GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Revised VW parts fixed problems?

cchase__

Ready to race!
Did VW fix the PCV problem with the latest revision? Same with the timing chain tensioner and chain? how about the water pump? They've gone through many revisions. Wish there was a change log or something..

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Did VW fix the PCV problem with the latest revision? Same with the timing chain tensioner and chain? how about the water pump? They've gone through many revisions. Wish there was a change log or something..

PCV: I've heard the newest revision is pretty strong, you can get a catch can the keeps the OEM PCV but removes the connection to the manifold so it only sees vacuum, no possibility of boost pressure.

Timing: Haven't heard of anyone with the new tensioner having failure yet. The newest revision chain is supposedly revised to stretch less, don't think anyone has put enough miles on to know for sure yet though, does look beefier than the previous rev though.

Water Pump: Haven't done much research into this since i've had no issues with it. I know there is an aluminum one now which would probably be the best bet if you have to replace. Isn't too expensive either.

zrickety

The Fixer
I think it comes down to maintenance more than the revised parts. They are typically improved, but not necessarily bulletproof. For example the revised intake manifolds still go bad and water pumps still leak depending on who did the install. I think early oil changes are more important. The majority of my parts are original to 2010, including the water pump.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
...The majority of my parts are original to 2010, including the water pump.
:thumbsup: If you have no upper oil leaks to swell the water pump seal, the pump will last a long time but pay attention to the wear on the small drive belt.

cchase__

Ready to race!
Do the upper oil leaks come from the valve cover? I assume the leaks wouldn't affect the all aluminum pump.