GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dealer scratched my bumper..

OMyGTI

I went to pick up my car from service at the dealer and I did my usual walk-around to ensure there were no new dings/scratches, and of course I found an approx. 6-inch wide scratch that goes deep into the paint (type where you can dig your finger-nails into).

I brought it to the manager's attention and right away he writes on my invoice that I can bring the car back for a repair/respray at their bodyshop.

Just looking for some opinions here..

Has anyone experienced this before and took up the dealer's offer to fix a scratch? I guess my only worry is if they respray the bumper, will the color match exact? Just wondering if it's worth the extra trouble to have them fix it. I do have the touch-up pen and could fill it in myself. :mad:

Draz

Ready to race!
Take them up on their offer. Most of the time bumpers don't match the body to begin with due to the flex agent on them. Filling in a six inch scratch that wasn't your fault is not the solution. Especially since you will still see the scratch after its filled in.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I'm just curious. Do the dealers actually do a walk around before doing service on your car to ensure your not full of sh!t? I'm not denying you what so ever. I believe you. I'm just asking in general, what's to prevent anybody from claiming the dealer put a scratch that they never did and get it resprayed for free? Just out of curiousity...

The Canuck

Ready to race!
A dealer here in Louisville does a quick walk-around every time. Whether they do that becuase they are being over protective, or they have gotten screwed in the past, I applaud it.

You could also be fortunate like me, and leave your car at a different dealership (where I purchased, and have not gone back to since) to have a couple items taken care of while on vacation, only to find out that someone went for a joyride and curbed the wheel to the point a chunk of rubber was missing from the sidewall. Then not say anything until I point it out.

So more power to the dealerships that do the walk-around.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
I'm just curious. Do the dealers actually do a walk around before doing service on your car to ensure your not full of sh!t? I'm not denying you what so ever. I believe you. I'm just asking in general, what's to prevent anybody from claiming the dealer put a scratch that they never did and get it resprayed for free? Just out of curiousity...

Mine does.

Mine also scuffed my bumper. I was pissed but figured that they'd fuck it up more trying to fix.

OMyGTI

The dealer I go to have their valet guys do a quick walk-around but I'm not really sure how much diligence goes into those checks. If it was a small scratch/scuff, I could live with it and drive away with the mentality that ish happens, but not in this case. I guess I'll have to entrust them again and see what their body shop can do. I'll try to post a picture this afternoon.

cobie56

Ready to race!
i once had that happen w/ a previous vehicle... huge gouge in the front bumper which wasn't there when i brought it in for servicing as if a heavy tool was dropped on it (and on a white car!) I calmly brought it to the attention of the svc.desk and they owned up to it being their fault and had it fixed for free, no ques asked, and they did a very good job... so... perhaps if you do similar it will work out for u. Having said all that, it is galling that techs are so careless when working on a car. good luck

MONEY SHIFT

Banned
Flex agent does not cause color change. Air pressure does. First thing I'd do is see if the scratch can be sanded and buffed out. You'd be surprised. I once buffed out a 36 grit sandpaper scratch.