GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My brother is getting a prius. Need help!

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
If you care about your brother just say no to a used second gen MINI. They really are fun cars until it comes time to pay for all the repairs it will need.

He wants a Prius, let him get it.
If he wants some extra uuumpph when on e mode, he could also look into a Volt...that thing has some torque, and so does the 500e, but rear passengers are far worse with the Fiat.
If he doesn't commute yuge miles a day and charging is not an issue in his area, 500e lease is a steal.

I commute 13k miles a year. 3/5 days a week I have to drive my daughter to daycare in a child seat, so I need plenty of space in the rear seat. The Honda Fit, which was our old car, was too small to fit me 6'3" + rear facing child seat.

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
Haha this thread is pure gold. I do truly hate prius drivers every clog on the freeway or city street you can bet 90% of the time it's a prius driver either going the same speed as the slow lane or trying to parallel park. Also the untold joke here is that my brothers car was hit by a prius driver which has thusly prompted him to ditch that car and buy a commuter.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

pcfoo

Passed Driver's Ed
I commute 13k miles a year. 3/5 days a week I have to drive my daughter to daycare in a child seat, so I need plenty of space in the rear seat. The Honda Fit, which was our old car, was too small to fit me 6'3" + rear facing child seat.

Funny to say that: I was on the fence of leasing a 500e right before I got my current GTI, but one of the major drawbacks was the fact that there was no way to put a rear-facing child seat - with the kid strapped in it... :D

With current gas prices, a new Prius will be hard pressed to break even its higher acquisition cost over a similarly speced Corolla. Even worse for the Volt, although Chevy does have a few very aggressive leasing offers that probably cover your 13K/yr commute pattern. Similarly with the 500e - but kids don't really fit in the back of it before front facing seats come into play.

The straight gas commuters that are Prius sized, e.g. a Corolla, Civic etc, are usually cheaper and already do ~40 MPG.
The Prius will get you what? ~50 when new? Lets say 50 MPG.

For 13,000 miles / year that is: 13,000 M / 50 MPG = 260 gallons of fuel.
With the straight IC 40MPG car would be : 13,000 M / 40 MPG = 325 gallons of fuel = 65 gallons more per year which @ $3/gal = $195 extra fuel running costs / year. A 35MPG car would cost you ~$335/year more, a 30MPG ~$520

If you were to buy a used 40MPG IC car @ $2,000 less than a used Prius with same miles, you will need more than 10 years at current fuel prices to break even based on fuel running costs. A 35MPG car ~ 6yr to break even...you get the picture: pre-paying $2,000 or so to save fuel in the long run, is just not a sufficient excuse before your start opting for really inefficient cars, which none of the comparable to a Prius IC 4dr passenger cars built over the last 10yr is.

Now, there can be a wild-card at play in your case: e.g. you might need a HOV/Car Pool lane sticker that you get with a specific Prius and most Volt models, at least in States like CA. Many ppl that can afford much more expensive cars actually opt for "sticker" cars and weigh those 45-1hr saved in commute time a day as much as gold. Others opt to pay more than they hoped for to get in a Tesla to get access to that sticker.

Insurance might also be more expensive on the hybrid, based on the higher original cost / higher replacement cost, although insurance models might place a Civic in a "more prone to be involved in accidents" class than a Prius or Volt which might turn the tables on you...an online quote (or two, or three) will answer that.

Maintenance on a hybrid might also be more complicated, but this is highly situational and anecdotal: you might get a golden hybrid with zero issues vs. a lemon IC car that will punish you.

Last edited:
Funny to say that: I was on the fence of leasing a 500e right before I got my current GTI, but one of the major drawbacks was the fact that there was no way to put a rear-facing child seat - with the kid strapped in it... :D

With current gas prices, a new Prius will be hard pressed to break even its higher acquisition cost over a similarly speced Corolla. Even worse for the Volt, although Chevy does have a few very aggressive leasing offers that probably cover your 13K/yr commute pattern. Similarly with the 500e - but kids don't really fit in the back of it before front facing seats come into play.

