GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK6 R Whine / High Frequency Noise

R^2

Ready to race!
MK 6. R
-standard drivetrain
-no mods.
-49K miles. Routine/regular MX complied with.
-Last oil change was Feb 2018.

Living its hardest year, currently away at USAF pilot training. I drive it 3-5 minutes each way to and from my class every day, so unfortunately it isn't getting driven as much (miles), and frequent short drives (I take the long way to get the engine temp to nominal prior to shut down - no WOT while cold).

Yesterday, I drove to Tuscaloosa for some tail gating as one does this time of year. Good opportunity to get the car some miles, go out and play.

Heres the issue: and it's intermittent, at least for now.

A high frequency/ high pitch whine (only the most subtle oscillation - fairly constant pitch)

It starts between 40-45MPH - to 70-75, once it starts, it sticks arround until I'm below 30-35MPH, once it goes away, it may or may not come back as I accelerate back up to highway speed.

Does no vary with engine RPM, Pitch remains constant with speed mostly (lowers slightly as I approach the speed at which it will silence).

A/C on/off, hot/cold no difference. staying in a lower gear higher RPM, no difference. Turning right or left smoothly / aggressively no difference. rapid brake engagement no difference (unless I slow below 30-35MPH.

Hard to pin point sound location with my non bat like ears / RADAR. If I had to put a $5 on it, I would say front right or lower middle. Moving my head, opening one window at a time, I was not able to alter the sound or discern a more approximate location.

I jacked up the front, each side with the widow maker jack (seriously VW?), and pulled/pushed, turned, and looked for slop, which I did not feel or hear.

Questions:
About to hit 50K:
-Could this be the Haldex
-Diff?
-Driveshaft
-Wheel bearing

The fact this is more speed related than anything else, leads me to believe its somewhere between the output of the transmission to the tire.

Help me Obe-Wan-Golfmk6-Forums, you're my only hope.

-R^2