GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Water pump leaking at hose connection.

JLLG

https://youtu.be/IkS8LF-GMec

Recorded this video just now. In the middle of doing an intake manifold replacement and carbon cleaning. Found a coolant leak by using a leak tester from harbor freight around 15 PSI. I knew the leak was coming from near the water pump but nothing around the water pump seemed to show evidence only on the hose and bottom of the hoses. With a little persuasion or movement on the hose I got the coolant spurt out as shown in the video. I've never had one of these apart but the dealer replaced this under recall around 30,000 miles I currently have 93,000 miles. that connection seems awfully loose to me but I don't have a lot of experience with that. I remove the c clip and try to push on further but it appears to be seated fully. Any thoughts on what to do if anything? I wasn't sure of the normal operating pressure so maybe at a slightly higher pressure it would seal better. However there's definite evidence of leaking over time and I'm just slightly below the low line but I've never had the coolant low come on. Appreciate in advance any help or advice.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

JLLG

ebuuz

Go Kart Newbie
The upper hose connector doesn’t have a gasket. Just that metallic clip on the outside. The one underneath (where the thermostat is, there’s a spring inside) does. Mine seems to be leaking from there so I shall attempt replacing the o-ring and hopefully that fixes the leak since I have the BG revision and everything else looks fine. Were you able to find and fix the leak?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JLLG

The leak is definitely at that upper hose connection based on my pressure test. That being said, my plan is the drain coolant, pull hose off and inspect sealing surfaces. I am hoping to find something that can be cleaned off. Otherwise based on my research and if it's the hose, I would have to buy entire upper hose. Worst case a new water pump.

Thanks for the response. I will report back findings.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

JLLG

I finally was able to drain coolant. The upper hose does have an integral o-ring which I replaced but still slowly putting the intake manifold back on. The connection doesn't feel that much tighter than before, so not confident this is the fix. However, it shouldn't be any worse. Just seems like it should be tighter than it is.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
I have noticed the same thing when installing metal water pump. I think it's just the was they fit, I thought no way is this going to hold water. But it did..