GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dafuture's Slow(ish) Build Thread

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
The Pirelli's will be bald in no time flat, and you'll spin your snow tires effortlessly. Stage 1 is a low end torque monster, it really transforms this car. You'll love it. Have fun!

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
The Pirelli's will be bald in no time flat, and you'll spin your snow tires effortlessly. Stage 1 is a low end torque monster, it really transforms this car. You'll love it. Have fun!

I can't wait haha :thumbup:

Now just imagine if I ever make it to K04...

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
I can't wait haha :thumbup:

Now just imagine if I ever make it to K04...

You'll get there. Its fun to experience each stage of tuning (at least I thought it was). Makes you appreciate the differences of each. Who knows, maybe you'll decide that Stage 1 or 2 is enough. K04 is fast but its different, the powerband is a bit more mid and top end.

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
You'll get there. Its fun to experience each stage of tuning (at least I thought it was). Makes you appreciate the differences of each. Who knows, maybe you'll decide that Stage 1 or 2 is enough. K04 is fast but its different, the powerband is a bit more mid and top end.

Yeah I know what you mean. I was planning on working my way through the stages regardless, but my thinking is along the lines of if I get a downpipe, and inevitably I end up with a new clutch, why not just save a little more and take that next step?

Last edited:

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
Taking the car in to be serviced tomorrow. 24AX update will be performed along with replacing the water pum. I asked the dealer if I could opt out of the water pump and just have them inspect it for issues, but the advisor insisted that installing a new waterpump was mandated by VW.

zrickety

The Fixer
I think Stage 1 is the sweet spot, with a good intake, pipes and a catback. Spend the rest of the money on bushings and lightweight wheels.
Sucks that they are replacing a working pump, I just hope they do a good job for you.

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
I think Stage 1 is the sweet spot, with a good intake, pipes and a catback. Spend the rest of the money on bushings and lightweight wheels.
Sucks that they are replacing a working pump, I just hope they do a good job for you.

After the tune I'm probably going to hold off on any other mods until the Spring/Summer. I'd love to do an intake, bushings, front sway, lighter wheels, etc., but it adds up quick haha.

I am a little annoyed about them replacing the pump. I'm going to see if I can talk them out of doing that. I may try the "I'm in a rush and don't have time to lose my car for the whole day" excuse and see if they'll let it slide. Platinum VW is a PITA. :thumbdown:

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
After much waiting and anticipation, I finally got my car tuned this Friday! I spent quite a bit of time studying each tuner and what they offered before making my decision. Each one has their merits and demerits, but essentially I eliminated Eurodyne, Unitronic, and GIAC simply because they were more expensive (and I probably wouldn't have taken advantage of Maestro 7, so I didn't think it was worth the extra money). This left me with APR and Revo. I definitely liked the potential of APR's (supposedly) upcoming updated files, but I was very disappointed in the response I got from them (it took 5 days for Arin to get back to me on a few questions I had).

On the other hand, the guys at Revo were pretty responsive and were definitely helpful in answering any questions I had. On top of it, their 25% off sale put a Stage 1 tune at $400 (with tax), which undercuts the cheapest APR tune I could find ($675 without taxes if I paid in cash) by a significant amount. Even when I add in the SPS for $170, I'm still well below APR's pricing.

As for the tune... it's amazing. I know tons of other people have written their reactions to Stage 1 over the years, but I've never experienced it myself until now. There's tons of power everywhere in the rev range and the car is deceptively quick. Triple digit speeds come up out of nowhere, even at half throttle. The best way I can describe it is smooth speed: the car doesn't toss you back in your seat, but just pulls away from everything else so effortlessly you don't even notice it happening. So far I've probably only driven ~50 miles with it, and already I can see a huge difference. I can't wait to see how it feels when the ECU fully adapts to the new software.

The only downside so far is on the way home tonight I got an EPC light, misfires, and the car went into limp mode. When I turned off the car and started it again it ran fine with no code, so I was at least able to get it home. My general assumption is I blew a coil pack, something I had already prepared for by preordering R8 coils and spark plugs from HS Tuning. However, I did have the EPC light come on for a minute randomly the other day before I was tuned (it disappeared after a minute or so), so I will probably run a Vagcom scan to be sure. Just waiting on a friend of mine to return the cable (of course when I need it, it's not around haha), so until then I'll probably just take it easy and make sure I stay under stock boost levels.

