GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Presents The BFGoodrich MaxR! -- Build Thread --

Halvie

WOOSA
May be slow getting info. I'll be on the road (event, race, event) till Tuesday. If anyone needs to do some trolling, this would be the time to do it as I'll be slow to respond. ; )

Haven't even been able to find a shop that even carries them, so you should be good for a week or so :D

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
I do believe we had to make a few modifications to get everything to work so I'm not sure it will just bolt up just yet.

Over on the mk5 boards we've all discussed putting in the TT mk2 spindles, I believe someone ordered them sorta by mistake and said the tie rods from the GTI weren't compatible. Will be curious to know how you mated them up. It looks like you also installed the TT tie rods? The control arms look nice and level!

TEFF

godfather
To make the TT/TTRS hubs work you need also TT/TTRS track roads (are longer than GTI/R ones). Also the TT/TTRS lower arms + ball joints are a straight swap. Tested on my car.

Good luck with this project guys.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
To make the TT/TTRS hubs work you need also TT/TTRS track roads (are longer than GTI/R ones). Also the TT/TTRS lower arms + ball joints are a straight swap. Tested on my car.

Good luck with this project guys.

I have the TT arms installed now - which was a great upgrade with the additional camber. So you need the complete TT track rods, apparently they attach to the GTI steering rack OK? The fear has been that you'd also need the TT rack, then the TT steering shaft then...

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car pooooooooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn:

GMP - Matthew

Ready to race!
I see APR Motorsport swaybars i think :)

TXBDan

Go Kart Champion
I have the TT arms installed now - which was a great upgrade with the additional camber. So you need the complete TT track rods, apparently they attach to the GTI steering rack OK? The fear has been that you'd also need the TT rack, then the TT steering shaft then...

Arin, please let us know how you got the TT spindles to work with the (presumably) GTI steering rack. Do the TT tie rods work?

Also, any shots of the control arm angle with the stock spindles?

Thanks!

TEFF

godfather
Many guys from UK with GTI spindles and TT lower arms got 2.4 negative camber, but after installing the TT spindles they could not pass 1.5 negative camber, only with extra camber plates

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Many guys from UK with GTI spindles and TT lower arms got 2.4 negative camber, but after installing the TT spindles they could not pass 1.5 negative camber, only with extra camber plates

That's not surprising. Since the ball joint is farther down the range of movement has less effect. I'd be a little surprised if Audi shipped with ability to dial in -2.5 or more (I get -2.7 on full extension with my TT arms and GTI spindles). With the correction though should be able to use less static neg camber.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
A big part of the MaxR build will focus around tightening up a few soft areas around the engine and transmission. The factory Golf R is designed to work for a wide range of customers in loads of different situations. Comfort is always a big concern and one way of making things a bit more comfortable is to give up performance. VW did this was by using soft Engine, Transmission and Subframe mounts. They are not necessarily poor from the factory, don't get me wrong, but there is plenty of room for improvement for the enthusiast.

The factory mounts allow quite a bit of engine movement when accelerating quickly off the line and between shifts. On front wheel drive cars, you'll even experience wheel hop in slippery conditions which can ultimately lead to broken components. To reduce the slop, we worked with VWR to tighten things up a bit.

First item to be replaced were the stock subframe mounts as seen here.

These two pieces are pressed into the subframe and allow for quite a bit of movement. This part alone makes the creates improvement for the money. Engine vibration is kept to a minimum so you still have a very comfortable ride and movement between shifts and take up off the line is much improved.

Here's a shot with the new mount installed:

And here's a little product photography and product page with more info:
http://www.goapr.com/products/mounts_vwr_vaga5.html

Please note, this is a photo for the old GTI mount. The Golf R Mount has a notch in it to clear the swaybar.

Next up on the list are the engine and transmission mounts. These will add a bit more in cabin vibration, which for some may not be ideal, but others report it makes them feel more connected to the car. Vibration is still minimal compared to some solid race mounts, which are overkill for almost even fully built, track dedicated, race cars. Replacing these two parts finishes up where the subframe mount left off. Both the engine and transmission will be unable to rock as much as stock under heavy take offs and between shifts, which can really make a difference when you're trying to get every last bit out of the car.

Here's the stock engine mount vs the VWR engine mount:

Stock

VWR

Transmission Mounts:

Stock

VWR

And you can read more about them here on our product page:
http://www.goapr.com/products/mounts_vwr_vaga5.html