GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY: Auto Dimming Mirror Install with Homelink

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Awesome writeup!

I wish this car came stock with a dimming mirror. :(

Quick question though....does it have on/off?
Or is it always on?

TREGinginCO

Ready to race!
That is a great write-up... because I can probably use that power lead on the map lights to power my V-1 and I can run a shorter line rather than get anywhere near my A-pillar.

jbcritch

Go Kart Champion
That is a great write-up... because I can probably use that power lead on the map lights to power my V-1 and I can run a shorter line rather than get anywhere near my A-pillar.

Yes you can. And there is a company that sells a mounting bracket that fits this mirror perfectly for the V1. Check out www.blendmount.com. Oh, and have you seen the below mirror?

check out www.stealthmirror.com. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• stealth mirror.jpg
    stealth mirror.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 460

GenDV138

Did this today, thanks for the great DIY jb! Trickiest part was getting the wires through the headliner but that wasn't too bad.

GB724

The blue and red wire is always hot in my car. Anyone else run into this? Even after the map lights go out when the car is off, the wire still has power.

EDIT:

The instructions require both hot and switched power wire. However, the map lights in the GTI gain power once a door is opened and retain their power for at least 15 minutes after the engine is shut off. The Homelink unit does not loose its memory, so there is no need for constant power to the Homelink unit. I chose to power both wires with the switched map light wires.

The wire you want is the first/last wire in the blue quick connect. It is red with a blue stripe:

I totally missed this. So after 15 mins or so, it will shut off then?

Last edited:

aeroalex

I previously installed this mirror in my '09 Jetta and ran the wires to the fuse box. I wanted to make things a little easier on my '10 GTI so I gave this install a try and was unsuccessful getting power to the mirror. If you connect both mirror power wires to the same map light power wire (the 2nd connector just a bit further down than the 1st), won't you get a voltage drop? I pulled out my multimeter and found that when the harness was plugged into the mirror and both wires were connected I only saw about 4-6 volts at the connectors. When I unplugged one, the other went back up to 12V. I don't know why I had this issue if several other have done this successfully, though... And I don't have anything skinny enough to test the voltage at the harness, rather than at the connector. So I wanted to try and put one of the other wires on a different 12V source up there, such as power for the bluetooth or sunroof, but wasn't sure which wire was which. Any ideas that I could try?

jbcritch

Go Kart Champion
I previously installed this mirror in my '09 Jetta and ran the wires to the fuse box. I wanted to make things a little easier on my '10 GTI so I gave this install a try and was unsuccessful getting power to the mirror. If you connect both mirror power wires to the same map light power wire (the 2nd connector just a bit further down than the 1st), won't you get a voltage drop? I pulled out my multimeter and found that when the harness was plugged into the mirror and both wires were connected I only saw about 4-6 volts at the connectors. When I unplugged one, the other went back up to 12V. I don't know why I had this issue if several other have done this successfully, though... And I don't have anything skinny enough to test the voltage at the harness, rather than at the connector. So I wanted to try and put one of the other wires on a different 12V source up there, such as power for the bluetooth or sunroof, but wasn't sure which wire was which. Any ideas that I could try?

I believe there is a green/yellow wire, check that.

FYI - I'm not having any power issues with mine and its got both clips on the blue/red wire.