GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stain in paint won't come out... help please!

sskamboj

Ready to race!
Hey everyone,

So as I was washing my car today I discovered a stain that doesn't want to seem to come out. It looks like someone may have spilled something on my drivers rear window that dripped down the quarter panel. I didn't really notice it till now because the car was dirty. It's not a colored stain of any kind just sort of cloudy looking if you know what I mean.

I tried using the soap in a high pressure wash plus my wash mitt but it doesn't want to seem to come off. Even when I got home I tried a microfiber with some water and that didn't do anything either.

Does anybody have recommendations on how to remove the stain? I have my first show on Saturday and I don't really want a blatantly obvious imperfection in the paint.

Here's a couple pictures of the stain if you can see it... Sorry for the crap quality its the best I could do with the lighting in my parking garage.

skyfox23

Ready to race!
More than likely gonna need the attention of a buffer? A cut and buff should correct it

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
looks like just a small spot, just get some Scratch-X 2.0 and a few microfibers. Apply scratch-x rub until it starts to disappear, repeat until happy. For $5 its worth a shot right?

Squashdaddy

Go Kart Champion
I have the EXACT type of "stain" on the hood and trunk of my carbon steel grey GTI that has been there for well over a year. I never recall seeing it when my car was new and have no idea what may have caused it. It seems suspicious that you have the same stain on the same color car as me. I swear the more I clean and polish my car the more imperfections I see. Anyway, I have tried EVERYTHING to get the stain out. Clay bar, polishers, cutting pads on my Porter Cable 7424xp and none of them have made any difference. I may take it into a detailer to see what they think or try a much more aggressive buffing compound and pad. I'm a noob when it comes to a random orbital polishers and don't want to mess anything up though by making it worse.

Last edited:

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Please don't ever take detailing problems to the dealer for the love of God and all things VW. They will screw up your paint indefinitely.

Engine troubles.. go to the dealer.
Cosmetic problems.. go ANYWHERE but the dealer.

Squashdaddy

Go Kart Champion
I said detailer, not dealer.

sskamboj

Ready to race!
thanks for the heads up Squashdaddy, I'll get some ScratchX and see if that does anything. I got so angry when I saw it wasn't coming out.

Squashdaddy

Go Kart Champion
Let me know how the Scratch-X works for you.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Scratch-X may not do much here. I would pickup Meguiars Ultimate Polish (or Compound) which is readily found in big box retailers like Target and Walmart and attack this with a fresh microfiber towel. Make sure the surface is clean before doing this.

Just spot treat it at first to see if it works. It may take some elbow grease.

Meguiars Ultimate Polish is weaker than the compound but detailing rule of thumb is to always try the weaker product first. Personally, depending on how deep it is, I would use the compound.

skyfox23

Ready to race!
Please don't ever take detailing problems to the dealer for the love of God and all things VW. They will screw up your paint indefinitely.

Engine troubles.. go to the dealer.
Cosmetic problems.. go ANYWHERE but the dealer.

+1

sskamboj

Ready to race!
Thanks for all the tips guys. For reference, scratchx got rid of about 30% of it with a lot of elbow grease. I'll go pick up the polish and go at it today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk