GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replace Bixenon Bulbs

(. )( .)

Go Kart Champion
Hi All,

I was wondering if anybody has replaced, or know how to replace their bixenon bulbs. I'd like to have a whiter 6000k bulb, rather than the 4300k stock lighting.

Couldn't find the threads here or on the vortex, and the dealership doesn't want to touch my headlights. I'd like to diy, rather than take it to the shop, but if all fails, i may do that.

Anyone?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: This is with the D1S bulbs.

boostedmk6

Go Kart Champion
Not to jack your thread, but you understand that you'll be losing light output by doing this right?

madbikes

Ready to race!
You're not losing too much for going from 4300K to 6000K, but will still be much brighter than a set of silverstar.

Get Philips 6000K Ultinon bulbs if you choose that color temp. I have them in my current car (not a VW) for 5+ years and still going strong (yes I know HID in reflector is bad). It shines white light with purple hue, but the hue will not be as heavy after you use it for a period of time. I'm told it will appear different on projector, but I haven't seen it yet.

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
I have Morimoto 6000k bulbs...they look way more exotic than oem 4300k IMO

madbikes

Ready to race!

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
i think the stock xenon bulb size is D1S but i still don't know how to change the bulbs myself.

Does anyone know how to change the stock bixenon bulb?!!! There is literally not one post online that I can find on how to do this :mad:

Please help if you've done this job before. :thumbsup:

LBCGTI1

Ready to race!
I did mine and it was real Beeaoch. For the driver side i had to remove the wheel and inner fender shroud to get to it. the passenger side was easier and can be accessed without removing wheel or fender liner. It takes is 1/4 turn CCW to remove than pull the connector which fits really tight and 1/4 turn CW to install the bulb. I got the Osram cool blue intense Xenarc D1S bulbs rated @55k these start blue and than burn white once full hot.

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
I did mine and it was real Beeaoch. For the driver side i had to remove the wheel and inner fender shroud to get to it. the passenger side was easier and can be accessed without removing wheel or fender liner. It takes is 1/4 turn CCW to remove than pull the connector which fits really tight and 1/4 turn CW to install the bulb. I got the Osram cool blue intense Xenarc D1S bulbs rated @55k these start blue and than burn white once full hot.

Another forum member is getting ready to post a DIY on xenon bulb replacement. He said that he found a way, I think, without removing anything from the car. It is a huge pain in the arse for sure. The fuse box on the drivers side really makes it nearly impossible.

Teddy Redskinz

Ready to race!
Hi All,

I was wondering if anybody has replaced, or know how to replace their bixenon bulbs. I'd like to have a whiter 6000k bulb, rather than the 4300k stock lighting.

Couldn't find the threads here or on the vortex, and the dealership doesn't want to touch my headlights. I'd like to diy, rather than take it to the shop, but if all fails, i may do that.

Anyone?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: This is with the D1S bulbs.

Front bumper will have to be removed slightly to get proper access.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16059
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7-BV_Ny-30

IF someone with super small hands can get the proper clearance (without moving the bumper) then all you do is 1) pop off the plastic cap on the back of the assembly 2) disconnect the bulb from the ballast connector 3)twist and remove. Assembly is in reverse order.