The straight gas commuters that are Prius sized, e.g. a Corolla, Civic etc, are usually cheaper and already do ~40 MPG.
The Prius will get you what? ~50 when new? Lets say 50 MPG.

For 13,000 miles / year that is: 13,000 M / 50 MPG = 260 gallons of fuel.
With the straight IC 40MPG car would be : 13,000 M / 40 MPG = 325 gallons of fuel = 65 gallons more per year which @ $3/gal = $195 extra fuel running costs / year. A 35MPG car would cost you ~$335/year more, a 30MPG ~$520

If you were to buy a used 40MPG IC car @ $2,000 less than a used Prius with same miles, you will need more than 10 years at current fuel prices to break even based on fuel running costs. A 35MPG car ~ 6yr to break even...you get the picture: pre-paying $2,000 or so to save fuel in the long run, is just not a sufficient excuse before your start opting for really inefficient cars, which none of the comparable to a Prius IC 4dr passenger cars built over the last 10yr is.

Now, there can be a wild-card at play in your case: e.g. you might need a HOV/Car Pool lane sticker that you get with a specific Prius and most Volt models, at least in States like CA. Many ppl that can afford much more expensive cars actually opt for "sticker" cars and weigh those 45-1hr saved in commute time a day as much as gold. Others opt to pay more than they hoped for to get in a Tesla to get access to that sticker.

Insurance might also be more expensive on the hybrid, based on the higher original cost / higher replacement cost, although insurance models might place a Civic in a "more prone to be involved in accidents" class than a Prius or Volt which might turn the tables on you...an online quote (or two, or three) will answer that.

Maintenance on a hybrid might also be more complicated, but this is highly situational and anecdotal: you might get a golden hybrid with zero issues vs. a lemon IC car that will punish you.

Good info. There are no HOV lanes on my commute.

I think any car I consider would have to be at 40mpg or better. And my budget is 7000, not 10k. Also, I found a steal of a deal on a used 05 prius with only 67k miles for $6500. If that deal doesn't work out, then i'll be looking at other options. Reliability and cost of maintenance is huge for me too.

pcfoo

Passed Driver's Ed
Good info. There are no HOV lanes on my commute.

I think any car I consider would have to be at 40mpg or better. And my budget is 7000, not 10k. Also, I found a steal of a deal on a used 05 prius with only 67k miles for $6500. If that deal doesn't work out, then i'll be looking at other options. Reliability and cost of maintenance is huge for me too.

You should spend more time in a Prius forum then, trying to find honest members that share their reliability issues an not just stroking their confirmation bias, instead of a Golf biased forum.

Let your brother do his thing, you look after what YOU want to do =)

Boscogn

Go Kart Champion
You should spend more time in a Prius forum then, trying to find honest members that share their reliability issues an not just stroking their confirmation bias, instead of a Golf biased forum.

Let your brother do his thing, you look after what YOU want to do =)
I found the prius forum.
https://www.facebook.com/LeftLanePrius/

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

pcfoo

Passed Driver's Ed
Will be fun next Thanksgiving...cause he aint gonna talk to you before it... :23:

uglybastard

Autocross Champion

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
How long do those batterys last before they shit out on you?

akropicMR

I drove a Prius back in late 2010 and while it wasn't a terrible car, the only thing that really made it worthwhile was the fact that gas was $4 plus for 87 octane at the time in my area.

The car did break down on me with a power inverter issue, then later another issue involving one of the electric motors. Each required it to be at the dealer for a week plus for repairs. Out of warranty, one of the visits would have been over $3.5k worth in repairs. It was nothing me or my regular mechanic could service.

Is he trying to hook up with a tree hugger chick?

EDIT: My wife chimed in as I was writing this. She HATES Prius' and she said that we wouldn't be married right now if I had the car when I met her. I actually traded it in two weeks before I asked her out. :lol: