn't re-tighten on the ground. I'll have to do that later tonight. Thanks haha

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
Thanks guys haha. I'm definitely hoping the clutch will hold, especially since I don't beat on the car. As for my tires, the stock Pirellis will hopefully be burned at the stake and rolled off a cliff, to then be replaced by Pilot Super Sports.

Seriously. Going up a small hill in the rain this morning, 3k RPM in 2nd gear got me wheelspin and traction control warnings. The Pirellis suck.

deep.mit

Go Kart Champion
Thanks guys haha. I'm definitely hoping the clutch will hold, especially since I don't beat on the car. As for my tires, the stock Pirellis will hopefully be burned at the stake and rolled off a cliff, to then be replaced by Pilot Super Sports.

Seriously. Going up a small hill in the rain this morning, 3k RPM in 2nd gear got me wheelspin and traction control warnings. The Pirellis suck.

They do big time! and the PSSs are that much better :)

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
I honestly can't wait for that. Even my Blizzak WS-70s are better for performance driving lol