GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help Please .... Going crackers! RTAB ISSUE?

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
Well I've got this issue where the rear of my car steers itself around when it wants to ....
Tends to be when driving on uneven road ways .... High-speed on highways over bumps the rear of my car will sway back and forth. Frightening!

City driving the back will get all wigglely and is absolutely horrible to drive .... Basically correcting crabbing for no reason. Crabbing both ways when the happens. Sometimes it's just wagging back and forth a lot.

Cars got H&R rear sway with 034 endlinks, with maybe 30000km on them.
-also new lower control arm and bushing with powerflex outer bushing in bearing housing.
-powerflex trailing arm bushings (haven't ever serviced these)
-194000km on stock upper control arms.
-034 toe arms.
-stock 194000 km wheel bearings.

Basically this problem is driving me insane and no one can find the issue.

Also I just got an alignment and it did nothing but make the problem more equal side to side ....

Loud clunking from rear of car which I think is the 034 endlinks.

Rear of Car also skips over bumps laterally/ side to side .... Viciously .... Especially over manhole covers the whole back of the car with skip sideways several inches.

Anyone run into issues similar to what in having??

Sent from my stomach using remote control

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
Bumpity clump wump bomp ....
Just like my transmission.

Anyone have a suggestion???

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Did you inspect all the rear bushings sounds like something might be worn?

Have you removed the rear sway to see what happens?

mdo91

A friend of mine with a Mazda3 had a shock in the rear that was sticking/compress but not rebound right away. It made the rear end kick out over bumps because the wheel was still in the air after the bump. With your mod list I'm not really sure though. Could be something else. Good luck.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
A friend of mine with a Mazda3 had a shock in the rear that was sticking/compress but not rebound right away. It made the rear end kick out over bumps because the wheel was still in the air after the bump. With your mod list I'm not really sure though. Could be something else. Good luck.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Thanks.
I don't think it's the shocks as I changed them just to check ....
Wonder if it could be anything to do with my swaybar or endlinks.

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
Put the car back to bone stock and work from there.

Too many mods in the mix from what I'm reading.
Well it shouldn't be hard to put most of the rear back to stock ....

Plus the upper control arm's definitely need changing as there oldddd.

Sent from my wobbly car

Last edited:

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
If I were you I'd get the rear off the ground and grab the tires. Try to move them back and forth to make sure there's not a shot bushing somewhere. There shouldn't be any movement or clunking.

After that, correctly set sway bar end link pre load with the car at ride height. A heavy, uneven amount of sway bar pre load can cause weird issues. Better yet, swap in the OEM rear sway bar and end links to completely rule out the sway bar as an issue.

Last edited:

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
If I were you I'd get the rear off the ground and grab the tires. Try to move them back and forth to make sure there's not a shot bushing somewhere. There shouldn't be any movement or clunking.

After that, correctly set sway bar end link pre load with the car at ride height. A heavy, uneven amount of sway bar pre load can cause weird issues. Better yet, swap in the OEM rear sway bar and end links to completely rule out the sway bar as an issue.
They barely seem to move .... I've tried so many times ....
I gurantee there's a bushing gone somewhere.

I was crabbing like crazy this morning .... Car was downright scary to drive ....

Like it's not just skipping over bumps .... Now it's all over the place even on smooth roads.

Seems when it gets rolling the alignment gets outta joint .... Seems its right more then left.

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
Changed up most of the bushings on the car .... No more crabbing ....

Just got a twitch still over bumps.

Lower rear control arms next ....

Also I got rear pull to the right when driving over snow ....

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
well that's good

OEMPL+S

Go Kart Newbie
To top finish off this thread from years back .... Sold the A3 in 2019 got an ATS and that was short-lived before i returned it because the dealership was dishonest, and then bought an R in summer of 2019 with dsg ....

Last summer the R developed the same rear sideways skip and rear wobbling and tram-lining and it was the same rear lower control arm (also holds bottom of the spring).
Basically if your getting a skipping over manhole cars and your car is skipping sideways after driving over even slight manhole cover bumps and its skipping on the same side outwards as the wheel that passed over the manhole cover, then its likely your RLCA .... I suggest replacing both the rear front lateral link of the knuckle in the rear on the side that's skipping and replacing the RLCA most definitely as its the inner bushing that wears out and makes your German car drive like bunk.

The PQ35 and MQB platform are surprisingly similar and frustrating too ....
Love the R mostly ....

*NOTE - YES I resolved it more from what I last post and the culprit being the two lower lateral links (RLCA and RFLL)