GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My First Build: Candy White GTI

Jarred767

Ready to race!
Finally pulled the trigger a couple weeks ago and got a used set of Depo tails from a member on here and couldn't be happier. Install was breeze and they honestly make the back end look soooo much better.

Probably my favorite mod yet

A few more things in the works still too:thumbsup:

Jarred767

Ready to race!
Finally got around to getting the windows tinted (20% ceramic all the way around) and I absolutely love it! Really liking the way things are coming along so far on it.

Also got the fuel filter switched out (pretty sure it was still original) as I continue to get things up to par maintenance wise. :thumbsup:

Jarred767

Ready to race!
Been a while since I've added anything to this thread. Winter kinda sucks here on the car front and the its almost always filthy so lost a little motivation, plus family needs and saving up the little funds I had for a tune, so other stuff got put off, but a few little things got added, so figured I'd update.

Took the side markers out and color matched them - so much cleaner and better.

Got the GTI door sills to match the levers and put on all four door jambs:

I had a broken mirror housing (just the bottom half) when I bought the car, so I upgraded both sides to the OPD sequential lights with the puddle lights (although I haven't wired up the puddle lights yet, didn't want to take the door apart right now):

A little video of them on: https://www.instagram.com/p/BgIhFc-FYK-/?taken-by=dynamicdetailingbend

A lot of fun stuff in the works though, and bigger things, so looking forward to the next few months!

KDOG1

Ready to race!
Where did you get the lower housing ? Cost? If u don't mind me asking, I had some 16yr old clip my mirror and broke my light on the inside part and outside, had sht insurance so Ibarely go any $ from it. . Was looking on eBay but not sure if the quality/fit would be there

Jarred767

Ready to race!
Where did you get the lower housing ? Cost? If u don't mind me asking, I had some 16yr old clip my mirror and broke my light on the inside part and outside, had sht insurance so Ibarely go any $ from it. . Was looking on eBay but not sure if the quality/fit would be there

Drivers side or passenger. If it's drivers, I've got a perfectly good OEM one that I'll never use and could give you a great deal. If passenger, no luck, as mine was broken too.

If you want the sequential blinkers with the puddle lights though, I got them from One Perfect Dose here: http://opdparts.com/index.php/volkswagen/golf/mk6/body.html There's clear or smoke; $50 for the pair seemed good to me and install was pretty easy (although I haven't wired up the puddle lights yet). FYI, teenage drivers suck.

kerp

Ready to race!
Looks good man! Like those mirror signals, would swoop them if I wasn't worried about my headlight sequential turn signals syncing up. By the way, are those Rokblokz stamped with their logo?

Jarred767

Ready to race!
Looks good man! Like those mirror signals, would swoop them if I wasn't worried about my headlight sequential turn signals syncing up. By the way, are those Rokblokz stamped with their logo?

Thanks man! I know it's a slow process as funds are limited, but it's fun and I plan to keep it for quite a while, so things will improve in time. The Rokblokz are their new version where they're stamped, so you don't have an option to not have the logo. Since it's just black though, its not very noticeable at all.

kerp

Ready to race!
Thanks man! I know it's a slow process as funds are limited, but it's fun and I plan to keep it for quite a while, so things will improve in time. The Rokblokz are their new version where they're stamped, so you don't have an option to not have the logo. Since it's just black though, its not very noticeable at all.

I'm in the same boat, been modding slowly but surely since I got mine 3-4 years ago. Also makes you appreciate each mod and the process itself. Getting second-hand items cuts down costs tremendously.l

Okay cool, I've been sitting on an old style pair of the short model and have yet to install them. Was surprised they changed the ability to leave the logo off. The black blends in well though. The flaps actually look a lot better than I expected once installed. I need mine since I work on a mountain, tons of rocks always getting kicked up. Did you remove the rear wheels for install?

Last edited:

Jarred767

Ready to race!
I'm in the same boat, been modding slowly but surely since I got mine 3-4 years ago. Also makes you appreciate each mod and the process itself. Getting second-hand items cuts down costs tremendously.l

Okay cool, I've been sitting on an old style pair of the short model and have yet to install them. Was surprised they changed the ability to leave the logo off. The black blends in well though. The flaps actually look a lot better than I expected once installed. I need mine since I work on a mountain, tons of rocks always getting kicked up. Did you remove the rear wheels for install?

Totally agree about appreciating each mod more when it’s slower, and also about getting lightly used stuff. I actually just picked up a Cobb AP with their BigSF intake for 600 with less than 5000 mikes on it from a fellow member. Super stoked to get it installed.

I wasn’t a huge fan of the flaps originally, but they’ve grown on me, and here in Oregon they use crushed lava rocks on the roads when it snows, so they are very helpful. Over time I’ve begun to like them more and more too. I didn’t take the rear wheels off, but probably could have done it much faster if i had.

kerp

Ready to race!
Totally agree about appreciating each mod more when it’s slower, and also about getting lightly used stuff. I actually just picked up a Cobb AP with their BigSF intake for 600 with less than 5000 mikes on it from a fellow member. Super stoked to get it installed.

