GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BrutalEdge's 2.5 Pseudo-Low and Pseudo-Slow Build

brutaledge_

Greetings my fellow MK6 drivers,

I’ve been on this forum before but for the life of me, cannot remember my username or the email I used to sign up so I’m starting fresh.

I recently moved to California from Texas and while I love the weather and scenery, I don’t like the all the emission regulations. It’s stymied my want for a 2.5L SRI project.

Anyways, I bought my 2012 Golf new and immediately started modding it. At the time, I was a poor college graduate but persisted to mod away anyways.

Within the first month, ST coilers were ordered and installed in addition to dog bone insert, APR CAI, GTI rear valance and custom exhaust, United Motorsports stage 1 tune, some good quality replica LED taillights (forgetting who sold them), and lots of interior mods.

At this point, I was fairly happy with the car and exhausted all the free to spend funds I had at that time. Several years will go by with the car in this shape until my recent move to California.

Then one day, I’m driving home and pass the same construction site I have numerous times before. Only this time was slightly different. As I’m heading home, I start to hear a ticking sound as I drive. The slower I drive, the slower the tick and vice versa. Thought nothing of it and went inside for the night. The next morning, I head to my car to go to work and find this…

Yup, those shiny black 15 inch steelies had rusted over that much over the past six years. I didn’t care at this point since I was pondering a replacement car anyways. And I’m so glad I didn’t follow through with that decision.

As to the flat tire, I jack the car up and proceed to put the spare on when I noticed that due to my stance, the rear tires were basically shot. I was pretty certain that not even the little mom and pop tire shops would patch this tire up, that’s how bad it was. So I said fuck it. Jumped onto TireRack and ordered new wheels and tires all around.

Today, this is how she sits.

I’ve got the itch to do more work on this car. I think I love it more than when I first started modding. The wheels were the tipping point to say that I can keep this car for many, many more years. It’s 6 years old and only 23k miles on the odometer in a climate that will preserve her for even longer.

Coming up this weekend, I’ve got some more work to do. Lightweight under drive pulley will be installed as well as replacing some minor parts for maintenance. I hope to find a spoiler that is similar to the GTI but not $1000 for paint and install that the dealer quoted me. I also need to fix the passenger side front fender as at one point my steelies + spacers grabbed the front fender and pulled it in and caused a gnarly dent. For now, I’m just going to add a matte black vinyl strip to cover the paint as its starting to fleck off.

Happy to be back on the forums with all you guys. I’ve been perusing through the different threads and I can’t wait to contribute.

Cheers,
brutaledge_

brutaledge_

Heres a clip of my exhaust for your listening pleasure. Its absurdly loud...embarrassingly loud. But I love it in the 2k-3k range which you can hear towards the end of the video.

https://youtu.be/XzMulQaVOlc

Cheers.

KollinWithaK

Autocross Champion
Hell yeah, us 2.5's need to stick together. Dig it

As far as finding a spoiler goes, good luck. I've been searching for one for months. A lot of the ones I found are discontinued, and some of the ones on ECS that are listed as fitting a 2.5 don't actually fit a 2.5. Someone today sent me an ebay link with a spoiler that my work, but I don't have the funds to try it at the moment. I've got not problems with ebay parts so far though.