GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is my fuel economy crap, or am I just being critical?

mkaresh

Ready to race!
As others have noted, speed kills MPG. Even 60 is faster than the ideal--which is why they cut the speed limit to 55 back in the 1970s.

Wind resistance increases at the cube of speed. It takes eight times as much energy to go twice as fast.

In general engines lose efficiency big time over 2,400 rpm.

So, at what speed is the engine turning 2,400 rpm?

It's why we ask for average speed on our real-world fuel economy survey:

Real-world Volkswagen Jetta / Golf / Rabbit / GTI gas mileage

kgbzz1

Passed Driver's Ed
I got about 200 miles from my first fill up. I guess I am not driving too wisely.

Sounds like you may have a larger problem than a heavy foot. Unless you're thrashing it, I can't imagine your MPGs being anywhere near that low.

I assume you've also checked the pressure in your tires?

I don't fuss over MPGs too much, but I know on the last tank of fuel I clocked about 390 miles. When topped up, I put 13.7 gallons in the tank. The math on that (not exactly scientific) is 28.4 MPG.

I drive 75% city (or more) and 25% hwy.

Alex.

Ready to race!
Its my heavy foot... When I am driving regularly in the city it says I'm getting about 21mpg. When I drive "spiritedly" I get about 14mpg.

Also, in the area that I live in, every light is red, until you activate a pad at the intersection. Most of the time, you accelerate to about 35, then you have to stop at the end of the block.

itzalexbish

Ready to race!
your not the only one...i use to have an 06 gli...and ive had my gti for about a month now...little more thatn 1,700 miles and i dont get as great gas milage as my gli...is it because of the TSi?

cbope

Probably your numbers are not far off, but keep in mind engine break in. Here is a copy/paste from another thread with my consumption:

My Mk6 TSI 118kW + DSG7 5-door gets:

(all in L/100)

City: ~7.7 (30.5 mpg)
Highway: 5.9 (39.9 mpg)
Combined city/highway: 7.0 avg (33.6 mpg)

The combined number is my normal daily commute to/from work, about 8km in the city and 22km highway. I could probably get better than 5.9 on the highway, the problem is my right foot :D

My highway speeds are ~65mph avg on my daily commute. I noticed my consumption numbers slowly dropped during break-in. After maybe 2-3000 miles it stabilized.

Last edited:

cbope

In general engines lose efficiency big time over 2,400 rpm.

Ummm, not necessarily. It depends on which efficiency you are talking about in an engine. For example, VE (volumetric efficiency) generally increases with rpm, although it will typically reach a peak before max rpm. The VE of a supercharged or turbocharged engine will be higher than that of a naturally aspirated engine at the same rpm.

I think you mean a car in general loses efficiency at higher speeds, which is true when you take into account air drag, drivetrain friction, road drag and so on.

mrbenyong

Passed Driver's Ed
drive it under 2000 rpm, just letting go of the gas and reappling to reach back to 2000rpm on and off, u would be amazed how much gas u save

Flux1

Passed Driver's Ed
i think your readouts look fine, you should stay in the 60-70 zone. If you're going above that you're looking for performance and not mileage lol

flc1962

I'll stay with the TDi loads of mid range torque. 0-60 who cares and with the amount of cops and cameras around the UK its hard to do the max. I'm getting 50mpg uk and doing 75/80 on the Mways :).

Its not tweaked as yet that will happen after 1000 miles adding an extra 30BHP and 50 torques its also supposed to up the MPG with even less gear changes....:23:

sleepergti86

APRTuned
I am only getting like 240-260 miles per FULL tank, my stage 3 FSI was getting 300! I have mixed driving, but i dont beat on the car, the TSI is drinking fuel!

My 1.8T stock would see 370 miles per tank EASY!

kgbzz1

Passed Driver's Ed
I am only getting like 240-260 miles per FULL tank, my stage 3 FSI was getting 300! I have mixed driving, but i dont beat on the car, the TSI is drinking fuel!

That is really odd since I'm getting between 370 and 390 per tank. Car is still in "break-in" (approx. 1500 miles) with mixed driving. Not really getting on it too much, but when cruising on the highway I hit speeds of 80mph or better.

cbope

Sounds really low. My stock 118kW TSI/DSG7 gets ~430-440 miles/tank with "normal" day-to-day driving (about 25% city / 75% hwy). On a long trip, could easily hit the 500+ mark...

Giblets

Passed Driver's Ed
Your GTI should be giving you a lot more than the mpg you quoted at the start of this thread, however it would be unfair to compare my car as it has a different engine to the North American spec and we run our cars on much higher grade fuel over here (which clearly bumps up the mpg figures going on your quotes).

That said today I drove from Herts to Manchester and back (340 miles) and returned 40mpg overall for the trip while at a steady 80mph all the way there and back.

Not bad for a 210bhp petrol car I'd say.

waffleman

Ready to race!
The gas is actually the same in Europe as in the US, the octane rating is just measured differently. Thus
87 octane in the USA = 92 octane in Europe
89 octane in the USA= 94 octane in Europe
92 octane in the USA = 97 octane in Europe

Be careful when comparing MPG in Europe vs. USA. An imperial gallon is 20% larger than a US gallon, so if someone is getting 50 MPG in the UK, it's like getting 40 MGP in the USA.

I don't miss those darn speed cameras in the UK - though at least they were highly visible and fairly easy to circumvent. I'm now in Virginia and the cops are all over with laser and radar traps - oh, how I miss my Valentine. I don't dare put it up here since it's illegal in VA.