Anyway, I apologize for the crappy pics. Watching through the window was like waiting for a baby being born lol. The shop itself was awesome though (Lynmor Motorsports). Aside from everyone being pretty nice, they had some awesome stuff around that they were working on. Just from what I could see, there were two old 911s (the 66 that's in the picture and a '68), a 356, a 996 race car, a 993, and loads of other stuff that I can't recall off the top of my head. I would definitely recommend them to anyone who has a Porsche or wants their Revo tune done.

deep.mit

Go Kart Champion
After much waiting and anticipation, I finally got my car tuned this Friday! I spent quite a bit of time studying each tuner and what they offered before making my decision. Each one has their merits and demerits, but essentially I eliminated Eurodyne, Unitronic, and GIAC simply because they were more expensive (and I probably wouldn't have taken advantage of Maestro 7, so I didn't think it was worth the extra money). This left me with APR and Revo. I definitely liked the potential of APR's (supposedly) upcoming updated files, but I was very disappointed in the response I got from them (it took 5 days for Arin to get back to me on a few questions I had).

On the other hand, the guys at Revo were pretty responsive and were definitely helpful in answering any questions I had. On top of it, their 25% off sale put a Stage 1 tune at $400 (with tax), which undercuts the cheapest APR tune I could find ($675 without taxes if I paid in cash) by a significant amount. Even when I add in the SPS for $170, I'm still well below APR's pricing.

As for the tune... it's amazing. I know tons of other people have written their reactions to Stage 1 over the years, but I've never experienced it myself until now. There's tons of power everywhere in the rev range and the car is deceptively quick. Triple digit speeds come up out of nowhere, even at half throttle. The best way I can describe it is smooth speed: the car doesn't toss you back in your seat, but just pulls away from everything else so effortlessly you don't even notice it happening. So far I've probably only driven ~50 miles with it, and already I can see a huge difference. I can't wait to see how it feels when the ECU fully adapts to the new software.

The only downside so far is on the way home tonight I got an EPC light, misfires, and the car went into limp mode. When I turned off the car and started it again it ran fine with no code, so I was at least able to get it home. My general assumption is I blew a coil pack, something I had already prepared for by preordering R8 coils and spark plugs from HS Tuning. However, I did have the EPC light come on for a minute randomly the other day before I was tuned (it disappeared after a minute or so), so I will probably run a Vagcom scan to be sure. Just waiting on a friend of mine to return the cable (of course when I need it, it's not around haha), so until then I'll probably just take it easy and make sure I stay under stock boost levels.

Anyway, I apologize for the crappy pics. Watching through the window was like waiting for a baby being born lol. The shop itself was awesome though (Lynmor Motorsports). Aside from everyone being pretty nice, they had some awesome stuff around that they were working on. Just from what I could see, there were two old 911s (the 66 that's in the picture and a '68), a 356, a 996 race car, a 993, and loads of other stuff that I can't recall off the top of my head. I would definitely recommend them to anyone who has a Porsche or wants their Revo tune done.

Congrats on the tune! Enjoy and drive safe :thumbsup:

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
Got a chance to throw in my R8 coils and NGK BRK7EIX spark plugs today. The car definitely runs much smoother and I was able to push it without worrying about misfires. Best I've seen so far is 21psi on a run. Everything feels great! Can't wait to put the Unibrace and HPA puck in as well. It should really tighten up the whole car.

I've been tossing around the idea of getting a front sway bar as well. So far the rear bar makes everything feel much more planted around turns with a drastic reduction in body roll, but I think the front bar would really help with turn in and keep the car even flatter through turns. The only thing that makes me hesitate is dropping the front subframe for install.

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
Told you man, Revo all day lol

sauceman101

Ready to race!
congrats on the tune, you're going to love that HPA puck once that's in. That after a tune, lightweight wheels with good rubber, rear sway bar, is the next most effective, total dynamic changing thing you can do to the MK6 platform