I wasn’t a huge fan of the flaps originally, but they’ve grown on me, and here in Oregon they use crushed lava rocks on the roads when it snows, so they are very helpful. Over time I’ve begun to like them more and more too. I didn’t take the rear wheels off, but probably could have done it much faster if i had.

Dude I saw that post, such a steal! Even shipped too. You going to go with an e-tuner eventually? I know a lot of guys are jumping ship from APR to Stratified.

The OEM flaps came with my car, but I'm concerned about the rusting issue some members have reported. Apparently abrasives get caught in the lip and erode the paint on the fender. Damn that's brutal...and I thought salt was bad. Well maybe I'll throw mine on soon then, thought you had to remove the wheels for some reason.

Quick question since you're a detailer. Did you hose your engine bay down? I've read conflicting information on covering parts before doing so. Can I use something like diluted Meguiar's degreaser?

Jarred767

Ready to race!
Dude I saw that post, such a steal! Even shipped too. You going to go with an e-tuner eventually? I know a lot of guys are jumping ship from APR to Stratified.

The OEM flaps came with my car, but I'm concerned about the rusting issue some members have reported. Apparently abrasives get caught in the lip and erode the paint on the fender. Damn that's brutal...and I thought salt was bad. Well maybe I'll throw mine on soon then, thought you had to remove the wheels for some reason.

Quick question since you're a detailer. Did you hose your engine bay down? I've read conflicting information on covering parts before doing so. Can I use something like diluted Meguiar's degreaser?
I can’t wait for the tune/intake although i told myself that I had to do the timing chain tensioner update first, so gotta get it in a shop for that ASAP. I’ll probably do a custom stratified tune once I get a few more mods. I’ll just stick with OTS Cobb ones for now.

On the engine, i spray them down all the time just a gentle rinse though, no pressure washer. Just make sure it’s fully cool and the battery, alternator, and coil packs are covered. I dry it right away wirh compressed air (or shopvac on reverse). I use all Shine Supply stuff, but I used to use meguiars and their degreaser is perfect for it. I think I’d dilute 7:1 or 4:1 (just avoid getting it on and drying on your fenders or front grill, it has potential to stain). Good luck with it!

kerp

Ready to race!
I can’t wait for the tune/intake although i told myself that I had to do the timing chain tensioner update first, so gotta get it in a shop for that ASAP. I’ll probably do a custom stratified tune once I get a few more mods. I’ll just stick with OTS Cobb ones for now.

On the engine, i spray them down all the time just a gentle rinse though, no pressure washer. Just make sure it’s fully cool and the battery, alternator, and coil packs are covered. I dry it right away wirh compressed air (or shopvac on reverse). I use all Shine Supply stuff, but I used to use meguiars and their degreaser is perfect for it. I think I’d dilute 7:1 or 4:1 (just avoid getting it on and drying on your fenders or front grill, it has potential to stain). Good luck with it!

Smart man, get it done so you can have some peace of mind.

Awesome really appreciate the information! Going to give it a go next week.

Jarred767

Ready to race!
Got my set of new Alzor wheels (couldn't splurge on high end right now, but needed a dedicated summer wheel) and got them put on my summer tires (kept the Detroits with the winters so I can change them out myself now) and absolutely love the look and fitment (18x8x35et). I was debating between et45 and et35 and very happy that I went with 35. Definitely have that "new love" for the car again.

I've also been slowly pecking away and giving it a full paint correction and filling any chips with some Dr Colorchip as I prep it to get a ceramic coating hopefully some time later this spring.

Jarred767

Ready to race!
Traded some detailing with a local audio shop and got a pretty sweet head unit upgrade installed. Went with the Alpine ilx-107 Mech-less receiver with wireless Apple CarPlay unit with an idatalink maestro module and an EchoMaster reverse camera integrated into it. They also threw in a USB port in the change tray. I absolutely love it so far. Looks clean, runs smooth, and no issues. Wireless CarPlay is awesome too!

Before and After:

During install:

Reverse Cam:

Some extra gauges I can play with:

Clean finish:

Jarred767

Ready to race!
The progression continues, picked up a sweet deal from a fellow member for a Cobb AP with a Cobb intake. Flashed over the the OTS Stage 1 Cobb tune a couple weeks ago, and wow, definitely felt like the tune woke the car up quite a bit.

Then last weekend I finally I had the time to get the Cobb intake installed

Before:

During:

After:

reflashed to Stage 1+ and I love it. I told myself that I wouldn't go past Stage 1+ as I don't NEED it, but I can see how this can get addicting. I love working on the car and love the upgrades, so its like a win/win situation (aside from my wallet that is).

It does sound like there might be a slight air leak somewhere or a high pitched whistle that is caused by the intake, so after some research, it seems like a GFB DV+ may be next in line on the mod list. Either way, loving this car more and more every day.