GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rough Idle

reelknead1

Go Kart Champion
So the lady just called me up and said her GTI was idling quite rough on the way to work. This is the second time that she has complained about this but unfortunately no check engine light is being thrown. Last time this happened I made sure all of the coilpacks were seated properly. She has a little less then 19k miles on the car. I'm hesitant to bring it into the dealer without a code as I'm sure they'll just send me on may way without a fix. What would you guys do? I'm really not in a position currently to purchase new coilpacks and honestly I don't feel as though I should have to.

speedster

Go Kart Champion
Wait, ignore all that. You're under warranty. Just take it in and show them. Don't do anything yourself.

---

Try regaping your spark plugs. You just need a tool to do it that costs around $2. In my experience it's actually regaping / new plugs (~$30) that have the biggest impact not the coils.

And you do know the coils are only like $80 or so right?

Cryptic19111

Go Kart Champion
what plugs are you buying for $30? you can get ngk's at ecs for $8 a set

reelknead1

Go Kart Champion
Yeah its a 2012 and is fully covered under warranty. I have an appointment at 2:30 to drop it off at South Charlotte VW. I'm not going in there with high expectations, my thought process is that they will send me on my way saying they couldn't diagnose the problem... I guess its worth a try though.

Fyodor Dostoevsky

Ready to race!
reelknead1:

Did you ever find out the cause of the rough idle problem you posted about back in 2013?

I have a similar issue with my 2013 GTI. Mine is 100% stock and only 17k miles (27.5k km). During idle, normally when the engine is warm, sometimes the engine 'stumbles' every few seconds, as if a cylinder didn't fire correctly. However, sometimes the engine runs perfectly smooth as well. The dealer did a 'scan' and reported "no codes stored".