GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CEL PO299 under boost already changed the DV

Antman1

Passed Driver's Ed
Have a 2013 GTI with 82000 on it. Threw a PO299 code and replaced with a new diverter valve. The CEL came up again. Any ideas on what it could be? Car is stock. I don’t feel any real difference driving so not sure what it could be. My first VW so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Tech72

Ready to race!
Have a 2013 GTI with 82000 on it. Threw a PO299 code and replaced with a new diverter valve. The CEL came up again. Any ideas on what it could be? Car is stock. I don’t feel any real difference driving so not sure what it could be. My first VW so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

My '10 GTI threw a P0299 code as well (amongst other things). I already have the latest DV and checked all the usual turbo underboost issues. So I took it to the VW dealership for a professional diagnostics. It turns out that the P0299 was caused by the play in the wastegate rod for the turbo. The recommended resolution from the VW service adviser was to "replace the turbocharger". I haven't replaced the turbocharger yet.

Good luck with your P0299, hope it is something simple and not too costly.

Antman1

Passed Driver's Ed
I just watched two videos on the wastegate rattle and they both sounded exactly like the rattle I’m getting. If you rev the engine you can really hear it as the revs go down. Car is completely stock but I got it used 13000 miles ago so who knows if it was tuned. Doesn’t look like it was owned by someone who mods. Real bummer at this time of year. I get laid off 8 weeks in the winter so I try to really save at this point to cover winter expenses. My fault though when I bought it I didn’t even know about the tensioner issues which I lucked out of but still didn’t research nearly as much as I should have. I was looking at civic si’s but didn’t like the 2011 thru 15 and tried out this GTI and walked away with is as I thought it was the better car in just about every way. What pisses me off is that reading about this it seems pretty common as with the tensioner and I feel VW should have figured these out sooner as these weren’t new engines at this point. I actually really like the car and was thinking of getting a new golf r in a few years after I pay off credit card dept from irresponsible days but VW seems to have some bad history lately. Oh well that’s my rant. Hopefully it’s not the turbo but it sounds spot on.

Antman1

Passed Driver's Ed
Did I say that’s the end of my rant? I realize that all cars have issues but this car seems to have major ones that can cost a bunch of money. So much as to having to spent 6000 bucks or more to get your engine replaced if a little tensioner fails. What kisses me off is that the moment that there were issues with it VW should have ponies up to put revised stuff in effected cars rather then act like it isn’t a problem. It obviously is a problem because they changed it. That just makes me feel like they are dishonest. Sucks that this is my first go with a VW so makes me that much more upset. I know eyes are going to roll but I have had three Honda’s with nothing even close to stuff like this. A 05 RSX type S, 06 civic si, and an 08 accord which I ran to 150,000 without any issue. If I had a few VW’s before this that gave me no major issue I probably would just accept it and still buy them. Sucks because I really like how they feel more upscale and seem to be better quality then competitors but i would rather have lower quality running stuff then high quality stuff I can’t use. My whole turbo needs to be replaced because of a flap? You have to be kidding me. Apologies to people who have had good luck with VW but I’m fixing this and trading it in before a faulty screw somewhere costs me some rediculous amount. This will really make some enemy’s but maybe a WRX which I also thought of before but didn’t feel the quality was as good. Still don’t like the civic si’s out now and not going to spend over Msrp for a Type R. Sucks this car is pretty much in the best condition a 80000 mile car can be in, I actually liked driving it a lot, and while I’m not sure but I believe it’s never been modded, and I have an issue that shouldn’t come up in a well maintained stock vehicle. What should I look into next? Anyway that’s the end of my rant. Sorry for wasting your time reading this but I’m sure a majority of people have felt this way at some point when this crap happens.

Crusader10143

Passed Driver's Ed
I feel your pain on this subject. I bought my first VW two years ago and didn't do my research and got a 2012 which was the worst year of them all. Cross my fingers though I haven't had any major issues with mine yet and I think its just luck of the draw when it comes to these cars and maintenance.

Antman1

Passed Driver's Ed
Luckily I’m running into some spare cash at the end of the month so I will probably just have the turbo rebuilt. Not sure if I’m going to replace the usual faulty intake manifold too along with it as well as Carbon clean then stage 1 and keep it, or just repair the turbo and get rid of it. I mean if I do all of that will something else go wrong? It’s very well maintained so it would be a shame to get rid of it as I was planning on two more years. Have a few weeks to think about it and cool down. Just surprised a stock car can have all these issues. I expect a well maintained stock car last longer.

