GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Texans: What intercooler are you running?

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
Ok so is the S3 intercooler a waste of money or will it improve day to day driving for someone with minimal modifications (Houston heat)?

From what I hear, you'd be left wanting more unless you lived in cooler climates. Are you tuned?

GTIx

Passed Driver's Ed
Stage 1, my issue is acceleration around town when its hot. Think I will hold off and get use to my new tune before making a decision. The stage 1 has really improved things for now.

Hat tip to TheCastle for the PM assistance.

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
Stage 1, my issue is acceleration around town when its hot. Think I will hold off and get use to my new tune before making a decision. The stage 1 has really improved things for now.

Hat tip to TheCastle for the PM assistance.

I have that issue too. Heat soak gets bad with how slowly traffic moves here. I'm considering trying black coating if I upgrade my intercooler. From this video, it seems to help most when there's a lack of air movement (stop and go traffic).

wireless

Ready to race!
I'm still unsure if I want to get the Uni or the Neuspeed... I kind of want a front mount just for the look lol

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Where I live it gets to about 110 at the peak of summer. I live in an arrid climate so it is usually very dry but certains time of the summer we do get storms coming up from Baja California that create a bunch of humid days with no rain.

I have lived here most of my life and am old. I have built a number of forced induction cars and while a larger air to air intercooler can improve things it's effectiveness and ability to shed heat is directly related to the weather. What is really effective is to go larger intercooler (I run APR) along with a water meth system running 50/50 mix. My car runs very strong even when it is 110 out. With the water meth turned off and just relying on the intercooler there is a very noticeable loss of power in extreme heat which is typical. Part of the problem is the heat which causes or contributes to pre-ignition will cause the ECU to pull timing. The other problem is that the heated air is expanded and contains less oxygen per cubic foot which means you can add less fuel. With water meth you get the water that cools and through the process of evaporation can really cool the air significantly in a way that an air to air intercooler cannot. It also condenses the air and there is more oxygen per cubic foot. Along with the water you are adding 115oct methanol which helps deter pre-ignition and allows the motor to use full advance, again it is something that an air to air intercooler cannot do by itself.

Upgraded intercooler + water meth really really works for those of us in hot climates. Adding just a larger intercooler is a good thing, don't get me wrong but don't go cheap. I originally went with an S3 intercooler and it had a very mild effect. There was a big improvement with the APR unit which is considered to be a high quality unit. Go as big as you can afford. The larger intercooler definately assits the effectiveness of the Water Meth system. I see both the larger intercooler and the water meth injection system as part of the necessary tools to combat power loss in extreme heat.

dknguyenn

Ready to race!

Velociraptor Thrust

Go Kart Champion
... Go as big as you can afford. The larger intercooler definately assits the effectiveness of the Water Meth system. I see both the larger intercooler and the water meth injection system as part of the necessary tools to combat power loss in extreme heat.

Not calling you out, this is a serious question. I've always heard you can get too much intercooler, meaning too big for the power of your car. Example, running k04 and having a core rated for 600hp. If I remember right, it has to do with the intercooler; don't cite me, being too inefficient. That seeps power from the motor, or doesn't cool as effectively like a proper "fitting" intercooler would.

I always hear buy an intercooler for your HP rating, or as close to.

Discuss.

MickB6

Passed Driver's Ed
Good to know. Did you leave the stock intercooler in as well? Just went stage 2 recently and I'm seriously considering this as one of my next mods.

yes, I left the stock IC in. That way when I sell the car I don't have to re-install it.

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
Been using a Forge Twintercooler and Modshack Low profile engine bay trim for almost 2 years, works great!

Aphix

Go Kart Champion
Been using a Forge Twintercooler and Modshack Low profile engine bay trim for almost 2 years, works great!

I use Modshack's engine liner too. really like it. Plus Steve, the guy who sells it, is a really nice guy. Kinda want to buy his intake and sell mine for something new. :thumbsup:

he recommends sealing off the rain tray area with 2228 moisture sealing electrical tape. Protects the ecu from water (underweather tray). havent had any noticeable water ever get into engine bay, but.. it never rains in So Cal so only have car wash experience.