GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Options for Carrying 2 Kayaks

Zach0918

Ready to race!
I have searched and know this has been previously discussed but no clear answer was reached. I would like to haul 2 small (10’) kayak on my Golf. I am going to be there purchasing a used rack locally, there is an OEM and Yakima whisperbar available. I was wondering what would be the best method of securing these 2 kayaks to either rack and of course what model attachments you recommend?

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
I don't have specific attachment model numbers but I've had good luck using the Yakima "J" cradles. They're a pretty basic piece of equipment, any brand of "J" cradle that is compatible with your bars will do. I've only used them on other vehicles but I don't see how it would be any different for our cars. I think the "J" cradles will be necessary to get 2 kayaks on the roof of a Golf because of width restrictions.

After I set the kayaks in the "J" cradles I wrap a ratchet strap around the kayak and roof bar at each cradle and snug it up. You can also add a bow and/or stern line down to the front/rear tow hook. I put my ratchet straps on similar to this:

Zach0918

Ready to race!
I don't have specific attachment model numbers but I've had good luck using the Yakima "J" cradles. They're a pretty basic piece of equipment, any brand of "J" cradle that is compatible with your bars will do. I've only used them on other vehicles but I don't see how it would be any different for our cars. I think the "J" cradles will be necessary to get 2 kayaks on the roof of a Golf because of width restrictions.

After I set the kayaks in the "J" cradles I wrap a ratchet strap around the kayak and roof bar at each cradle and snug it up. You can also add a bow and/or stern line down to the front/rear tow hook. I put my ratchet straps on similar to this:

This is what I was thinking, 2 of them should fit at once right?

I'm trying to figure out if universal attachment like these J hooks fit the Whispbars out the box.