Crusader10143

Passed Driver's Ed
Luckily I’m running into some spare cash at the end of the month so I will probably just have the turbo rebuilt. Not sure if I’m going to replace the usual faulty intake manifold too along with it as well as Carbon clean then stage 1 and keep it, or just repair the turbo and get rid of it. I mean if I do all of that will something else go wrong? It’s very well maintained so it would be a shame to get rid of it as I was planning on two more years. Have a few weeks to think about it and cool down. Just surprised a stock car can have all these issues. I expect a well maintained stock car last longer.

These cars are just very finicky. And everyone has their own luck with them. Given yours is a 2013 most of the common problem parts have been replaced with the revised ones: water pump, tensioner, etc. At that mileage a carbon cleaning certainly would be beneficial and at that point its up to you if you just want to replace the intake to be safe.

Antman1

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks I will definitely check it out as soon as a get a chance. I might have just jumped to the worst possible thing second so hopefully it’s not the turbo. If it is looks like a grand to fix it and maybe I will drive it for a while and see how it does. Was really thinking of getting a mk8 GTI or a golf r new in a few years so hopefully this car doesn’t deter me from it. I do understand that things can happen but I also feel that there has to be a decent amount of reliability when things are taken care of right.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I had the same error code and it was the waste gate. They also advised me to replace the turbo charger which an OEM K03 through the dealer with labor costs more than a new K04. I only had like around 36k miles when it went bad but I guess I could blame the fact that I was stage 2... (didn't beat on it much though).

I guess ultimately, if it's the turbo charger going bad and not just sensor as someone else mentioned, you have to find out if you are getting into boost and holding it. I knew mine was definitely bad because it wasn't holding boost at all anymore. It didn't want to build boost or hold it. Was all kinds of fooked.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Oh and regarding your other talk with the Japanese cars, I hear you on that. I always think of eventually going back to one but then I think, the quality of the interior feel so much nicer in a VW. Then I think back to the headaches these cars are and how almost too easy it is to own a Japanese car. It just goes back and forth in my head.

I dunno. I'm nearly paid off and hoping to ride it out car payment free for a while but there are always the temptations of a new car.

Personally, I'd stay away from Honda. Too ricey and basic. If I switched back to Japanese I think I'd go Subaru. Mostly because I don't drive as far nowadays and the MPG of AWD wouldn't be as bad as before when I decided 2WD and went GTI.

If I got another VW, I'd have to see the MK8s because the 7s have too much hit and miss for me to jump on one. I'd also potentially like to look into an R for the AWD. Supposely VW gonna step up the power levels in the GTI and R on the Mk8s. They want something around 280hp for the GTI stock and 350hp for the R. Hope they stick with it.

Antman1

Passed Driver's Ed
I drove it 300 miles this weekend and the CEL didn’t go back on. Maybe it was just something small after getting the diverter valve installed. Going to get the clip for the rattle and keep driving to see if I throw a code again. I did check the MAF sensor and it’s clipped in. Also going to put a boost gauge in so I can see if there is anything funny going on as I haven’t felt a difference. Really need to hold onto this vehicle for a few years as my credit isn’t going to recover enough to get low interest for little longer. It should line up with the new mk8/golf r, WRX/STI, maybe a new CTR. Definitely not going to buy a civic si if they keep using a 1.5 turbo.

gdub09

Ready to race!
Put the clip on and you should be fine. If it gets worse you will have to replace the turbo. I'm stage 2 and never got the code but had the rattle for months. Put the clip on, noise went away and still have yet to get the code. Im at about 100k.

Antman1

Passed Driver's Ed
Update: CEL hasn’t come back on and the noise isn’t coming from the turbo. Sounds the same as all the videos but it’s coming from somewhere under the car. Hmhavent had a chance to really take a look but most likely a loose hanger or something of that nature. So I’m going to drop it off in the next week or so to have it gone through and have a downpipe put on with stage 1 tuning. Wasn’t planning on it till spring but why not. Also going to keep a grand or so aside just case. CEL was probably just a little gremlin from changing the DV. I drove
Another 100 hard miles last night and it’s running great. I also never felt a performance drop so not too worried anymore. Wish there was a way of finding out where the clutch is at. I’m at 82,000 miles and would like to space out 1000 doller mods but have a feeling that will be sooner then later. I already think the car is fun to drive but can’t wait to tune. Next time something goes wrong I will figure out what it is before going off the deep end.

dwilson15

Hope everything works out for you. I popped this code about 3 months ago, bad wastegate. I wasn't really losing that much boost and it didn't seem too major. I just replaced because I had the extra money set aside, however when the turbo was taken off there was quite a bit of oil leaking out of the turbo itself