GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SCCA autocross classing for K04

zrickety

The Fixer
I'm looking at the draft rules...they say STH is for street cars with bolt-ons. I'm assuming K04 would bump me into street prepared ('unrestricted induction' although they mention stock turbo), or even SMF. I think I read that boost piping must be stock for STH, so that bumps me out even before the turbo. Rules do give them some leeway, does anyone have insight on this?

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
It’s been a while since I last ran and the rules have changed quite a bit since then, but I’m fairly sure that the SCCA still regards upgraded turbos as a full step beyond a “bolt on” upgrade. A modified or upgraded turbo used to be a ticket straight to SM. I can’t imagine they eased up enough to allow that in ST assuming that’s still the next step up from the stock classes.

zrickety

The Fixer
I know SMF is the obvious choice, but that seems more extreme than my daily driver. Tires are definitely not up to that challenge. I'll quote the new rulebook 'Street Touring...for affordable cars equipped with common suspension and engine mods compatible with street use. Regions are free to allow any other version of the Street Touring concept which meets local needs.'

D Street Prepared 'more extensive mods that may not be suitable for public highway use.'
SMF ' advanced fabrication...extensive conversions'
Not sure my GTI falls into either of those.

Last edited:

zef

Drag Racing Champion
I am KO4'd and I run in SM. To be competitive in autocross you kind of have to build the car around the class you want to compete in, not the other way around...and the MK6 isn't really a top platform to be competing with. Besides, without a diff, you'd probably be slower than a stock turbo GTI anyway.

I pretty much stick to HPDE/Time Trials at this point. My next daily will likely be something I can throw tires on and have fun in a stock class (probably a G37 or something similar).

Oh and I do remember there being an argument not too long ago that all the hot hatch guys with tunes are supposed to be in SM even on the stock turbo...something in the rules about modifying engine management to increase boost. Not sure if that's still true or not. I do know that the SCCA has been working on a hot hatch class, not sure if that's still in the works.

zrickety

The Fixer
STH is the hot hatch class AFAIK. I believe tuning and boost is allowed now, intercooler too, but upgraded pipes are not? It's odd. When I posted this I was considering going for points, but truthfully I can't get there regularly. I love HPDE, just a little more money. I may run STH and just see what happens. Consider myself a decent driver, but I'm no Lewis Hamilton.