GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Brakes: Dealer or Firestone?

TiCoyote

Ready to race!
It looks like I'm going to need new brakes pretty soon.

The dealer quoted me $500 per axle. Is this fair or high?

Should I take it to someplace like Firestone or a local mechanic instead?

Thank you.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I wouldn't go to either. Dealer will rip you off and franchise shops are usually terrible.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
just front pads or rear too? Front's are pretty easy to do... rear you need a brake reset tool however if you have the space, a friend and good tools you can handle it in a couple of hours depending on your comfort level and use the $ saved for some mods!

https://youtu.be/nMWXN1vlA2c

https://youtu.be/p37zKqSOFjo

or a local VW tuner shop..like Reflex Tuning in NH.. dunno if they're any good but I'm sure someone will chime in

Last edited:

torga

Autocross Champion
Do some research and find a good, reputable local shop in your area - will be much cheaper than a dealership. I stay away from franchise shops and prefer to give the local guys my business for the jobs I'd be in over my head. They're earnest and doing what they love.

Or, if you're reasonably mechanically inclined, do it yourself! A shop quoted my girlfriend $350 to do her front brakes. I did it for her for $150 in parts.

Last edited:

GolNat

Autocross Champion

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Please don't go to a chain place like Firestone. If you do you will be bent over butt good. Like has been said find a good independent shop.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
GolNat;2621476 Do you need OBD11 or VagCom to reset anything on the car?[/QUOTE said:
only if you have an electronic ebrake will you run into issues and I'm not 100% but pretty sure all MK6 GTI's have hand brake lever..

chock the front wheels before you lift the rear end. I usually only do one at a time...some folks put the whole ass in the air. .. take the e-brake off when you do the rear pads. Make sure to use proper jack stands and a proper jack.
don't use the widow maker of a jack the car came with or you may find yourself in other problems.

GolNat

Autocross Champion

Thanks for the link. Added it to my car list!!

only if you have an electronic ebrake will you run into issues and I'm not 100% but pretty sure all MK6 GTI's have hand brake lever..

That makes sense.

don't use the widow maker of a jack the car came with or you may find yourself in other problems.

A few weeks after buying the car I got a flat. Took the jack out and was like WTF is this!!! It worked pretty well but yes I have some floor jacks I will be using along with jack stands. Thanks for the tips!

SyDiko

Ready to race!
I'm 2 weeks late to this thread, but if you're still looking for a shop, send me a PM if you're in the South Shore/South of Boston area of (Massachusetts or Rhode Island) / New England. I can recommend a few shops that'll do front and rears if you bring them the parts for like $160 labor.

Last edited:

TiCoyote

Ready to race!
I brought it to my local shop. They quoted me $750 over the phone, but then said $880 in person. I don't think they were being sneaky.

Anyway, they did a road test and told me that I have poor contact in the front and rust on the rotors in the rear. They said that it was safe to drive, and the pads have a lot of life left, so the only reason to replace them would be to get rid of the pulsation "if it bothered me."

They charged me $47 for the road test.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
$880... wow.

Well as long as you have it resolved. glad to hear your brakes will keep you safe now..

gichoke

Passed Driver's Ed
Sounds like you have a shop you can trust. What does "poor contact" in the front mean? Your pads are uneven? Your rotors are uneven (pad material not evenly distributed on the rotor surface)?